Safari and "localized string not found" fix

Posted by: G4Dualie

Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 09/12/04 12:00 AM

I don't know if any of you are still having issues with the "localized string" with your contextual menus but I've found a fix that is solid. If anyone is interested, though it takes a Restart, the whole process takes a few minutes to accomplish.<br><br>1. Download the latest version of Safari from Apple. Found here. This step cannot be ignored.<br><br>2. Locate the webkit files and trash them. This folder is located in System/Library/Frameworks/webkit.framworks.<br><br>3. Install Safari from your download.<br><br>4. Restart the computer.<br><br>5. Launch Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions.<br><br>6. That's it. You won't see the words "localized string not found" appear in your Contextual Menus anymore.<br><br><br>[color:red]I am not John Kerry and I made this ad.</font color=red>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 09/12/04 12:27 AM

Thank you so much. That drives me crazy. I am going to try it tomorrow.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 09/12/04 03:08 PM

That is super! Thanks so much. It is a few steps but not hard. Well worth it. Now after Rick goes to work I will fix his.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 09/13/04 06:53 AM

Does this happen from using one of those utilities that rips out other language files?<br><br>Localized strings are basically translations of text in an application in a specific language.<br><br>

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 09/13/04 09:44 PM

If you're referring to one of those utilities that's used to trim the fat in your OS by removing unwanted languages then yes, you're probably right. It makes sense to me anyway. <br><br>However, I never installed the languages to begin with and I believe my "localized" errors began to show up right after I upgraded to Panther and the new Safari (1.1?)<br><br>Anyway, the "localized" annoyance is now gone. <br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 11/10/04 12:57 AM

Yikes! I tried this method of removing the dreaded "localized string not found" using the steps in your post. Now, Safari won't even open. Went through the whole proceedure again & still no luck.<br><br>The WebKit file now shows up as an alias. It has no original (removed earlier) and can't be deleted. Is this method supposed to create a new WebKit file? <br><br>I'm running 10.3.6 and downloaded the lastest Safari as per your post.<br><br>I'm stuck. any ideas?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Ideo<br><br>
Posted by: globewriter

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 11/27/04 10:14 AM

Thanks for the advice. I managed to prevent my mac from starting...I sytupidly used Deinstaller and uninstalled Safari..apparently it is completely integrated into Panther. First my Finder went funny..then stopped..and rebooting resullted in just the gray firmware screen...spinning away. <br><br>Anyhow..I reinstalled Safari ( smart of me to have an external boootable drive) but now I notice that it is v 1.2 Not 1.2.4 like I had before. Did anyone else notice this too? This is the second time I have reinstalled Safari ( the normal way the first time) and got 1.2..apparently the only way to get 1.2.4 is to reinstall panther and do all the upgrades. Software update doesn't seem to bother updating from 1.2 when Safari is installed from Apple's web site. On the other hand...no "localized string message" and I don't see any difference whatsoever..so I suppose "who cares"?<br><br><br>

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 01/25/05 05:18 PM

It works. sure enough. <br><br>its worth mentioning though, that link does NOT have the latest safari version. It actually installs and older version. <br><br>I had version 1.2.4<br><br>now I have 1.2 (v125). <br><br>software update wont let me get my 1.2.4 back either. :(<br><br>

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 04/11/05 09:11 AM

Thanks, it did wonders ! Finally rid of this horrible "localized string not found" bug ! I actually trashed the files located in the "version" folder of the webkit.framworks folder - did not hence have the issue of the alias.<br><br>what a relief... this thing was driving me mad !<br><br>

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 12/22/05 12:05 AM

Merry Christmas! <br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)<br><br>[color:red]"Freedom's untidy. And free people are free to commit mistakes, and to commit crimes and do bad things." Donald Rumsfeld</font color=red>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 12/22/05 07:23 AM

Are we bored? <br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 12/22/05 02:24 PM

Upgrading to Tiger fixes it too. <br><br>

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 12/23/05 11:35 AM

what? Boredom?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)<br><br>[color:red]"Freedom's untidy. And free people are free to commit mistakes, and to commit crimes and do bad things." Donald Rumsfeld</font color=red>
Posted by: chaz

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 03/14/06 11:25 AM

Hi,<br>I have OS10 Panther 10.3.9 and had the "localized string not found" message with a webkit error. I am inexperienced with some computer applications-so please be patient with me. I tried what you recommended and now Safari does not work anymore. I deleted the webkit file, reinstalled safari & ran the disk utilities permissions. I can get online only with explorer now. I did not delete the webkit folder from the trash-but it will not reinstall.<br>Any advice?<br><br>

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 03/15/06 11:58 PM

The only advice I can offer is that you do one of two things: Empty the trash and restart the computer and try launching Safari again. If the Trash refuses to empty then this could be the one of the causes of your problem. <br><br>If Safari still fails to launch then I would suggest you reinstall Safari from your Panther disk.<br><br>I really don't know whether your Install Disks will allow a customized install of just Safari by itself or not but, you can download Pacifist from here which allows for custom installs. <br><br>Pacifist is also capable of comparing the files on your hard disk with the files listed in the package, and notifying you of missing files. It may pin-point the problem for you.<br><br>Needless to say but, anytime you trash folders and files from the Library, you run the risk of mucking things up. I know it's a hassle but if you have time, you might consider an Archive & Install. The whole process would take just over an hour to accomplish but you would end up with a clean System and fresh copies of your Applications.<br><br>Remember, if you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, etc., select "Archive and Install," then select "Preserve Users and Network Settings."<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)<br><br>[color:red]"Freedom's untidy. And free people are free to commit mistakes, and to commit crimes and do bad things." Donald Rumsfeld</font color=red>
Posted by: chaz

Re: Safari and "localized string not found" fix - 03/16/06 05:41 AM

Thanks for the response,<br>I was afraid I may have to do a reinstall. I think it may be best. I learned a good lesson about trashing system folders.<br><br>