Backing up in Tiger...

Posted by: Trog

Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 08:00 AM

...is not an easy task at the moment. BOTH Carbon Copy Cloner and Deja Vu are broken.<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 08:25 AM

How about Disk Utility?<br><br><br>For Mike
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 09:21 AM

Gahhh!!! I was just about to install Deja Vu for doing backups now that I have Tiger installed on my G5. I was wondering if it was time for a "what do you use to backup in Tiger?" thread... I guess you beat me to it.<br><br><br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 09:42 AM

Can Disk utility do scheduled drive to drive backups like these apps?? I don't understand.<br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 09:47 AM

I am pretty sure it is not scheduled. I think it is a one time deal, but I don't know.<br>It would suffice until the other apps get updated maybe.<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 10:05 AM

Retrospect is due out on Thursday<br>CCC gives no date on the website, but suggests to use Disk Utility in the meantime.<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 10:08 AM

Oh, I see. I think until Deja Vu returns I'll just do the old-fashioned drag and drop method. Believe it or not it still works! <br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 10:25 AM

Siverkeeper form LaCie is not compatible either, so the restore feature in Apple Disk Utility will have to do. <br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:10 AM

You can backup via automator ...the only downside is that it will do a full backup every time until someone writes an action to only update changed files.<br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:19 AM

ah come on zach, go ahead and write an action. then you can send it to Apple and be a hero! <br>PS...you know I'm only playing with ya betwen here and MC..ha <br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:24 AM

How about Synk<br>works in Tiger...$20<br>I searched all over and found it for you, ok, I saw it on MM's front page.ha<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:28 AM

lol ...I already downloaded the PDF on how to make automator actions. ...I'll have to install Xcode in a bit and fool around with it. Although someone else will be this hero <br><br>any idea when your tiger is gonna ship?<br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:29 AM

Thanks. I leave town next week for the remainder of the month. I expect to return home and have ALLLL the Tiger bugs completely eliminated for me. <br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:40 AM

It came yesterday around 4 PM. I installed using the Upgrade option on the iBook first. Everything A OK there.<br>I backed up my iPhoto Library and my iTunes Library to my iPod and various other stuff to DVD, then installed/Upgrade on my iMac.<br>Everything is running smoothly.<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:42 AM

Sweet! ...just let me know if you run into a problem with folder shortcuts in your dock <br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:51 AM

Now that you ask, I'd like a shortcut so that if a put a folder in the dock, when I click on it it will archive the folder. What do you think, can you make that shortcut for me?<br><br><br>For Mike

Now that you ask, I'd like a shortcut so that if a put a folder in the dock, when I click on it it will archive the folder. What do you think, can you make that shortcut for me?<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:53 AM

What the heck! Three posts, how did I do that?<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 11:54 AM

I heard you the first time <br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 12:32 PM

So how do you like those pretty flowers?<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 01:25 PM

I just found this little gem... only costs $19 and the reviews on MacUpdate are pretty positive.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 01:27 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> What the heck! Three posts, how did I do that?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>With two backups?<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 03:56 PM

It's still easy. At the carbon copy cloner web site it shows you how to do it via command line:<br>http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html<br><br>It also shows an alternative method if you can download and install the latest version of psync, and a couple of perl libraries. I went through the trouble of doing that and now I can backup by going to the terminal and typing:<br> sudo /usr/local/bin/psync -d / /Volumes/BackupDrive<br><br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 08:48 PM

Yeah, but the link I provided is a GUI for the psync commands, AND it allows you to visually schedule the backups, rather than having to invoke them every time you want to make a backup.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/04/05 10:38 PM

Yeah, but yours also costs $ <br><br>Thank you both.<br><br>

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 12:07 AM

A backup solution that requires you to type codes into the terminal is hardly a solution, dontcha think? I mean, if you have to actually do something, you might as well just drag the folders to a backup drive manually.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 06:11 AM

Get .Mac - use Backup 2!!!<br><br>- alec

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 08:23 AM

And just how the heck am I supposed to back up 120 GIGS to .Mac's tiny little allotment of space? Not to mention that it's slow to copy compared to backing up to an external HD.<br><br>I used .Mac to backup my bookmarks, cookies, and a few other doo-dads, but nothing important.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 08:53 AM

I use Backup with my LaCie drives - a great replacement for Retrospect.<br><br>- alec

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 08:58 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>A backup solution that requires you to type codes into the terminal is hardly a solution<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yep, good point.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Get .Mac - use Backup 2!!!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Now that really costs a lot of $$<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 09:13 AM

I'm one of those complete hayseeds...I just copy the files manually!<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 09:38 AM

I use Backup with my LaCie drives - a great replacement for Retrospect.<br><br>Same here- works great for me!<br><br><br>[color:green]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=green>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/05/05 10:19 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I'm one of those complete hayseeds...I just copy the files manually!<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Me too. I figure I need the exercise.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

New version just came out - 05/05/05 12:14 PM

New version of Deja Vu just came out today.<br>Deja Vu 3.1<br><br>

Re: New version just came out - 05/05/05 12:40 PM

And new features to boot! Love that software.<br><br>

Re: New version just came out - 05/05/05 02:22 PM

Deja Vu came out first !<br>Now that's customer service !<br><br>
Posted by: Dissenter

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/12/05 06:10 PM

Thanks for that link to Synk. I downloaded it and have 29 more days. It works just fine for me. <br><br>I noticed this for the price.<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>As I am a starving student myself, I understand how tight budgets are. As such, single-user licenses of Synk 5 are free to students and faculty of accredited educational institutions. Send me an email from your school email address to receive your registration code.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Does anyone here have a school email account I can borrow for a quick email? <br><br>

Re: New version just came out - 05/13/05 10:11 AM

LaCie's free back up program Silverkeeper has been available for a week now<br><a href="http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/" target="free" <em> Silverkeeper</em> </a><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Backing up in Tiger... - 05/26/05 09:50 AM

psync for me is _not_ backing up extended attributes in Tiger.<br><br>ie. the metadata that spotlight uses is not being copied.<br><br>This is probably because MacOSX::File doesn't know anything about xattr?<br><br>Try it yourself. Add keywords to a photo and then backup the jpeg. mdls will show you the metadata isn't copied to the destination.<br><br><br>