Andy Gore Resigns From MacWorld

Posted by: Anonymous

Andy Gore Resigns From MacWorld - 06/25/01 08:07 PM

From the MacMinute front page: [color:green]Macworld Editor-in-Chief leaves publication:</font color=green><br>[color:green]Andy Gore, Editor-in-Chief of Macworld magazine, has left the publication, according to an email sent internally to employees of the magazine. Gore apparently resigned his position having accomplished what he had set out to do, although no official word has been released yet.</font color=green><br><br>Did he really set out to make MacWorld a thinner, more boring magazine with a declining readership?<br><br>John<br><br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Andy Gore Resigns From MacWorld - 06/25/01 08:51 PM

yeah..I have a subscription to MacWorld and find it disappointing. Actually all the mac mags are..though the European versions of MacWorld is nice! <br><br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Andy Gore Resigns From MacWorld - 06/25/01 09:36 PM

You know, if we could get an English version of MacFan (Japanese) it would kill every American Mac Magazine out there... Guaranteed... it's thick, and full of info... just wish I knew japanese....<br><br>the pictures are nice too (and no, i'm not refering to the 12 year old girls they put on the cover... that's just a cultural thing for the japanese male that owns a Mac)<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Old Magazines - 06/26/01 06:49 AM

Once upon a time we had a Mac World and a Mac User. both were thicker and filled with more information than either MacWorld or MacAddict today. Before I bought my first colour printer in 1994, I cut out no less than three different articles from -User and -World, all of which were ten pages or more long and all of which were filled with charts, opinions, tests and reproductions of actual output. It gave me something to go by when I bought the printer. It was more important to be fully informed then of course, since colour printers were costly then, but still, if I were looking for a digital camera today, I wouldn't check any Mac magazines, I'd be looking through the photography mags. Product testing is one of those things that computer magazines could be doing well, but are doing worse than ever before. (News is one thing they can't do well due to the long lead time in printing the things)<br><br>John<br><br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: Old Magazines - 06/26/01 08:09 AM

I think you can blame part of the demise of the US Mac publications on the Web. Now that everyone's wired, most Macworld subscribers (or their intended audience, apparently) get their news on the Web, so there goes that aspect of the magazine. Magazines have been reduced to little more than product reviews (typically bland ones or uninformative, at that) or opinion pieces, which usually aren't very thought provoking or engaging. These days, in any given issue of Macworld, I'll find maybe five pages of content that has any substanial value.<br><br>It's really a shame... as John points out, MacFan is a great publication... each month there are how-to guides for everything you can imagine, and constant product roundups comparing drives, CD-RW, etc. A real good resource, not just toilet literature.<br><br>
Posted by: Tim

Re: Old Magazines - 06/26/01 01:10 PM

You all may want to give MacDesign a shot. (I did a "review" of it at http://www.mymac.com/robertson/5.22.01.shtml.) It is very good, FAR better than MacHome, MacWorld, or MacAddict. Check out their home page at http://www.macdesignonline.com/<br><br>Tim<br><br>Tim Robertson, publisher <br>My Mac Magazine<br><br>http://www.mymac.com<br>publisher@mymac.com<br>

So It Used To Be MacToday? - 06/26/01 02:22 PM

Alright! I'll look for it. And while I'm at it, I'll explore your site. Thanks.<br><br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>
Posted by: Alex

Re: Old Magazines - 06/26/01 05:31 PM

The tricky part is when it comes to the good ol' capitalist bottom line of PROFITABILITY though. The Web doesn't make anywhere near as much off advertising as print media, but on the other hand offers more timely, usually more informative, and much more searchable content. So if information is really the digital "currency", the web is rich and print is getting poorer and poorer. But how can we make the web work in $$$ terms, which seems to be all that businesses are pushed to care about?<br><br>BTW, MacMinute is BY FAR the first and best Mac news site I visit, and I click-thru the banner ads at least 4 out of 5 visits... I guess every little bit helps! Thanks for the great site Stan, Misha et al...!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Old Magazines - 06/26/01 08:44 PM

I too agree that this is the best site bar none. I check it several times a day and click on the banner numerous times a day too (at least once everytime I come here).<br><br>

Re: Old Magazines - 06/26/01 10:01 PM

Alex,<br><br>part of what plagues the web (in terms of $$$) is that there are two or three business models out there for the "content providers" or true "media" source types of websites:<br><br>1. purely advertising supported<br><br>2. purely subscription supported<br><br>3. combination of 1. and 2.<br><br>Each type faces it's own issues, and struggles daily. Of the purely advertising supported sites, only a few actually make enough money to grow their bottom line, and they are just really really good at it, or have great cross media outlets that help them achieve a synergy for their advertisers (NBC's properties are in this group right now)<br><br>Of the purely subscription based sites, the only ones that are making it are very small niche sites like trade association sites, or truly educational corporations.<br><br>Of the combination sites, you'll find a few that are truly successful -- the Dow Jones properties are a good example (WSJ.com, etc...)<br><br><br>For advertisers, one of the greatest promises of the web (true ROI measurement and effect of advertising measurement) is also one of the biggest problems of the web. <br><br>You have to understand that large companies, like Intel for example, are very used to high CPM rates for print or tv media purchases, the print and TV advertising markets are established, and entrenched. So when Intel approached MacWorld and says "hey, I want to advertise" and MacWorld quotes the standard rate of about $100 a CPM (it fluctuates) as a "insertion cost of $80,000 for one full color full page ad, Intel doesn't balk (too much) because it's a standard practice, and it's really really really damn hard to measure, other than by audit (MacWorld has an audit done every 6 months by ABC or BPAI) of their circulation.<br><br>So, when Intel asks "can we advertise on your website too?" and MacWorld says, "sure, the CPM is $80" Intel still hasn't balked... hell, they probably think they're getting a good deal on the rate decrease.... <br><br>But, when Intel sees the results of the $80 buy at like .28% click thru (standard web-wide CTR), they start to get mad... but what they don't realize is that their print ad is probably getting about the same "impulse" response. <br><br>So, web rates start coming down... to what the market will bear.... and there are a lot of Mac Web sites out there... so the market is tiny, and the real advertising buyers are few.....<br><br>What media buyers are also slow to realize or admit is that the web is great for branding, which is what they use Print for and TV for, and outdoor advertising for, and they pay high rates for there... <br><br>it's a weird, weird market... and i'm still trying to understand it. <br><br>it sort of depends on how good your property is, from a publisher standpoint, and how good your sales person is.....<br><br>and it all comes down to the goal of the advertiser. if their goal is to get a large response rate, then I'd tell them to use Direct Mail, Direct Email, or a really really killer rich media campaign....<br><br>If their goal is to increase their long term bottom line, or even mid-term for that matter, then they should start branding the hell out of their products, to their target audience.<br><br>Just my thoughts... sorry if I seem like a wind bag at times <br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Old Magazines - 06/27/01 05:40 AM

Nice, John. Enjoyed reading that.<br><br>Tim<br><br>Tim Robertson, publisher <br>My Mac Magazine<br><br>http://www.mymac.com<br>publisher@mymac.com<br>

Marketing Talk - 06/27/01 06:37 AM

You just have to be in marketing.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: Marketing Talk - 06/27/01 09:58 AM

Nope. IT manager for a large Mac creative facility. Unless you mean John?<br><br>Tim Robertson, publisher <br>My Mac Magazine<br><br>http://www.mymac.com<br>publisher@mymac.com<br>

I Meant John Engler - 06/27/01 10:18 AM

Sorry. Shoulda been more specific.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: I Meant John Engler - 06/27/01 06:11 PM

you could say that John....<br><br>see my profile.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: I Meant John Engler - 06/27/01 06:33 PM

Thought so. As a packaging designer, I spend a lot of time with marketing folk. For the most part, when they get wound up in marketing speak I start getting lost, although some of it sticks. (But I mess 'em up with designer speak.)<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>
Posted by: siletz

Re: I Meant John Engler - 06/27/01 07:27 PM

Aha Mr. Lasruk, so you are the Mad Hatter designing those trick packaging materials that require a Rubics cube master to open. :)<br><br>Bondi "B" Maxed out

Re: I Meant John Engler - 06/27/01 08:32 PM

siletz... that's funny.... and John, we all know that marketing folks should be in charge of everything in every corporation, I mean... it's our job to sell the product right?<br><br>hehe... just kidding. I'm just a normal guy who likes to learn things... I'm a php/MySQL developer in my other life.... try balancing that an sales... argh....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: I Meant John Engler - 06/28/01 06:41 AM

[color:green]Aha Mr. Lasruk, so you are the Mad Hatter designing those trick packaging materials that require a Rubics cube master to open.</font color=green><br><br>Just to get a little serious, the idea is to design packages which aren't necessarily hard to open, but which won't open in transit or sitting on a peg. Especially (with kid's products) one tries to avoid designing something which will invite pilferage. It's a balancing act.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: I Meant John Engler - 06/28/01 06:10 PM

John, you lost me in the designer speak....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: I Meant John Engler - 06/28/01 08:04 PM

It worked! Nyah, Hah, Hah!<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>