mac.com web page

Posted by: KateSorensen

mac.com web page - 06/15/01 02:46 PM

I have a "Personal" and "Photo" page and they show up at the place where I can choose to make one or the other default as my main site page. But I made other html pages and placed them into my "Sites" folder. They do not show up as options to use on my mac.com page. How do I do this?<br><br>Can I make my own site from scratch? Can I put a page on my mac.com site that just has a white background and Ethel Sorensen on it?<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/ethelsorensen/<br><br>I don't want that background or anything for that matter. What do I do?<br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: mac.com web page - 06/15/01 09:59 PM

Just uploading html documents to your homepage site is not enought. You need to include links to those other documents in the main page. Any web page maker is suitable. If you're in doubts, try a really easy one, PageSpinner. It's shareware, but you get a bit of time to try it out, just enough to get used to doing html tags. Then you can go on to BBEdit, the lite version of which is free <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: mac.com web page - 06/16/01 08:19 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/ethelsorensen/<br><br>Well, I understand about links, etc., and making a web page (PageMill), but getting the page to show up after I made it and put it in my sites folder was the problem.<br><br>I finally did it. My award winning design will knock your socks off!<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: mac.com web page - 06/18/01 12:05 PM

Woof, woof<br><br>

Re: mac.com web page - 06/18/01 09:00 PM

Hi again, Kate--for some reason, I'm not getting either images nor links on your page. I did back when you put up the first post, but no more.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: mac.com web page - 06/19/01 04:21 PM

Getting discouraged now. I keep putting the page there this way:<br>I edit the page and then save as to my open iDisks folder "sites". It seems to show up when I click the link<br><br>Wait, the page I made is my url plus Personal.html. In the sites folder it is the one called Personal. There is one called index with the funkie "western" template that comes up with just<br>http://homepage.mac.com/ethelsorensen/<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/ethelsorensen/Personal.html<br><br>Now, I'll see if I can figure out how to make my version of my page come up with the first url.<br><br>I have space for a web site on verizon.com but haven't looked into that yet. I am more familiar with ftp-ing, etc, so that might be better for me.<br><br><br><br>

Re: mac.com web page - 06/19/01 07:42 PM

Hi again, Kate--<br><br>Here's what I did: with Page Spinner (which I think is a neat, easy app for html, but you could do it in any html app), I made the index.html page, which then went in the Sites folder. That's the "home" page, and it's there that I have all the links to the other pages in my Sites folder. I never used the templates that Apple offers, so I don't know how to go about using them, though I assume that they're basically the same--I mean, they give you a template that becomes the index.html document that you put in your Sites folder, with the pages that you make and want linked to that document also in the Sites folder. Good luck!<br><br>[edit]; By the way, it just occured to me that you might want to see my site. Here's the URL" http://homepage.mac.com/alc/<br><br>Second memory lapse: I have a duplicate of the index.html page in the Sites folder, which is called home.html. I think I did that becauase iDisk doesn't treat index.html as the home page. You might try renaming your page to home.html and see what happens.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 06/19/01 11:07 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: mac.com web page - 06/20/01 03:34 AM

Kate,<br><br>Just rename your Personal.html file to index.html and it will load with the first url. <br><br>Yoyo,<br><br>iDisk does recognise the index.html file in the sites folder. It works for me.<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/wiredvijay/<br><br><br><br>Vijay<br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: mac.com web page - 06/20/01 07:43 AM

I tried the index.html home page when iDisk first came out, and it wouldn't recognize it. When I changed the name to home.html, it did recognize it. My solution was to keep both documents in the Sites folder at the same time--just in case things changed <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: mac.com web page - 06/20/01 01:06 PM

Ah, didn't know that. I got my first Mac in October 2000. Only from then have I been using iTools. I like iTools, but wish that apple would setup a FTP server instead of the AppleShare iDisk mechanism, which is very slow for people like me on dial-ups.<br><br>But it works.<br><br>Vijay<br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: mac.com web page - 06/20/01 06:03 PM

I hear ya--it's slow with my DSL connection too.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: mac.com web page - 06/21/01 12:29 PM

Nice photo's Kate.<br>What WebSite creation software are u using?<br><br> Nick.<br><br>

Re: mac.com web page - 06/21/01 01:20 PM

From the page source, it looks like Adobe PageMill 2.0 Mac.<br><br>Vijay<br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

page source - 06/21/01 11:18 PM

yep PageMill 2.0 right there.<br><br>I have an old version of BBedit and am thinking of upgrading it. I used it years ago, so might have to buy the $99 version but that is okay. I liked it a lot. PageMill 3.0 is as far as they're going with that one. I don't think I need Dreamweaver.<br><br>I think I am really into how to keep the page at mac.com the way I want it now. Just need to pretty it up a little. Just having too much fun out of doors to stay in very long.<br><br>I have an Olympus 320L. Several years old now but I still like it and the family has fun with it too.<br><br><br><br>

Re: page source - 06/22/01 03:56 AM

You won't go wrong with BBEdit. Thats what I use too. <br><br><br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.