Firefox goes boom

Posted by: Trog

Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 06:38 PM

Firefox crashed on me and now I can't seem to bring it back to life. I've replaced the application and tossed the Firefox folder inside ~/Library/Application Support and I still can't even get it to start. It just bounces once in the dock and then quits?<br><br>boohoo.<br><br><br><br>When did the National Guard turn into the foreign legion?

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 07:15 PM

If anybody is really clever, this is what the console says every time it crashes:<br><br>*** malloc_zone_malloc[633]: argument too large: 4294967284<br>*** malloc_zone_malloc[634]: argument too large: 4294967284<br>*** malloc_zone_malloc[636]: argument too large: 4294967284<br>*** malloc_zone_malloc[638]: argument too large: 4294967284<br>*** malloc_zone_malloc[640]: argument too large: 4294967284<br><br><br>uhhhhhh, wha??<br><br><br><br>When did the National Guard turn into the foreign legion?
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 07:47 PM

You'll want to find and delete the following file, then try again:<br><br>com.internet.sucks.onthemac.whoknows.plist<br><br>

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 07:53 PM

Heh heh heh, I'm looking for it...<br><br><br>I've got the sucker back up running, but only sorta. I looked in the console some more and there was something that said "plugin" (the rest was gibberish) and I found some dumb plugin that got put in there today from some teaching software (total trash).<br><br>Anyway, I dumped that and it now starts up but after about three pages it just bombs again... and this is with NO bookmarks, preferences, themes, extensions... nothing, just a brand new Firefox install. <br><br>Anyway, I can reimport the bookmarks and get it going just long enough to EXPORT the bookmarks so I can go back to Safari Ugghhh! <br><br><br><br>When did the National Guard turn into the foreign legion?

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 07:55 PM

Try creating a dummy user and seeing if it runs fine there. Could be corrupted prefs/bookmarks/etc. <br><br>

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 07:57 PM

But I threw the entire Firefox folder away!<br><br> *grumble*grumble*<br><br>I'll try it anyway, I was really enjoying that browser...<br><br><br><br>When did the National Guard turn into the foreign legion?

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 07:58 PM

I am running 1.0 on 10.3.7 with no problems. gotta be sumpin' up. <br><br>
Posted by: watcher

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/10/05 09:21 PM

Yep you are right it most likely is the preferences. Most likely something to do with the last plugin install.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/11/05 11:01 PM

I'd trash the whole cache folder (not just contents as it will rebuild folder). Corrupt cache can be a nasty thing.<br><br>Use of Mozilla, Netscape, or Camino in the past can cause problems my brother claims. Using them concurrently might be a bigger problem (i.e., still have the app or innards just installed).<br><br>I'd search pref file in ~/Library/Preferences looking for anything with the words Netscape, AOL, Mozilla, or ???zilla. There shouldn't be one. Using "find" takes 15 seconds.<br><br>Trashing InternetConfig sometimes works for virtually any telecomm problem if related. ~/Library/Preferences. The unhappy outcome of that will, however, be to reinter everything in Network.<br><br>The Dummy User (mine's called "Test") idea of Bryan's is good. It's not my favorite "user" but I wouldn't leave home without it. ;)<br><br>That "pluginreg.dat" that's at same directory level as "Profiles" can get messed up if you use GraphicConverter or Photoshop as your main graphics app versus Preview. I'd toss it anyway. Painless. Means a 15 second return to site. If bookmarks mean much I've move them elsewhere before trashing Profiles.<br><br>Foxfire for a while live in "Phoenix" on a Mac. I forget where that came from. I'd certainly trash it wherever you find it. (Bug in early beta?)<br><br>Using List View in /Library/Internet Plug-ins is worth a trip on its own account. I view in date changed order.<br><br>Perhaps the best trick my dad taught me was to do what you think is a complete install, make sure Console is clean, then check it later. Also you can search for changed files. I'd wait five minutes, launch it, then search with "Find" for whatever is appropriate. I'd include invisible files in any searches. <br><br>Corrupt files tend to do weird things.<br><br>I'd toss ~/Library/Cookies just for the fun of it if it's had a mod recently. I don''t have a clue what it does but it always reappears. wink LOL<br><br>I'd search for any install logs, change logs, or docs that don't live in App Support. Somethings wind up in the wrong place. Searching for FireFox and stopping is probably not the best idea, but this fits into other comments above.<br><br>Don't mean to insult your abilities with "Find" but I always use partial words and always look for visable and invisible (unless I can't find something useful.). In the case of FoxFire I'd guess "zilla" would work better than "xfir" but who knows.<br><br>End of my bag of tricks. Expert? Nope. I've been enjoying spectacular crashes with Camino, Mozilla and FoxFire since the days when I definitely knew better. ;)<br><br>Good luck!<br><br><br><br>"I was born not knowing and have only had a little time to change that here and there." Richard P. Feynman

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/26/05 12:24 PM

Perhaps you installed the same bum teaching software as I did (Pearson Prentice Hall's TestGen software). The problem seems to be two-fold: (1) with my own profile directory and (2) with the system's Internet plugins directory. To resolve it, I deleted my own profile and cleaned up the system Internet plugins directory.<br><br>Since I didn't determine exactly where in my profile things were going wrong, I saved only my bookmarks from my profile (the file "~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles/XXXXXXXX.default/bookmarks.html", where "XXXXXXXX" is a string of random characters particular to your install). This meant I had to reinstall plugins, recheck old options, setup my start page anew, and so forth. A more careful examination of the problem might find just those files that are affected in the profile.<br><br>Steps:<br><br>0. Backup your bookmarks file (if you so desire).<br><br>1. Delete your profile. From a terminal, do "rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/"<br><br>2. Delete Firefox. Drag the Firefox icon, wherever it may live, to the trash. It's probably in your Applications folder.<br><br>3. Clean up the system plugins directory. Look in "/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins". The crap teaching software I installed created files with "TGEQ" in them. To remove all of these, I did "sudo rm -f /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/*TGEQ*" from a terminal. If you have different software, your files may be different, so look around in here for what doesn't belong. My Internet plugins directory looks like this when I do "ls -1F /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/":<br><br>DRM Plugin.bundle/<br>Flash Player.plugin/<br>Java Applet Plugin Enabler*<br>Java Applet.plugin/<br>JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/<br>NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave<br>QuickTime Plugin.plugin/<br>RealPlayer Plugin<br>RealPlayer Plugin.xpt<br>Windows Media Plugin/<br>flashplayer.xpt<br>nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt<br><br>The DRM plugin comes from Apple, Flash and Java are OK, Quicktime is fine, RealPlayer is fine, and Windows Media is fine. I don't know what nsIQTScriptablePlugin is, but it seems to be OK.<br><br>4. Reinstall Firefox and see if it works. If so, things are good and you can import your bookmarks, reinstall all your favorite extensions, and generally go on with your life.<br><br>Basically, hats off to Pearson Prentice Hall's Instructor Resource Center CD, and most especially the exquisitely well-written TestGen software (which, by the way, insists on closing all other applications before it will install because clearly only one application should run at a time since this is obviously the best thing for computing).<br><br>

Re: Firefox goes boom - 01/29/05 08:19 AM

Holy crap, Stuffman, that is exactly the same software I had just installed! That's funny (not "ha ha") it did the same to you.<br><br>Thanks for the detailed steps. I have already taken care of it by now, but its good to know.<br><br><br>

Re: Firefox goes boom - 02/06/05 09:06 AM

>Perhaps you installed the same bum teaching software as I did (Pearson Prentice Hall's TestGen software). The problem seems to be two-fold: (1) with my own profile d<br><br>Unfortunately, I also have to use Testgen. I am going to have to use Opera instead, because I cannot get Firefox to work, even after all the fixes I have read here and at MozillaZine. :(<br><br>OS-X 10.3.7, Powerbook G4

Re: Firefox goes boom - 02/14/05 06:17 PM

Maybe you could try a more hardcore cleaning, deleting everything listed in my previous post in addition to everything in /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/. This will of course require you to reinstall Flash and all the other standard plugins, but maybe it's worth it to get that stuff off your system.<br><br>Also, perhaps you can try searching for TGEQ on your hard drive. Maybe files were put elsewhere because of your use of the programs. You should find all these files and get rid of them.<br><br>Basically, remove anything that could possibly save state w/r/t Firefox. This includes ~/Library/Firefox/, the system Internet plugins directory, the Firefox application itself, and maybe other places. (This last, unspecified set of locations of course probably being your particular problem).<br><br>Sorry, can't provide much more beyond this. Solving the problem requires creativity, in that you have to figure out every place Testgen wrote on your system and clean it out.<br><br>

Re: Firefox goes boom - 02/17/05 11:29 AM

Thanks to this thread which identified the problem of TestGen and its interaction with Firefox, and a *very* quick reply from Tamarack Software, which developed TestGen, there is a solution!<br><br>As requested, I've pasted it below:<br><br>[[[begin paste]]]<br><br>Hello Steve,<br><br>I apologize for the problem you are encountering with TestGen. The issue you described is a bug in the TestGen plugin v5.5. We have fixed the problem in the TestGen Plugin v6.0 release which I recommend you download from the Pearson website.<br><br>TestGen 5.5 accidentally corrupts the "pluginreg.dat" file that is used by Mozilla and FireFox to register plugins. To fix the problem you will need to delete this file. The browser will rebuild a fresh, uncorrupted file when it launches. Specifically:<br><br>(1) Quit all browsers.<br>(2) Go to the root of your system drive and navigate to "/Library/Mozilla/pluginreg.dat"<br>(3) Delete "pluginreg.dat".<br>(4) Launch FireFox.<br><br>Provided you use the TestGen Plugin v6.0 or later the "pluginreg.dat" file will no longer get corrupted.<br><br>I would appreciate it if you would post this information to the discussion group to help others in a similar situation. Thank you.<br><br>[[[end paste]]]<br><br>One correction -- the file to be deleted is <br>~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/pluginreg.dat<br><br>In order to get TestGen 6, you need an account at www.pearsoned.com<br><br>If you have one, go to this page:<br><br>http://wpslive.pearsoncmg.com/cmg_instructor_testgen_1/1,7835,737317,.html<br><br>Otherwise, you need to contact PearsonEd support or your sales rep.<br><br><br>I've tried it, and it works (I'm using Firefox right now, with TestGen open and running). Hope this helps everyone in the same boat!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Firefox goes boom - 03/23/05 11:39 AM

I also loaded the TestGen software and it also corrupted the "pluginreg.dat" which killed my Netscape which is by Mozilla. In the process of trying to find the problem I managed to mess up my Netscape Profile, which I have not been able to fully recover from. I found that you cannot just drag your Profile out of Library/Mozilla and then drag it back in. Some path information appears to have been lost in the process. <br><br>After reading this post I deleated everything having to do with TestGen and reloaded Netscape. The problem remained. Deleting the "pluginreg.dat" file did not help, since each new one created was corrupted. Only when I loaded the new TestGen 6.0 was the problem fixed. So, TestGen 5.5 corrupts what ever is creating the "pluginreg.dat" file, not just the file. I have now been advised that there may be an un-install that should be used to get rid of TestGen5.5, rather than just deleting it.<br><br>