Software piracy

Posted by: KateSorensen

Software piracy - 05/21/01 10:22 AM

Down from $284 to $240 in Middle East????? I had no idea it was THAT big a problem. Wonder what it is in the US? And how can they tell. Do they take a poll and ask people if they're using pirated software?<br><br>No wonder application/software mfgrs charge such high prices for stuff like PhotoShop and Quark. Or, do you think if they cracked down on pirating, mfgrs/could would lower their prices?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Software piracy down in the Middle East<br>May 21 - 08:15 ET: Reuters is reporting this morning that software piracy in the Middle East declined for the first time in 2000, thanks to the efforts of governments cracking down on illegal copies of software. The Business Software Alliance said in a report total losses for the industry from piracy in the Middle East narrowed to US$240 million in 2000 from $284 million in 1999.<br>http://www.macminute.com<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br><br>* * * * * * * * ** * * *<br>Kate<br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Software piracy - 05/21/01 10:01 PM

That price figure is way hyped up.<br>The agents whom sell all this stuff are adding up all the downloads and comparing that against actual sales.<br>Downloads do not constitute an act of piracy.<br>Putting those downloads on CD and selling them is.<br>The software pirated to CD in the Midle East and Asia, is most likely sold back into the US.<br> I think it is nothing short of ludicrous that the US law governing the export of such articles as the encoding... to the middle east "sanctioned" countries does not seem to stop them at all. It is patently obvious that Saddam Hussein already has the encryption software and all the other software too.<br><br>Maybe it is time that the manufacturers and sellers realised if they want piracy stopped that they had better start charging a realistic price. One that makes software piracy non profitable. <br>Maybe I am wrong maybe the figure is from the total of actual busted pirated CD's, but these are not sold... they are just burned/copied... I have never ever seen a pirated CD, never seen anyone with one...<br>..