Way to re-process PDF?

Posted by: DaddyMac

Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:01 AM

Any way to take a print-quality PDF and somehow re-process it somehow to make it smaller in file size?<br><br>I don't have access to the original file, btw..<br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:25 AM

do a search for PDF in the Help menu. It gives instructions for reducing size.<br>Of course there are third party apps to do it too, and probably get an even smaller size.<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:31 AM

Couldn't you just open it in Photoshop?<br>At least I know I have in the past.<br><br>

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:37 AM

Thought of that, but it's 16 pages...<br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:48 AM

Oh yeah, 16 pages is quite different. <br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:51 AM

Acrobat Distiller.<br><br><br><br>Justice is like the serpent, only bites the barefoot.

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:53 AM

Well, thanks for trying but I don't think any of the tips in Acrobat was quite what I was looking for...their suggestions are things like removing thumbnails and hyperlinks, etc...<br><br>I don't think that's gonna get a 14mb file down to about a meg, which is what the 72-dpi versions of these-sized documents usually work out to be...<br><br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 11:53 AM

Distiller doesn't work with finished PDF's...already tried it.<br><br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 12:10 PM

With Acrobat Pro, under the "Advanced" menu, there's an item called PDF Optimizer that gives you all kinds of downsampling options. I just tried it on the Art Institute's Portland catalog which was 5.5MB and mostly images and took it down to 3.2MB. There were other settings I could have tried, but I wanted to make sure it made significant difference.<br><br>The only thing is that the document needs to NOT have any security (i.e., you're allowed to alter the documentócheck by hitting command+D). If it's not secured, then you can resample the file.<br><br>If it is secure, the only thing I think I could recommend is to print it to a .ps (postscript file) and then use Distiller to try some magic on it.<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 12:12 PM

oh, ha. I was actually talking about the help in OS X.<br>anyway, this was the info I was talking about here--->link<br><br>pdfCompress is the app I was thinking of.<br>Maybe it won't work with yours though, if yours is read only.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 12:13 PM

If it is secure, the only thing I think I could recommend is to print it to a .ps (postscript file) and then use Distiller to try some magic on it.<br><br>Trying to do that now...<br><br>I'm in Acrobat 5 Pro, btw- no Advanced menu and the PDF Optimizer tools didn't find anything 'extra' to extract to reduce the file size. Says 97.5% of my file is images, and I'm not seeing any way to downsample it from within AA...<br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 12:15 PM

Ah, I'm in 6 Pro. Not sure where it would be in 5.<br><br>

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 12:17 PM

I don't know if printing to a PS is going to work. My suspicion is that even if I did get that going, the Classic Distiller might have problems with an X-generated .ps file...<br><br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: cherry

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 12:55 PM

You can open the pdf, page by page in Illustrator and save each one.<br>It might take forever though!<br><br>

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 01:04 PM

<embed src="http://www.pusboil.com/mercifulcrap.wav" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type=video/quicktime><br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: cherry

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 01:09 PM

Hey, don't yell at me! You said 'no' to all of the other suggestions, its time to get ghetto then.<br><br>

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 01:36 PM

<br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Way to re-process PDF? - 05/12/04 06:45 PM

I know in Acrobat Pro 6 under the file menu there is a "Reduce File Size" option and it does extremely well. I don't know if it's there in version 5 though.<br><br>