laptop or desktop?

Posted by: OSXaddict

laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 06:27 PM

I have been having some serious debates on what, if anything, I should get.<br><br>I currently have a G4/500 powermac that is loaded. But I have been thinking that I don't really do much on it that puts much demand on it. And when I go out to take pics and go visit someone, I really wish I had a laptop. <br><br>So..I have been thinking of the new iBook...800mhz one, either 12 or 14 inch screen. With the 32MB card in it, it should run OSX pretty damn good..and this site http://www.powermax.com has trade-in's. As a whim, I asked them and they offered $1039 for mine (G4/500, 1GB ram, superdrive, ATI Radeon 8500 card, 120GB 7200rpm HD, internal zip) and am very tempted.<br><br>Questions I have...would I be totally stupid to "downgrade" to a G3? And, would I be dumb to switch from a desktop to a laptop for main computer? <br><br>As I don't do hardly any actual "work" on this..the iBook is very tempting cause I would love to take it with me wherever I went. <br><br>I know it would be hard for you all to say what I need..but in your opinion, what do you think?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 06:36 PM

I don't know--the desktop is more desirable on the whole, but it is sweet to have a laptop. I guess I wouldn't trade.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 06:44 PM

While I like my desktop...I guess I like the possibility of taking it with me instead of waiting when I got home. Plus I could take it to work ..or on trips..or wherever....<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 06:47 PM

I know--we've got a Wallstreet and an iBook, so I admit the attraction. But what I use at home is my G4 tower. Have you thought of getting a refurbished iBook, something not that expensive?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 07:09 PM

Well, not sure if I need 2 macs! I'm by myself..so 1 is good enough..<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 07:12 PM

One is never good enough. I mean, you do talk to yourself, don't you? Well, that other fella needs a Mac too. Or are you just selfish? <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 07:19 PM

selfish and poor! LOL<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 07:38 PM

I hear you!<br><br>If it weren't for my job getting me the PB and my luck winning me the G4 tower, I'd still be on my Rev A iMac.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: johnengler

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 09:02 PM

I'll tell you this. I have a 700MHz iBook and I love it. the G3 vs G4 thing really isn't that noticeable (and I have a G4 867 at work). I really think Jaguar on a iBook with a decent video card is what makes it all worth while... that being said, I don't do a whole lot more than basic computing... not a whole lot of photoshop, nothing requiring true power... lots of text only stuff with BBedit.<br><br>I love my iBook, but would say that if you're getting $1000 for your desktop, trade up to a PowerBook. a 1GHz G4 + Superdrive model would be all you'd ever need... 64MB VRAM and all that jazzz.....<br><br>enjoy ...<br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 10:24 PM

the laptop life is great. The iMac is my first personal desktop I've bought (I've always had a desktop at work). The iBook is really nice and at 800Mhz is should be very zippy. I would go for the iBook and if you have a bit of extra cash get a wireless network. Right now I'm on my linux laptop and MrsJC is on the iBook and we are just surfing and chatting and watching the TV in our family room. Wireless rocks and I'm sure you'll love the iBook. Just one thing to consider is the smaller screen which is only 1024 x768 which works best when running one app full window size.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 10:52 PM

So, I've never owned a desktop... I used a Wallstreet for a few years then upgraded to a TiPB last year. For the most part the Powerbook serves every need; heck, look at the specs, what is it missing? I have a firewire hardrive and CDRW with cable connection at home. In the morning I take the book to work and hook it up to the ethernet there, with OSX the change in network setting is always automatic.<br><br>Recently I've been considering a desktop, but never in place of my powerbook, I would have to have both. It really is fantastic to take it to meetings, family trips or whatever. Since it is my main computer all my files are always there; I can work or play at any time. I also hook it up to the T.V. fairly frequently to watch homemade quicktime movies.<br><br>The only things I miss about a desktop are the ability to upgrade certain things. I would enjoy being able to use the latest graphics cards, for example. Well, and DVD burning, but that is no longer an issue, I guess. However, if I had to choose between a desktop and laptop the PB would win hands down.<br><br>A woman I work with has a 500MHz iBook. For the price, those things are great, but there is a pretty big difference between the powerbooks and iBooks. Even my 300MHz G3 Wallstreet runs Jag noticeably quicker than her 500MHz iBook, but I don't know why, they should be pretty comparable. Actually what I'm trying to say is that the price drop on the iBook is great, but the price for what you get on those new powerbooks is amazing. They are superior in almost every single category (except price ), yet I paid $1,000 more one year ago for less than half of what get you now!<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/07/02 11:21 PM

Has anyone ever thought about getting a used PBG4 400Mhz? you can get them now for $1250-$1400 the same as an 800Mhz ibook but with a 15" screen with higher Resolution, not to mention the good looks! I was thinking about either a 800Mhz 12" ibook or used G4 PB and i still can make up my mind.....<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 02:59 AM

Yeah, a powerbook would be nice...but again, I'm in a profession that isn't exactly a money-maker. So that extra $1K would make it extremely hard to get.<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 03:01 AM

1024X768 is what I have always ran mine at...can never get higher settings so I have been used to it.<br><br>But am I crazy for wanting to switch from a desktop to a laptop? Would I regret it later? I don't know if this desire in me to get an iBook is cause of just wanting change or what...but I do want one.<br><br>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 04:59 AM

I always take my iBook with me. At home I use my desktop G4, but still use the iBook in the couch. It was a very good purchase.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 05:44 AM

You may regret a switch to a laptop in the long run, or you may not. I think the post above regarding keeping the tower is a wise one. You can get a loan and make payments on a new mac to help with the cost. You never *think* about everything, but once that tower is gone, it's gone and you will kick yourself later.<br><br>As far as which to buy, knowing what you do for a living, and your use of the Mac, I would highly recommend that you get a 14" iBook with the 800mhz processor & Combo drive. This config will give you the most power you can get incase you decide to get rid of the tower. Load the iBook with the Max amount of RAM and buy yourself a few packs of CD's for making backups and storing files.<br><br>While I highly recommend trying to have both Macs, I think you will be extremely happy with the 14" iBook.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: RubenC

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 09:36 AM

I echo MacGizmo's advice and highly recommend keeping the tower and just getting the iBook (Hey- you only live once). Just make sure it's loaded in case you need a back up, or for some unforeseen emergency where you need to be portable.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 11:44 AM

I flipped back and forth a few times over the years. When I had a desktop, I wanted a portable. When I had a portable, I wanted a desktop (mostly for the screen resolution size), and so on...<br><br>Then I kept my desktop and got an iBook (466SE model - only 800x600). When I'm programming, I want a big screen (1280x1024). But I also like to sit on my sofa and surf while watching TV - so I like having both.<br><br>So my advice, if you don't want a bigger screen than 1024x768, then sell the G4 and get the best laptop you can. If you feel you like working at a desk and on a big screen, keep it and get the entry level iBook (don't forget to add RAM) as a companion to the G4.<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 02:49 PM

I would keep the desktop..maybe..if I had the cash. But I don't and I don't really need this....<br><br>I played with a new 12 and 14inch iBooks today..the 14inch is definately the way to go. They weren't plugged in yet, as they just got them. I really liked the iBook!!<br><br>Since I couldn't see how they ran, they did have a CRT iMac and a flat screen iMac side by side..so I did my own comparison of a G4800 vs a G3600 and really didn't notice that much difference in speed in launching items such as iTunes and iPhoto. <br><br>I think I'm sold on the new iBook..question is..how should I sell my G4? Perhaps a new thread is needed..<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 03:17 PM

OK OSXaddict, this is dictated by my son, who has the iBook:<br><br>"It really depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to travel a lot, then I'd recommend a laptop, but if you just want more capabilities and upgradability, more HD space and better memory, I'd recommend a desktop."<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 03:41 PM

Well, as far as HD space goes, I'm keeping one of my 120GB HD's and sticking it in a Firewire case...and I know it's not as expandable..but heck, it has just about everyting I want...<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 04:13 PM

<br>Two thoughts...<br>1- Go through Powermax as a trade-in, I did a while back and everything went pretty smooth.<br>2- Try eBay I sell and buy through them and the set-up is pretty easy.<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 05:09 PM

How long did they take to "test" it and did they stick to the original offer or did they adjust it? (Powermax)<br><br>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/08/02 05:36 PM

It took about a week to test for me although they say it will take a round ten days. And yes they stood with the original quote and the credit was posted on my credit card soon after.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/09/02 12:38 AM

If you can afford go for a laptop. In the office or at home in my opinion a smaller LCD is still better than a CRT. More precise geometry, pixels and colors results in less stress on your eyes. You'll love it when you go on holiday or field work. I've been using it nowdays with a digicam for an outdoor shooting job and it's great to see the picts i've just shoot on a bigger than a camera screen.<br><br>http://raszl.net
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/13/02 01:29 AM

Keep the G4 and get the iBook. Then get the Mini Cooper. Rob a bank if short on cash.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/13/02 07:17 AM

Well.... that's pretty sound advice! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/13/02 08:04 AM

Hey it's getting pretty close to the holidays maybe the nice folk at MacMinute might set up an iBook Giveaway Contest!!!<br><br>[color:blue]All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then Success is sure - Mark Twain</font color=blue>

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/13/02 12:59 PM

What will happen is they will do one right after I buy an iBook! <br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/13/02 02:51 PM

IF you win, you can always sell it <br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: laptop or desktop? - 11/13/02 03:25 PM

....and then buy back the G4 for $100-200 more than you sold it for! <br><br>