is 1GB of Ram enough

Posted by: gnfnr2k

is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 12:08 PM

I was thinking of getting more RAM. I have 4 256k sticks but when ever I am uploading something or doing a file trasfer my browing over the net is always super slow. Should I just get more RAM? If so should I just get two 1 GB sticks or get 4 more 256k?<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 12:30 PM

I think that's more of your internet connection. What type do you have? Dial up or broadband? If broadband, which: DSL or cable?<br><br>And as for ram, the more the better/faster your machine will run. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 02:03 PM

I agree with what OSXA says--it's probably your network. But definitely the more RAM, the better. My little 12" PB has only 1.25 GB of RAM, and it sometimes chokes. My tower has 3.5 GB of RAM, and it never chokes.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 02:19 PM

I have DSL<br><br>

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 03:56 PM

Isn't DSL limited by it's upload speed?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 03:57 PM

I've had DSL as well, and now have cable, and sometimes things on line just slow down. But in any case, more RAM certainly can't hurt!<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 04:00 PM

It depends on the type of DSL service (tier). The cheapest DSL service is much slower than standard cable these days. Even cable has it's limits on upload speed. My cable upload speed is about 384 kbs as opposed to the 7mbs download speed.<br><br>

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 04:01 PM

Forgot to ask:<br><br>How big of a file are you uploading? or transfering?<br><br>Apparently there are different tiers of DSL. I wonder which you have? And, you could call your ISP and ask them why it's so slow.<br><br>

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 04:11 PM

DSL speed is also determined by the distance to the Central Office - at least, it was at one time. Maybe they've improved that recently.<br><br>

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 04:12 PM

Mine is a bit slow download this evening, but the upload speed is better than it usually is.<br><br>Download: 3198 (Kbps)<br>Upload: 463 (Kbps)<br><br><br>

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/14/07 04:22 PM

My speed is the 3.0 mps plan<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/15/07 05:55 AM

I know what you're talking about. The RAM will definitely help. The problem isn't with the internet connection, it's the fact that your PowerBook is choking on the information coming and going through the lines. Your internet connection is feeding and sending information faster than your computer can process it. More RAM is going to help that, especially under OSX (which you barely have enough RAM installed to run to begin with).<br><br>I would get the most RAM you can afford.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/15/07 05:58 AM

I'll have to try that theory when I get home. My iMac has less than 1GB of ram.<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: is 1GB of Ram enough - 10/15/07 11:18 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>DSL speed is also determined by the distance to the Central Office - at least, it was at one time.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Due to the technology, that will always be a factor. The only thing that can change is if they build a CO closer to you, but if it's like here the infrastructure is so complex that to build a new one and reroute all the lines to it is totally out of budget and logistically a nightmare for the local Ma Bell. We live practically in the middle of a city, but can't get DSL, only cable, because we're at the West end of the CO limits. If one goes a half mile west, the other side of the North-South dividing freeway, the CO is only about a mile away. <br><br>Telco's over sell DSL, they will give you a range your speed *might* be due to all the factors like distance, and line quality both physically and electronically. I have seen a few people with an upper tier DSL package, but with their distance from the CO there was no way they could get what they were paying for.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game