Holding off installing X

Posted by: KateSorensen

Holding off installing X - 05/19/01 02:36 PM

I am going to wait until new Macs ship with OS X installed before I get around to loading it myself. Too chicken to be the first into the pool. I'll wait and see if the water is shark infested first!<br><br>Zippity Do Dah!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/19/01 03:07 PM

I'm with you, Kate. Three things are keeping me from taking the plunge into titanium bliss. 1) Money 2) All the problems I've read about -- while it's probably not all that bad, waiting for Rev. B couldn't hurt and 3) The fact that it costs $99 to $129 to buy and install OSX. Supposedly it will come installed starting this summer. Waiting is the best way, in my opinion, too.<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/19/01 03:24 PM

Hi Kate,<br>As you would expect, I have used Mac OS X extensively so at least I can pretend that I know what I am talking about! :-)<br><br>That being said, the software is great, but I don't feel it is ready for prime time. I am still using Mac OS 9.1 myself.<br><br>Stan<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

OSX - 05/22/01 07:25 AM

OSX is now being preinstalled on the G4 desktops...and if you buy any mac now you can upgrade to OSX for free <br><br>I have had OSX installed on my G4/500 since the Public Beta came out and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm no wiz-kid when it comes to computers..but find OSX to be easy to get used to..in my opinion. I use it solely as my main OS..of course I only use my mac for home use.<br><br>

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/22/01 08:24 AM

I agree. If I had the spare time and spare G$. I'd install and play with X. When Photoshop, Illustrator, etc are built for X ...THEN I will be ready to dive in! <br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/22/01 11:20 AM

yeah well I have to wait for a new computer before I can try it ... So I may as well wait until one ships with it if I am going to buy... anyway I need a job and some money first...<br><br>but my son has been running it since well pre-beta stages so I know it... sort of.. and yes it is a ways before finished yet<br>..

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/22/01 11:36 AM

I've only just got my head-round 9.1.<br>What do they say about old dogs ;-)<br>Do you think i can be re-trained.<br><br>
Posted by: Mac007

Caution is always best - 05/26/01 01:27 PM

I took a cautious approach to MacOS X. I got an external firewire drive to give it a test run before installing it on my main drive. This has two main benefits: <br><br>1) You don't have to worry about losing critical files while you evaluate the new OS. <br><br>2) Once you choose to upgrade you have a backup if unforeseen problems crop up.<br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/26/01 02:14 PM

here's the skinny, the Finder is still far too slow... and i recommend you join the Xlist, there have been any number of illuminating emails delineating just why the Finder is sooooo slow... (and yes, i know very well that other processes in OS X run quite well, fast and all that... but what good is a Ferrari when switching gears takes ten seconds? that is to say that one still has to negotiate through the MacOS X GUI through the dog-slow Finder) of course, this will be discussed ad infinitum et ad nauseum... but do go here:<br>"For subscribing, unsubscribing or changing to a digest or individual version, visit<br> http://www.MacEvangeList.com/ocg/ <br>and get on the Xlist"... heh heh<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/26/01 06:24 PM

I've been running X since it came out and have not regreted it a moment. Yes the Finder is slow, but not so slow that it's unusable. On the other hand, if you burn CDs or want to use DVDs, don't do X yet. Those are the only times I ever go back into 9.1. The best thing about X? Well, since I installed it back on March 24th, I've had one kernel panic, on the 24th. And that's the only time I've been forced to restart the computer other than for the system updates. Not shabby, I think <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Holding off installing X - 05/26/01 06:30 PM

Finder unusable? never said that... is it frustrating as all hell? you bet. Xlisters, to a person, find it unacceptable that the Finder is such a dog... do they use X? yes. i won't, not until the Finder gets at least 90% of the speed that the Finder has in 9.1... i was overjoyed to use the OS X Public Beta, i was crestfallen when i fired up the "official" release... and btw, i jumped on both at the earliest possible chance<br><br>

half baked - 05/27/01 05:58 PM

OSX is simply not ready to play with the big boys yet.<br><br>Slow, not enough apps, etc... its all been said before. I suggest you all wait for 10.1 at the earliest.<br><br>Not to mention, Apple is gonna have one hell of a time troubleshooting this thing - UNIX is a bitch to repair. Let alone for newbies...<br><br>It will mature in time. But right now, OS9 is still king of the castle, and trounces OSX in every respect. Yeah, even stability.<br><br><br>

Re: half baked - 05/27/01 06:11 PM

could NOT agree more... it is simply no contest at this point, 9.1 trounces X<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: half baked - 05/27/01 08:33 PM

Cipher's right about the applications, and you're both right that X is not ready for newbies. I'll grant you that.<br><br>I love it nonetheless. I'd say call me crazy, but you'll probably do that anyway <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 05/27/01 11:34 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: not even cooked - 05/27/01 09:58 PM

forgive me for being stupid... oh I know you won't..so I may as well start by saying it.. but isn't X somehow the same as that old X386 that WINTEL has finally dispensed with? <br>Im just a simple Mac user who came in to this conciousness late in life and UNIX may as well be XNIU as far as how much I know about it...looks like I will be using OS 9.1 for a while yet.... well until 9.5 that is.<br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?

Re: not even cooked - 05/27/01 10:13 PM

yer WAY off... "At its core, Darwin uses BSD" a flavor of UNIX... <br><br>see here<br><br>and<br><br>here too<br><br>and<br><br>this ain't bad<br><br>oh and by the way, Sherlock works very well heh heh <br><br>

evolution - 05/27/01 11:14 PM

yes I have been inside the Darwin project looking around, since may/99 but the other comment I made well that was related to something I read... oh well nevermind it may have been my deafness wall again.<br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: evolution - 05/28/01 07:51 AM

I use OSX all the time...find it a lot more stable than OS9.1. <br><br>