Opera web browser... sort of sucks

Posted by: johnengler

Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/14/01 10:14 PM

so, for some reason whenever I try to open IE it crashes my Mac, I'll figure that out soon enough, but here I am trying to use an alternate (Opera 5.x beta) and the damn thing has really really bad cache issues... every time I open a URl that I've visited before it loads the old cached page, without checking to see if it's changed... really bad for forums use.....<br><br>And geez, if this is a setting that can be changed, why is the default ro use cached pages?<br><br>I'll see if it's a setting I can change sometime, but come on... who needs to cache pages in today's faster internet broadband world... I know that my cable internet provider caches pages for me on a "proxy" but the proxy always has the updated pages...<br><br>geez... come on you europeans... make it better, and fast <br><br>I'm getting tired of IE.....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/15/01 06:55 AM

It *is* a drag for things like forums, but it's great for a lot of other sites... it means that hiting the back button doesn't require a few seconds to load the previous page.<br><br>I would assume this is an option (or just set your cache to zero), but I haven't really used Opera since TP1.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/15/01 08:27 AM

I have used Opera a couple of times when I'm on OS9. I like it when it does work and doesn't crash my system! Haven't tried it on the boards. Too bad it doesn't work in classic..would try it now.<br><br>
Posted by: Entish

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/15/01 09:00 AM

Guys ... if you went over to ResEx and scanned back to the Opera discussions in the threads, try searching Opera at ResEx,.. not much on it there but what is there is good... •fiddle with the font settings and header settings... it is very accomodating towards having itself set to suit your needs <br>•and hey it refuses to work in here without cookies ALL enabled<br>•turn off save window settings, try switching the browser recognition types.. USE a RAM cache... do a bit of hacking use your intuition... I did that in pt1... every install since has used the same prefs!!!automatically. <br>I have it set on the ResExcellence forum beautifully ... it is a bit wide on the ResEx main page but does Version Tracker well and I was in here posting with it the other day... works fine once you set it up properly... just remember not to ask it to do anything that you know it can't do... like it is ridiculous that they ask you to set it as your preferred browser for the love of ... as a browser for downloads and forum bashing I find it a super speedy breezy browser...<br>I have no trouble with it crashing IE but then IE is not set as preferred browser... I never would allow that to happen.<br>IE usually works fine for me too though it can get upset that I have been playing with settings and things without letting it know first... sometimes just decides to force me to restart but not very often... usually after a lot of work with more than one browser open.<br><br>

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/16/01 08:39 AM

to all... thanks for the comments....<br><br>I'll check out the hacking tips on ResEx.... <br><br>and, i think I'll just reinstall IE at some point and see if that saves my butt... I really like IE, just because I'm used to it.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/18/01 11:56 PM

Have a look at the latest build of Mozilla - it's much faster than any previous release on Mac. <br><br>

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/19/01 05:08 AM

really ian? if you say so, I'll take a look. I had pretty much given up on anything coming out of netscape. And are you talking about a "mozzilla" release? or Netscape 6.1.1 Preview (or whatever they're calling it)? Thanks.<br><br>How's the UK treating you btw?<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/19/01 06:58 AM

there is a new tech release of opera out for OSX. Check out our front page, I think it's the first to mention it! not even versiontracker has it yet! <br>Good job stan!<br><br>

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/19/01 02:07 PM

Mozila - NOT Netscape 6.1, which I would guess is as bloated as the last release. Mozilla's generally much quicker than it's "commercial" sibling, thanks to dumping some of the features. One caveat is that I think it has a small memory leak - only really seems to impact when you use it over the course of a whole day, though, so it can't be too bad.<br><br>UK is treating me great, as always! :-)<br><br>

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/19/01 04:46 PM

ian, wanna drop a link to it in here?<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/20/01 03:23 AM

Here John.<br><br>http://www.mozilla.org/releases/<br><br>http://www.mozilla.org/ports/<br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: Opera web browser... sort of sucks - 06/20/01 06:28 AM

I must admit I'm surprised by how less bloated Netscape 6.1 is compared to its immediate 6.0 parent. Granted, it's still buggy, but it operates at least twice as fast as 6.0. Except with multiple windows, which is slow for no good reason.<br><br><br>---<br>www.skewedperspective.com<br>www.themacmind.com