"opener" malware

Posted by: OSXaddict

"opener" malware - 10/22/04 06:39 PM

Has anyone heard of this? A windows friend of mine emailed me the link...thought it was funny.<br><br>http://www.macintouch.com/opener.html<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: "opener" malware - 10/23/04 08:30 AM

BFD - first you have to install an app to do anything, so any app you install could put a trojan on your system. In order to do anything the "user" must authenticate with admin privs.<br><br>this is just a bash script kiddie type of thing. i could also get you to authenticate and then issues an rm -r / and you'd be hosed. same principal and not a security threat<br><br>I would rather die free than live in fear, and without liberty.

Re: "opener" malware - 10/23/04 10:26 AM

Thanks! I shall go email him back with this info. <br><br>

Re: "opener" malware - 10/25/04 08:07 AM

It's on the front page of MM now....<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: "opener" malware - 10/25/04 08:11 AM

If he was sending it to you to gloat, be sure to tell him what a complete moron he is. <br><br><br><br>

Re: "opener" malware - 10/25/04 08:15 AM

Did you notice this on the front page?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Paul Ducklin, Sophos' head of technology in the Asia-Pacific region, said that the virus, which Sophos calls Renepo, is designed to infect any Mac OS X drives connected to an infected system and that it leaves affected computers vulnerable to further hacker attack. Ducklin said Opener <p><hr></blockquote><p>Which is it? Opener or Renepo (which is opener backwards )?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: "opener" malware - 10/25/04 04:05 PM

I thought it was enponer<br><br>