Graphic designers & print folks

Posted by: MacGizmo

Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 06:44 PM

Great article for graphic designers/print pros on the subject of file formats and how the tide is changing to using a PSD workflow rather than the old standard of .tif and .eps.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: Trog

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 07:09 PM

I know the psd format is very flexible with its layering and all, but isn't it kinda bad to push a closed standard? Or is .psd not patented by Adobe?<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 07:27 PM

PSD is proprietary. = Photoshop document.<br>Graphic designers are always full of themselves.<br>They do not realise that anyone can be a graphic designer.. It is a matter of taste and a developed artistic expression combined with a knowledge of the engineering this last only comes with experience... Not something a uni degree in Graphic Design alone, can give. Talent is still talent. Funny how latent is an anagram of talent.<br><br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br><pre>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue></pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 08:16 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Graphic designers are always full of themselves.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I think you have a full 'tree' on your shoulder these days, Treebeard. <br><br><br>FWIW, I was just wondering if pushing a proprietary format is good for the industry. We've seen what its done in other areas.. *cough*windows media*cough* I guess the difference is that psd is actually good, but still, that's a lot of power to one, already powerful corporation.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 08:24 PM

I hate to say this, but the day any other App comes close to PS i might start to care. <br><br>Though it would be nice if a company would create a standard and not patent it.<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 08:45 PM

but you didn't disagree.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br><pre>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue></pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 08:47 PM

the difference is.. that power can sometimes be deserved.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br><pre>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue></pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 10:40 PM

.eps is a proprietary format (Adobe's postscript) and .tif belongs to some other group. They're just file formats like any other and can hardly be considered closed considering Photoshop is the God almighty of image editing.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 10:48 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>They do not realise that anyone can be a graphic designer..<p><hr></blockquote><p>Thanks for reminding us how stupid you really are.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>...Not something a uni degree in Graphic Design alone, can give. Talent is still talent.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, cause you know, the 1 year at a community college required to become a substitute teacher is sooooo much more prestigious.<br><br>I truly do hope I misunderstood your comments, because you're insulting roughly 1/3rd of the members in this forum with stupid comments like that. Great graphic design only around 40% to do with "artistic impression and taste" and much more to do with understanding people, their emotions and what makes them tick.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 10:50 PM

I see, thanks<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/27/04 10:54 PM

I forgot the on my reply to you. OBVIOUSLY, Adobe has the "design/print" world by the collective balls. The upside is, they make quality products, unlike that POS company that makes WMP! <br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 12:34 AM

consider that as you may. I insult no one. Insult is determined only by those that take umbrage. Which is in reality an expression of themselves and not necessarily at fault of my comment. If you have learned your trade well, you could well have come up with a better argument than that which you dragged from your own gutter.<br><br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br><pre>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue></pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 12:53 AM

truly spoken.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br><pre>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue></pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 12:59 AM

If you truly understood people and what makes them tick,then you would not be posting such messages to me. Your messages would have a different timbre to them. <br><br>Something which I cannot say I have seen as yet, from watching your posts over the last year or three.<br><br>Hence me bothering to refute your false accusations at all.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br><pre>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue></pre><p>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 01:16 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>consider that as you may. I insult no one. Insult is determined only by those that take umbrage. Which is in reality an expression of themselves and not necessarily at fault of my comment. If you have learned your trade well, you could well have come up with a better argument than that which you dragged from your own gutter.<p><hr></blockquote><p>i also took as an insult, you might want to read your message again<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 02:36 AM

There is nothing wrong with you being full of yourself..;<br> No one can take that away from you.. <br>and <br>anyone can be a graphic designer; <br>that does not necessarily make them as good as you <br>and <br>yes a university degree cannot by a mere fraction teach you all that you should know and will learn by experience..;<br> so, now what insulted you?<br>and.. your statement that you were insulted.. implies nothing about me or my statements.. it simply implys that you felt insulted .. not that I felt as if I was insulting you.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br><pre>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue></pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 05:46 AM

Go climb a tree and bark at the moon.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 05:56 AM

<br>Obviously a great example of all that learning.<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"Great graphic design only around 40% to do with "artistic impression and taste" and much more to do with understanding people, their emotions and what makes them tick."<p><hr></blockquote><p>yep I really want to be called a Graphic designer now .. <br>I wanna know how to make people chunder.<br>C'mon expert man.. <br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 06:20 AM

OMG, you really know how to stir up the sh!t, don't you?!!!<br><br>I'm laughing my ass off because in one breath you're saying that graphic designers are 'full of themselves' (a point which I wholeheartedly DISagree with, being a designer myself), and in a couple of posts later (after drawing the ire of a few forum members), basically sugar-coating your statement by saying, "Oh, there's nothing WRONG with being full of yourself"...<br><br>I really hope you're not TRYING to piss us all off, and that this is just your personality. <br><br>
Posted by: cherry

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 07:44 AM

yes, I will agree with the crowd, that is insulting. <br><br>Sure anyone can be a graphic designer, anyone can be anything they want to be. To be a good designer is another story, and not everyone can. <br><br>I don't know why you would… I don't know what to say! <br>Why?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 08:34 AM

I wish that I could be God. I really really do. Boy would I fix stuff!<br><br>Maybe if I try hard enough? <br><br>I know for sure I could never ever be a graphic designer. I just don't have the talent.<br><br>Oh Lord (speaking to myself again )--there's that word again <br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 08:43 AM

you can yoyo you can!<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 10:22 AM

You know, he gives the kind of response that tries to make you think, "nothings insulting with what I said, you just think I said something insulting".<br><br>Reminds me of the Richard Pryor movie where his wife walks in to their bedroom and catches him with another woman in bed. She screams what's going on here, he replies. "Nothings wrong baby, do you beleive me, or do you believe your eyes".<br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 10:27 AM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. lol <br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 10:30 AM

<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 04:59 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"Nothings wrong baby, do you beleive me, or do you believe your eyes".<p><hr></blockquote><p>I remember my sixth grade teacher telling us, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." Ahh, words to live by.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 05:26 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see<p><hr></blockquote><p>And he told you that before digital photography and manipulation. <br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 06:15 PM

The problem Ma Cherie, is that there is a tendency to put overconfidence before learned intelligence. Thus to say; things which belittle the actual intellectual ability of the overconfident arse who would rather insult than step down to a level of comprehensible commuication, with his/her peers.<br><br>The fact remains. Anyone can become a Graphic Designer. Otherwise there would be none.<br>Good Graphic Designers need to be trained. Talent does need to be nurtured.<br>Manners are an indivisible part of intellect. There is no way that a well trained and capable person should ever treat another as if they are an idiot.<br>The ability to comprehend what the customer is on about should also be a part of the training. The ability to communicate the best course of action to any customer is a prerequisite to success in your chosen trade.<br>The reason that Graphic Designers were chosen to be brought to attention was simply the fact that the most consistent offenders .. are . or call themselves Graphic Designers. This is not my fault. I did not give them the right to insult the trade practices of other Graphic Designers.<br><br>The fact that I can call them to accountability does not and should not insult anyone with any modicum of intelligence.<br><br><br><br>and.. please do not be offended that I chose your post to answer with this comment.. for it is really intended for others ears as well as yours.<br><br>The fact that I chose you to answer was more related to the fact that rife blame-laying has been being spread across the forum by those whom are incapable of dealing with an intellect of the equal to that which they claim to have.<br><br>The last thing I or anybody would want is to have the level of communication lowered to the point of branch stacking everyone into the idiot box.<br><br>I would prefer that the TGD's etc in this place(once again chosen because the same people always pick on him too) could actually have some attempt made to be treated as an equal and an attempt made to comprehend and incur comprehensive posts to and from. <br>Each of us does have something to say. <br>Often of great importance to the debate at hand.<br>All fun aside, I would like to see more attempts at communication than belittlement. <br><br>Everyone with intelligent observation will observe the people that I have drawn to account for their actions. <br><br>If anyone goes back through their posts they will see, to their dismay that these people by their behaviour, continually bring the trade of Graphic Designer into disrepute.<br><br>If those whom believe they are good at their trade, cannot see what I am saying then they are not destined to be good at anything.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 06:29 PM

Being full of yourself is what makes you capable of your art.. It is your talent and if it has been nurtured properly, you will be able to feel your talent surging through your veins. It is a prerequisite for being a talented designer... or whatever you are/want to be.<br>There is nothing wrong with this in any way shape or form and I did not ever say there was.<br>All I said was that people who give themselves a title.. are full of themselves. <br>There is also nothing wrong with me stating the truth.<br>No sugar coating was implied nor added. No insult was implied either for that matter.<br>For one to take offence, does indeed mean that one has not applied their own intellect to the communication problem at hand..<br>Read into what I say, what you may but please do not accuse me of thinking like you. For everyone should know that this is impossible. Viva la difference!<br><br>I really do wish you to know that I have nothing against you personally, though your inability to comprehend my English does cause you problems with communicating with me.<br><br><br>For all you or anyone else knows, I may well be a asset to have as a friend. But how will anyone ever find out if they do not try?<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 06:42 PM

I really do wish you to know that I have nothing against you personally, though your inability to comprehend my English does cause you problems with communicating with me.<br><br><br>It appears you're having that problem with quite a few people around here... What do you suppose the solution is?<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 06:52 PM

I am not having any problem. My communications are my own and I am having no problem with writing them.<br>The problem appears to be with less of an application of reading and comprehension skills than the application of the bruised ego complex.<br><br>Why must you for example always reverse the first person.<br><br>Please re-read the answer you just posted and think objectively instead of subjectively.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 07:30 PM

So what about .png, that's not proprietary, right?<br><br>Wait, what were we talking about here?<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 08:09 PM

If I was the only one having these 'misunderstandings' with you time and time again, I would agree that it would be my fault and that I'd have to work on my 'comprehension skills'.<br><br>But I'm not, so.... draw your own conclusions.<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 08:30 PM

Right, PNG was supposed to be the successor to both GIF and JPEG—both of which required licensing whereas PNG is an open standard with no licensing fees.<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 08:52 PM

[censored] on you, on my behalf. <br>I do what I do off my own bat.<br>I put it to you that I am not here to disrupt you.<br>It is the continual reminders that cause me to comment at all, otherwise I would leave the issue where it was with my first statement .<br>The fact that I have to keep explaining my actions to you means that you must be having problems understanding the issue or you must be continually trying to bait me. <br>I will leave that in your court. <br>If all you can come up with is "it is not me so it must be you" then you really have no argument.. If so, why continue with it? <br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 08:55 PM

As far as I know png is simply a portable network graphic, which does not suggest anything proprietary at all.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 09:49 PM

As I already said. For more go see libpng.org<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 09:56 PM

thanks sorry, I hadn't read this post at the time of my post.<br><br>Trör Ironbrow<br><br>[color:blue]The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough</font color=blue><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 10:34 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br><br>The problem Ma Cherie<br><br><p><hr></blockquote><p>ok, so I have no interest in reading any more of that.<br><br><br>I studied botany for a while, I was all on that [censored], but you know what… it was easier than visual arts. So easy as a matter of fact that it all was simply a matter of fact. Just like mathematics, one really does not need to use their mind. Easy freaking answers, I agree with what you said about the experience part. This thing is not something that can be leaned. High fives to all the designers, your brains work while everyone else is sleeping!<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/28/04 11:50 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But that more like you are defending the two, who have. .. and where are they? Why aren't they continuing making an issue?<p><hr></blockquote><p>i didn't reply, because there is nothing to comment on. you're just repeating yourself. also, talking about comprehension of your messages: i don't think starting a new paragraph for every sentence your write will give more emphasis on them. you "sound" like Bush. it's easier to read a flowing text.<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 05:02 AM

I used to be a math major once upon a time, and let me tell you, once you get beyond simple calculus, math ain't exactly a matter of automatic brain-deadness. In fact, I quit math because it became pretty clear to me that I did not have the inventiveness necessary to make a real contribution in the subject.<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 05:12 AM

You're right. I am sorry. I was just exaggerating to make a point.<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 07:17 AM

&[censored] on you, on my behalf. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Why, did I give the impression that I felt like you had other people bad-mouthing me on your behalf?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The fact that I have to keep explaining my actions to you means that you must be having problems understanding the issue or you must be continually trying to bait me.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Not at all. You seemed to be having your own problems in this thread before I even said a word. The 'full of themselves' comment just happened to be directed at my career choice, so I chose to speak my mind.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If all you can come up with is "it is not me so it must be you" then you really have no argument.. If so, why continue with it?<p><hr></blockquote><p>My argument was that since I'M not the one having misunderstandings and words with MULTIPLE members on this forum, I don't think it's me who's having the communication problem here. <br><br>Let's just agree to avoid each other, since it's obvious we rub each other the wrong way.<br><br>(and now you can repeat yourself and tell me that you mean no harm to anyone...blah blah blah blah)<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 08:05 AM

No worries. I too do it often.<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 08:13 AM

I was up to Calculus in high school, but I didn't take the course in my senior year because I thought the teacher teaching it was too stupid (he had one of the students in the class actually teach most of the lessons in the Advanced Trigonometry class). When I went to college and only had to take Math for General Education for a graphic design degree, it was the easiest class ever —I sat in the back of the classroom and worked on my design compositions. <br><br>I had said in HS that math was the only vocation where there's a set of rules that never get broken—and that was boring to me. If only I had been exposed to theoretical math and chaos theories earlier, I might have become a scientist. Knowing what I know today, I almost wish I had gotten into Astrophysics. I took an upper-division Astrophysics course and it was one of the easiest 'A's I earned in college—yet there were physic majors struggling with it. I couldn't figure out why when it was so fascinating. I was so giddy and geeky about the subject that I used to hang out after class just so I could walk the professor back to his office and talk more about the day's lecture.<br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 06:48 PM

Apology certainly not necessary, cherry--just sharing my experience. Sorta like sharing virtual water <br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 06:58 PM

Well, I got into math for exactly the reason that got you out of it--I mean, I was looking for certainty, and math seemed to offer precisely what I wanted. Then I took a course on number theory in college (my first college course was integral calculus, which I'd had in high school, and so I never went to the class--in fact, on the night of the midterm, I was . . . well, I sorta wasn't, if you know what I mean . . . and the only reason I found out there was an exam was that another kid on my floor was taking the same class. I aced the test, which gives some idea of how easy I found it). Number theory was taught by a gentleman who had first gone to divinity school, had an MDiv, in fact, and then had shifted to math. He was enthralling. But the course challenged every assumption I'd made about math. In fact, the first day of class we were told very gently that we had to forget everything we knew about the way numbers functioned because the first half of the term would be dedicated to defining a series of number systems that might or might not duplicate the "actual" number systems. So we invented whole numbers and the rules that make whole numbers work. And we invented integers and the rules that make integers work, and so on. One result of that part of the class was a deep sense that the certainty of math was a result of the invention of number systems--with emphasis on invention. We came up with alternative systems, with very different rules, which were as consistent as the "actual" number system. And then, of course, we came to the major catch of any consistent system: you can't prove that it's "true." Another way of putting it is that the statement "system A is true" (a self-reflective statement) adds a level of complexity that isn't contained within the consistency of the system itself. You have to go outside of the system to demonstrate its "truth." Well, I said to myself, so much for certainty <br><br>edit: A really fabulous book that explains the problem, among other equally fascinating issues, is Jacob Bronowski's Origins of Knowledge and Imagination. I recommend it to anyone who is at all interested in teh problem of knowledge (epistemology) and its metaphysical implications.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 01/29/04 10:05 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/29/04 08:55 PM

See, and to me, that sounded fascinating. I would have loved it.<br><br>
Posted by: azande

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/30/04 12:48 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>A really fabulous book that explains the problem, among other equally fascinating issues, is Jacob Bronowski's Origins of Knowledge and Imagination. I recommend it to anyone who is at all interested in teh problem of knowledge (epistemology) and its metaphysical implications.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Thanks for the tip, I'll check the book out in Borders this weekend, that's something that always interested me.<br><br>Az.<br>That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed. - The Sandman
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/31/04 05:52 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If you truly understood people and what makes them tick,then you would not be posting such messages to me. Your messages would have a different timbre to them. <br><br>Something which I cannot say I have seen as yet, from watching your posts over the last year or three.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm still laughing... <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 01/31/04 07:36 PM

Ok well, anyway...<br><br>Yeah, that is a good article, badly written perhaps, bud good. PDF has made my life at work a WHOLE lot easier. And as soon as all the morons at the university learns how to make one, it'll be cake.<br><br>Sorry for getting off topic. <br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 02/01/04 07:07 AM

I love being able to use layered PSD files containing transparency, as well as native Illustrator files (which saves a ton of space on the HD). InDesign got my attention for this reason only. Not having to flatten photoshop files. It kept my attention for much more, but that's a well-covered topic.<br><br>PDF has made my life easier because most of my freelance clients are outside of Arizona, and at the office, jobs are always too much of a rush to bother burning CD and using FedEx.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!
Posted by: trey

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 02/01/04 10:06 AM

I've yet to use Indesign 2, but I'm supposed to put together a CD cover for someone tomorrow, so that's going to be my app. I'll let you know what I think.<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 02/03/04 11:48 AM

Good article! I've done two projects in InDesign and I like it for it's ability to import PSD too. The HTML authoring software I use, [color:blue]Freeway</font color=blue>, just added PSD import too. Man, that is sweet!<br><br>I'm currently working a contract job and it would be a real mess without PDFs. I am the only Mac the rest are PCs. It has been the easiest solution for everybody to review, approve, etc. I'm finishing this contract in 2 weeks and my next job is at an all Mac shop...yessss!<br><br>And I'll stay out of the above conversation...I get enuff 'o dat at the other forum. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Graphic designers & print folks - 02/03/04 12:15 PM

PSD import in both FCP4 and DVDSP2...<br><br>With DVDSP2, supposedly you can import a PSD file with different menu button states on different layers, and then reveal the layers as you're creating the menu buttons...<br><br>Sweet!<br><br>