What the heck does this mean?

Posted by: Trog

What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 08:59 AM

I've had a lot of issues with firewire backup lately. I really need to "clean the garage", because I don't know where to start with the problem. But, I look in the console and this is listed like 19,000 times. What the heck does this mean?<br><br><br><br>Oct 5 08:45:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:46:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:47:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:48:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:49:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:50:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:51:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:52:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:53:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:54:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:55:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br>Oct 5 08:56:56 Jehovah launchd: org.postfix.master: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal<br><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 09:20 AM

You have a religious virus?<br><br>Sorry. I don't have a clue. I've never looked in the console before and now I wish I hadn't. Nothing but scary stuff there.<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 09:51 AM

Somewhere along the line you set up your Mac to send mail with it's own SMTP server? That would be the postfix part in the message.<br>The last part means it's not working<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 10:00 AM

I did? That's weird. I'll poke around in Mail to see what I find.<br><br>Thanks Lori!<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 10:01 AM

I'd run DW on your external drive for starters.<br><br>

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 10:11 AM

Actually you must have done something in terminal that has to do with the launch services, that's the launchd<br>http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/launchd.8.html<br>The org.postfix.master part has to do with the Mail server (OS X built in)<br>The whole last part of the message means that it wasn't working after 60 seconds so the process is stopped<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 10:15 AM

Yeah, and look for a jehovah witness who lost his way<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 10:23 AM

Wha? I wouldn't even know how to do that without explicit instructions, so I don't see how this happened. But, sounds harmless for now. <br><br>I was just scouring the terminal for problems due to my firewire backup. I've been using Deja Vu for years without a hitch. About a month or two ago it started giving me errors. I would wipe the drive and start over, reinstall the software, but nothing changed. Often after the error the drive would be unusable. If I tried disk utility it wouldn't be able to unmount the drive to even check it.<br><br>So, I bought a new drive thinking that was the problem. It wasn't <br>Its also not Deja Vu, because CCC just freezes part way through the backup too.<br><br>I don't know. I need a clean garage to collect my thoughts.<br><br>

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 11:35 AM

You must renounce the Devil. Cast him out of thy drive.<br><br>Seriously, one or more of the files you're backing up may be corrupt. I had a similar problem last year. I started by running individual backups of individual folders. Only 4 or 5 rounds in, I found the bad folder. So then I started backups file by file. Took me over a dozen rounds, but, it turned out to be a bad QXP file. Oddly enough, the document opened and acted fine, but somehow it was wreaking havoc with the backup process. I trashed the file, and backups went back to normal. Go figure.<br><br>BTW, I use CCC.<br><br>

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 04:43 PM

You know, I think you're right. I'll do that.<br><br>Oh, and I also think you make a good point about the corrupt files causing the problem. <br>I've got like 150 gigs of files, gonna take a while to figure out.<br><br>Does this mean I have to pay you again?<br><br>

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 05:12 PM

A hug would have been enough, Trog.<br><br><br>My eyes! My eyes!!!<br><br>

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 05:37 PM

Don't tell me you clicked that for the third time! <br><br><br>I thought you knew the old saying... <br><br><br><br><embed src="http://weinertlab.kicks-ass.org/~hunter/rhett2/quicktime/foolbush.mov" autoplay="false" width="350" height="275"><br><br>

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/05/05 07:03 PM

Well, I was kinda expecting something different. <br><br>