Favorites Organization & How I Do It!

Posted by: bdog

Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/04/01 08:20 PM

This is how I organize my IE5 favorites (I have 100's!!). I put everything into the toolbar favorites (all are s containing items, or more s) and I organize them with dividers very well (not to brag or anything, I'm just a nit pick with a lot of time on his hands). Email me, and I will send you the HTML files that I exported, and you can import them, drop them into your toolbar favorites , and see what you think. And I even favorited this site up a bunch!! So for you administrators, this would come in very handy. The best thing about this is 1, you can access all of the links of that page (well, the main, essential ones anyways) without even haveing a page loaded, and having to click on a link to get a list of even more links. And 2, you don't even need to have a web page loaded at all!!!<br><br>Email me, and I will send you these html files promptly (after shcool and work :-). I really want to know what people think of my organization methods. Oh, and yea, I DO backup my favorites (my ENTIRE hard drive for that matter!!)<br><br>Thanks, and hope you like.<br><br>P.S. I really wish I had an iDisk right about know, but email is still super easy.<br><br>P.S.S. If I compress the files, and you can't open them, then just reply, and I will only encode them (I compress with stuffit 6).<br><br>P.S.S.S. Each HTML file is a folder that I have put in my toolbar favorites .<br><br>ENJOY!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)
Posted by: sean

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/08/01 09:15 AM

i hadn't thought of placing folders in the favorites toolbar. that tip was worth it alone. i do like you organization...i have replaced a few sites you frequent with my own that fit into each category (html file), but overall it is very nice and organized. thanx.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/10/01 10:34 AM

Thanks for the folder idea..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bdan on 06/10/01 01:35 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/10/01 08:55 PM

What, trying to steal my name with "bdan" & mine is "bdog".<br><br>JUST KIDDING! No1 can own a name! Hehe :-)<br><br>Have a WONDERFULL day!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/10/01 09:04 PM

The Cipher method of bookmark organisation:<br><br>1. Find a site you like.<br>2. Hit Apple-D, sometimes repeatedly.<br>3. Never open the menu again :)<br><br>... don't ask ;)<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/10/01 09:04 PM

MY FAVORITES HAVE BEEN UPDATED A LOT! GET THEM @ THE IDISK NAME OF "bdog111". Here, go to this page, login, then type in "bdog111" and then connect to the public !<br>https://itools.mac.com/WebObjects/iLogin...=US&lang=en<br><br>P.S. you will have to have an iTools account first!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/11/01 04:39 AM

Thanks. Got them!<br><br><br><br>Vijay<br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/11/01 06:12 AM

Cipher, I have exactly the same method. ;-)<br><br>My menu is so long I'm afraid to drop it down. When I need to reach a site, I start to type some characters in the address bar and usually find the page I'm looking for quickly.<br><br><br>JackSim
Posted by: sean

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/11/01 07:00 AM

i used to use a similar system with the long bookmarks file. once it reached the bottom of the screen, i would organize bookmarks. i would add a folder with the current date as the name and place all of the loose bookmarks in it and start the list all over again. i tended to make a new folder each month. once i got too many folders where they were taking up space for the regular bookmarks, i made a folder called old folders and placed all of the dated folders inside. it was a rare that i would actually go back and use any of the bookmarks, but it happened from time-to-time so i stuck with the method. i always meant to go back and label the names that didn't make sense a little better or find the links that didn't work anymore, but alas, i gave up and switched to a better (higher maintenance) system.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/12/01 04:14 AM

Hehe, I just don't use mine at all.<br>I don't keep a history either, so auto complete doesn't work for me.<br><br>I don't "surf" the net anymore, I have a set of sites I go to unless I have a specific task - in which case, I use bookmark FILES - drag the little bookmark icon (Netscape) or the @ symbol (Explorer) to the desktop to save the URL, or paste the URL into a text doc and apple-a, drag it to the desktop to make it a bookmark. Then I drop that in the particular tasks folder...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/12/01 10:49 PM

In IE I drag the URLs to folders either in the toolbar or in the Toolbar faves window get info on the URL and change the name to something short and recognizeable, the folders are also named something short and recognizeable so as to keep menus in widthtrim, subfolders within folders also keep the menus shorter, more specific.. note I keep a few application aliases such as ICQ and AIM, MSN and others that I may wish to access from here... this keeps some of the less used of the folders off the toolbar(under the arrow) and the MS defaults way way down at the bottom of the list so that I am never accidently selecting an MS link(taking them out does no good as IE wants to put them back all the time... and in the wrong places)<br><br>Netscape 4.76 used to allow me to drag directly to these toolbar folders but not put them away till I hit command/b to open and then command/W to close the bookmark window... this auto-put-away the link into the corresponding folder you had dragged it next to....BUT in 4.77 I have to Command/b and then drag the bookmark into its folder in Edit bookmarks window, then close the window... frown never mind at least i dont have to put up with Netscape defaults here. No you don't seem to be able to install application aliases in the Netscape toolbar, not that this worries me... there are benefits and disadvantages to every app. <br><br>In Eudora's toolbar/button bar you can add these aliases to applications too....as well as folders from your HD.. such as... I have the spool folder there so I can easily check and empty it... or add command key combinations so that one click saves several key fumbles.<br><br><br>you cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/12/01 11:02 PM

In IE,.. I drag the URLs to folders either in the toolbar or in the Toolbar faves window, get info on the URL and change the name to something short and recognizeable. The folders are also named similarly, so as to keep menus in width trim. Subfolders within folders also keep the menus shorter, more specific.. note I keep a few application aliases such as ICQ and AIM, MSN and others that I may wish to access from here... this keeps some of the less used of the folders off the toolbar(under the arrow) and the MS defaults way way down at the bottom of the list, so that I am never accidently selecting an MS link(taking them out does no good as IE wants to put them back all the time... and in the wrong places).<br><br>Netscape 4.76 used to allow me to drag directly to these toolbar folders but not put them away till I hit command/b to open and then command/W to close the bookmark window... this auto-put-away the link into the corresponding folder you had dragged it next to....BUT in 4.77, I have to Command/b and then drag the bookmark into its folder in Edit bookmarks window, then close the window... frown <br>Never mind at least I dont have to put up with Netscape defaults here. No you don't seem to be able to install application aliases in the Netscape toolbar, not that this worries me... there are benefits and disadvantages to every app. Note Netscape also allows the same method of shortening the names to manageable lengths : select link in the edit bookmarks window, command/i and highlight name ..abbreviate..<br><br>In Eudora's toolbar/button bar you can add these aliases to applications too....as well as folders from your HD.. such as... I have the spool folder there so I can easily check and empty it... or add command key combinations so that one click saves several key fumbles. Note that if you continue to hold command key while naming the button (selecting the item to connect with the button), that the name on the button will also include "Cmd+the command".. if you let go the command key after selecting the name this button window then the name will simply be " the command " that you attributed to the button, sans the added "Cmd+" title<br><br><br>you cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 06/23/01 12:29 PM

I have updated the favorites somewhat. I fixed some broken links. Email me if you want them, or get them from my iDisk: bdog111<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 08/18/01 08:56 AM

you are the man! Thanks a lot!<br><br><br>-- j o n k n e e --<br><br>

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 08/18/01 10:43 AM

Just gald that I could help! The funny thing is that for the longest time, I was just exporting the favs, and never importing them, you know, to do a test, and I found out that IE won't import anything unless it has ".html" as the extension. I also had 7 files, but now I combined them into 1 file!<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 08/28/01 08:29 PM

I have preformed the biggest update to these tonight (took about 1.25 hours). Their on my iDisk, or you can email me!<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 04/02/02 08:54 PM

I'll check yours out soon.<br><br>I use [color:blue]URL Manager Pro </font color=blue> and have for about eight years. Works with many browsers, however NS 6.2.1 doesn't support shared menus, not sure about ver 6.2.2; I use IE 5.1.3.<br><br>Works like a charm, can validate links and many other things.<br><br>--<br>Regards,<br>Ed<br>Onward & Upward

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 04/02/02 09:28 PM

Hope you will like them!<br><br>--------------------------<br>John Bailey ([color:red]Bdog</font color=red>)<br><br>Email Me! ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 04/03/02 03:23 PM

egoham... <br><br>I just checked out your profile... i thought my computer was old... geez... yours are ancient...<br><br>

Re: Favorites Organization & How I Do It! - 04/03/02 06:27 PM

Maybe when the G5s are available I'll upgrade. G3/233/DT 30GB HD, 544MB RAM, Zip100 internal, cable modem is my best setup.<br><br>Got rid of the Apple IIc in 1998. That baby had 128k built-in and used 5.25" floppies which were also 128k. Used a punch so both sides could be used.<br><br>At least I'm not feeling ancient... only 42 and counting.<br><br>--<br>Regards,<br>Ed [b][color:blue]egoham</font color=blue><br><br>[color:black]Email </font color=black> [email: [color:blue]egoham@excite.com</font color=blue>] [color:blue]egoham@excite.com</font color=blue>[/email]