Getting ready for "The Cat "

Posted by: DLC

Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/01/07 04:08 PM

Well I have added 2 Gb of RAM, ordered a new video card, and just a few minutes ago ordered a new internal HD 750 GB in prep for Leopard and "Time Machine". Cost about $600. Sure it's a chunk... but I should make my old G5 last at least 2 more years... or until 10.7 !! <br><br>Lord knows by 2009-10 we'll have 16 core, 4 GHz Intel processors on a 10 micron architecture ! ... and we can all play Halo 4 at 500 fps !! <br><br>WHAT are you doing to prepare ??<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/01/07 08:14 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>WHAT are you doing to prepare ??<p><hr></blockquote><p>Steeling myself against all the hype. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/01/07 08:42 PM

I'm asking for at least a 500 GB external HD for my birthday. Or maybe an internal one--haven't figured out what'd be best for my set up quite yet.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Trog

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/01/07 10:52 PM

I don't care what the data says about the bandwidth of firewire (or firewire 800), gimme an internal drive any day.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/02/07 05:13 AM

I already have an external 250GB HD to go with the internal 250GB on the MacPro. I **may** get another internal 500GB drive after I see how well Time Machine works.<br><br>The biggest thing I'm going to do to prepare for Leopard is to NOT install it. That's right, I'm going to let the box sit on my desk for a week or so and watch everyone else suffer any issues and wait for the resolutions to come out before installing.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: G4Dualie

I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/02/07 08:24 PM

I placed my order for the 2.8GHz 24" iMac yesterday. It should arrive on or about October 10. Here's hoping it arrives on Monday.<br><br>I will spend the next few weeks, in anticipation of Leopard, breaking it in...<br><br>I also bought the Elgato Hybrid so that I can connect my xbox 360 and PS up to it. I won't be investing too much time and effort by transferring my current user profile to the iMac, nor will I be installing much software other than games and perhaps FCS, just in case the machine gets flaky and freezes from poor graphics drivers.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/03/07 05:17 AM

Sheesh. You should have waited another few weeks. You would have gotten Leopard for free.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/03/07 07:44 AM

I'm waiting a while as well - I want the Adobe issues sorted out before I jump.<br><br><br><br><br>--------------<br> [color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/03/07 08:26 AM

G4 do you get a free upgrade being so close ?<br><br>a shame if you don't !<br><br><br>yeah that 24" looks like heaven... and dang dual 2.8 Ghz...sheezz... more than most need, but an old pro like yourself I'm sure will find some uses and ways to "push the envelope" !! <br><br>Enjoy !!<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/03/07 08:40 AM

meh... <br><br>You might have but there are greater issues at play here besides getting something for free.<br><br>For one, I want to experience the joy of moving from a five year-old computer to state-of-the-art technology and what better way to do that than by setting up the two computers side-by-side in contrast to one another? Once the novelty of the new hardware has subsided, I have Leopard to look forward to.<br><br>Tiger has fully matured and all of my current software works like butter and I can expect the same, but faster, performance with the new iMac.<br><br>I also don't want Leopard pre-installed. I'll want a full copy in a box and not as part of some computer suite of software.<br><br>In the mean time, I can CCC the iMac's Tiger drive and perform a restore if it becomes necessary.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/03/07 08:54 AM

I'm not really interested in an "upgrade-type" disc that only works if you already have a full install of Tiger on the drive. I'll want the complete package.<br><br>I'm sure will find some uses and ways to "push the envelope" !!<br><br>Oh, I'll be pushing it alright. In fact, my intent is to try and "break" it, if you know what I mean? It will remain on 24/7 running high-def movie trailers, rendering 3D, and whatnot, for the next fourteen days.<br><br>Thank you DLC, and I will enjoy the moment and you too can enjoy the fruits of my labor.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/03/07 10:25 AM

"I'm not really interested in an "upgrade-type" disc ...... I'll want the complete package."<br><br>WHAT !!? <br><br><br>well I can't argue with that, good point. <br><br>yeah those "upgrade" disks are like XXXs on a boar hog !!<br>By upgrade I really meant a "free copy", bad choice of words on my part. I'd want to archive my disc and do a full install... not some "add-on". Just avoids future problems.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/03/07 12:04 PM

If events pan out properly, I should have a virtual duplicate to my MDD by the time Leopard is in my hands. I'll immediately install the OS and all my apps and watch for fireworks. Of course, if history indicates anything, Leopard won't arrive in Canuckistan until after it's been tamed in the U.S.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/03/07 02:21 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>WHAT are you doing to prepare ??<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'll clone my HD, and I may actually do an Archive and Install. It's been over 5 years since I wiped the system on this MDD.<br><br>The video card is upgraded already and the RAM is maxed, and a terabyte internal is enough drive space I think.<br><br>Maybe get a new MacBook too. It's got to the point where my MDD does fine for my daily usage, but I need a machine that can boot the Intels. I can't go Target Disk mode and boot an Intel off of my PPC's to run diagnostics.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/03/07 02:33 PM

I'll move things around and install Leopard the day I get it! Can't wait.<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/04/07 05:49 AM

Just keeping an eye on my checkbook. <br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/04/07 06:58 AM

[color:blue]"Canuckistan"</font color=blue><br>Canuckistan? <br>My geography is so bad. <br>I couldn't find it on any map. I assume it's near Toronto.<br><br><br>

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/04/07 07:21 AM

Yeah, you know... that barren wasteland harbouring all the terrorists, north of you folks... the second largest country in the world... Canuckistan! <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Topper

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/04/07 07:23 AM

Oh, that one! The Mexico to the north. <br>Where all my countrymen have fled. <br><br><br>

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/04/07 08:44 AM

Si, senior!<br><br>- alec -

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 12:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm not really interested in an "upgrade-type" disc that only works if you already have a full install of Tiger on the drive. I'll want the complete package.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Apple hasn't shipped an "upgrade-type disc" since OSX shipped. Every release disc made since has been a full install disc. None have required a previous installation of ANY OS, let alone the previous one. <br><br>Further, the discs that ship with a computer are actually the same discs you get in the box, only with a different label on them - and of course they include iLife and the freebie apps. But the OS is exactly the same. The "enabler" files that used to be shipped with individual machines died with OS9 (thankfully).<br><br>So, you need not worry about how you get the disc (retail vs. machine install discs) with OSX. However, I will say that it is nice to buy the retail (boxed) OS because then you have a copy of each OS and you can drop down a version if you wish for compatibility with existing apps, etc.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 01:21 PM

Thanks for clearing that up but it doesn't change any thing for me. I'll still buy the retail version to add to my collection of cats...<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 01:58 PM

Welll, G4 .........<br><br>aint that the "Cat's Meow "!! <br><br><br>UPDATE: got the 3 Gb of RAM installed, and just got the Radeon XT 800 Video Card today (surprise) ..... sweet !!<br><br>now just waiting for the 750 Gb HD.<br><br>can you believe the 26th ?? sounds good to me !!<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 03:07 PM

Great!<br><br>I received my Elgato Hybrid today. Unfortunately it doesn't work with my G4 even with the Sonnet Tempo Trio installed, which boasts USB 2.0. I'm sure I'll have better luck with the iMac.<br><br>From all the rumors going around the internet today, I imagine Leopard is going to add much more value to our computing experience than is inherent in just the computer alone.<br><br>I may have to see about getting an &#63743;TV.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 03:16 PM

I would like to have one of those Elgato Hybrids. Please let me know how it works for you.<br><br>I have an &#63743;TV and I can tell you that I love having it!<br><br>

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 04:36 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Apple hasn't shipped an "upgrade-type disc" since OSX shipped. Every release disc made since has been a full install disc. None have required a previous installation of ANY OS, let alone the previous one. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Nope, that is not true. <br><br>They did that with Panther when I bought my G5, and I can verify it. I still have the disk and it required that I had the previous system already loaded or it simply wouldn't install Panther. A blank disk resulted in a huge red exclamation mark.<br><br>Here is just one of a couple threads where I was bitching about it.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 10/05/07 07:54 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 04:53 PM

Here we go with the full bitchiness. Looks like it perplexed you back then too. <br><br>

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/05/07 08:11 PM

I have that upgrade disk. Came with my powermac G5 too.<br><br>

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/06/07 08:52 AM

Well, I'm still perplexed. Cause I used my G5 install discs to install OSX Panther on my G3 iBook, G4 tower and the G5 - none of which had anything at all installed on the HD at the time. The reason I was using the G5 disc instead of the Retail Panther disc was because I wanted the little "extra" apps that come with a machine vs. the retail OS discs.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/06/07 09:11 AM

That's because you bought your G5 after Panther was released. John and I got the first ones that shipped with Jag-wire, and so we received "upgrade" disks at reduced price (and functionality, apparently).<br><br>By the way, just because I think its relevant here, the disks that come with machines are often set to load only for that machine as well. For example, the Tiger install disks that came with my Mac Pro will not load Tiger onto my Macbook Pro. It gives me an error when the installer comes up stating it is for the wrong machine. I get around that by using the parent machine to run the disk and booting the installation machine into firewire mode. Suck it, Apple.<br><br>As for why I would ever want to do that, the Macbook Pro is actually owned by the school and they won't give me the install DVDs. Suck it, school.<br>

Re: I'll be ready for the cat... - 10/06/07 09:19 AM

Suck it school indeed! Our IT has this stupid rule. If you want to have administrative privileges then they'll give it to you, but they won't provide any support if you have problems--not a big deal for someone like me, but for most people, a real problem. If you want support, then you can have administrative privileges, but IT won't do things like install OS updates, or anything else that requires administrative privileges. It sucks a wet one.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/08/07 10:15 AM

Just got my 750 Gb HD and ripped out the original 160 Gb and replaced it. I have a total of about 950Gb now on 2 drives and 4 partitions.<br>Partitioned the 750 into 2 disks... Leopard (246 Gb) and Data 4 (452 Gb).<br><br>Someone "Splain this" to me. Why does a 750 Gb drive have only 698 Gb of space... does it really need the other 52 Gb for other stuff ? Geez - seems like a big waste.<br><br>OK I'm set to go for Oct 26th !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/08/07 10:34 AM

I remember reading somewhere about why a drive is "missing" space like that, but I forgot why.<br><br>What brand did you get? I have 2 internals, a 200 and 500GB. Both are almost full!<br><br>

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/08/07 10:46 AM

Here you go.<br><br>

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/08/07 02:12 PM

Kinda like Lowe's and Home Depot advertising lumber as 2 X 4s when they're really 1.5 X 3 " !!<br><br>Course this has been the case with lumber since I can remember (1950's).<br>Seems awfully deceptive.<br><br>BTW my drive is a Seagate... I haven't noticed a huge difference between manufactures- I've had them all - Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate, IBM... They all worked pretty good to me.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/09/07 10:42 AM

I was just looking to upgrade my RAM from the 512 that came with my (early 2006) iMac 2.0GHz Core Duo 20inch.<br><br>I bought and installed a 1GB RAM to make it 1.5GB.<br><br>However I just found This RAM 2GB for $60.99. and want to buy 2. (4GB)<br><br>it's only $20 more for 4GB than the 1GB i bought maybe a year ago? how can you go wrong with that?<br><br>but it looks like the max RAM i can put in this CoreDuo iMac is 2GB????? Anybody have any info to the contrary?<br><br>i'm also looking at this 500GB USB2.0 Hard drive for Time Machine...<br><br>

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/09/07 12:10 PM

WOW ..if it's a reliable drive- that's better deal than I got !!<br><br>I paid $192 for a 750 GB internal !<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/09/07 12:15 PM

Well now, I am typing this on the new keyboard connected to my new iMac. The mac came in a couple of days early and that's always good.<br><br><br><br>I cannot begin to tell you how good this feels. The screen is huge, bright and beautiful! The keyboard is very responsive and took little or no time to get used to.<br><br>There are no dead pixels nor any other screen anomolies I've read about. <br><br>This feels really good.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/09/07 12:56 PM

We Mac people certainly do have an "interesting" relationship with our machines. <br><br>

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/09/07 01:02 PM

My whole experience is best expressed by my tiny dancer!<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/09/07 01:09 PM

I'm sure she is always with you so hold her close.<br><br>

Re: Getting ready for "The Cat " - 10/09/07 01:33 PM

Yeah, I wonder how reliable that HD is? <br><br>Personally I would go for Seagate or the new Western Digital My Book's<br><br>

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/09/07 02:36 PM

I bought one of the new keyboards a few weeks ago, and love it. I guess some people complain about it, but like you I find it very responsive and easy to get used to.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Last segment Done !! - 10/09/07 03:01 PM

And blowing toast and cookie crumbs off the keyboard is a snap!<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)