OH MY! I really did it this time!

Posted by: sross

OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 04:34 PM

Here is what happened:<br>I installed a Netgear wireless router ($49 plus a $20 mfgr coupon).........but that's beside the point. I finally got everything connected. The Cube in the library for the missus, the iMac DV in the Kitchen and my Quicksilver in my office.<br>But, Noooo, I couldn't leave well enough alone!<br>I decided this morning to install OS X on the iMac and started the upgrade. I got restless after about 5 minutes of a spinning spoke and a blank blue screens and decided to stop the download. Here is where it get's really stupid. I tried to stop the download and force-quit the computer. Now, all it does is start for about 5 seconds and shuts down. I can't eject the disk (slot loaded) and, because it isn't on long enough to spin the disk, I can't use the paper clip method.<br>Yes, I have gone to the Apple site and have searched every for a solution to eject the disk. <br>I am hoping that I can get a repair disk with a system on it like DiskWarrior to crank it up and see if there is anything left. But, I can't do a thing until I get the disk out of there. SH!T ! I am so stupid to do such a bone-head thing.<br>Before I have to take it to the Apple store, is there anything I can do? (No, not that!...... I mean with the computer)<br>Thanks<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 04:53 PM

Well, that's NO fun. I believe if you hold down he mouse button while starting up it will force-eject from the optical drive (I think). It shouldn't require a functional system to do it, but I can't say for sure.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 04:58 PM

I tried that and it didn't work. Although, that is what Apple suggests as a way to eject. The computer just doesn't stay on long enough to spin up.<br>I think what happened with the disk is that it was in the process of doing firmware stuff when I stupidly shut down the Mac.<br>I tried all the key combinations as well. <br>Thanks for the suggestion, however.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 04:58 PM

Here is an article about how to remove problem disks. One thing it mentions is booting to open firmware mode (now that should not require a system) to force eject.<br><br><br><br>Open Firmware<br><br>1. Restart the computer. If necessary, use the reset/interrupt button.<br>2. Immediately after the system startup tone, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F key combination. The computer starts up to a text-only screen, indicating that you are in Open Firmware. <br>3. At the prompt, type: eject cd<br>4. Press Return.<br>5. Type: mac-boot <br>6. Press Return<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 05:00 PM

Ugh... if it really did screw up the firmware somehow (I don't know enough about that stuff to even comment) then you might be in big trouble. <br><br>Hope somebody else on here has some better suggestions.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 05:00 PM

Thanks, I tried that too..........it just shuts down in about 5 seconds after the lovely startup chime.<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 05:56 PM

Do you have a firewire HD? Can you hook it up and boot up off of it?<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 06:37 PM

I may try that tomorrow. I don't think I know how to order it to be the startup since "c" is taken up with the stuck disk and the computer won't stay on long enough to look for a system.<br> I am so sleepy and I want to talk to the local guru on the phone tomorrow. Thanks, John<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sross on 01/11/04 09:39 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 07:04 PM

No problem Sherm.<br><br>You can also boot it Target Disk Mode? That way you can save the data...<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 07:04 PM

Hold down option.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 07:18 PM

Uh......what is target disk mode?<br>I really want to save the data. All my wife's information is on there and I didn't back it up. She synchs her Handspring Visor from her business to the iMac in the kitchen. <br>I don't know why I didn't synch with her Cube.<br>Remember, the iMac wasn't on the LAN. Oh Lordy, and she is in Scotland visiting her mom. I need to move fast!<br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 07:34 PM

Open the iMac DV and pull hard drive. Transfer the files from her drive to your computer.<br><br>I would do this before doing anything else! I believe the drive is located on the front of the computer so you'll have to pop the shell off. The whole thing can be taken apart with a single phillips screwdriver.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/11/04 07:52 PM

That's a good idea by John. If you hold down "t" when starting up, it should boot as only a firewire hard drive. Then you can plug it in to another Mac and transfer the files off of it (and use a disk utility on it).<br><br>Although.... if the firmware is screwed that may not work either <br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 04:41 AM

I'm at the office now and can't try those great suggestions. You say the shell is easy to pop open: If the shell is popped off, will it make it easier to get the disk out? <br>To me, it seems that things will be much easier and I may be able to salvage something if I can just get that disk out.<br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:35 AM

I would first try the Target Disk Mode before cracking open that case. <br><br>
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:37 AM

i beleve there's a miniscule little hole almost too small to see even if you're looking for it on the right side of the slot-load cd. you can stick the paper clip in there...<br><br>i've got a slot-load imac<br><br>[color:red]It's time to start slapping people</font color=red>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:40 AM

Man, what a bone-head move on my part. <br>I just can't believe I did it..............yes I can.<br> I just simply never leave well enough alone.<br>I will try your suggestion when I get home. Thanks<br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:42 AM

ahhh don't worry about it Sherm! <br><br>All you need is a firewire cable (you can use the one that the iPod came with), hook them up and hold down the T key when starting up your iMac.<br><br>So, after this..you know what you need? A firewire HD! <br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:42 AM

David, the Apple site says the computer must be on and the disk spinning to eject it by that method. In my case, it only chimes, makes a few startup sounds and shuts down.<br>Thanks for your input.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:44 AM

Oh wait...I just now looked back. you DO have a FW hard drive? Hold down the Option key when starting up like Michael said.<br><br>Try THAT first, then the target disk mode if that doesn't work.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:49 AM

I will give it a try when I get home. I was so frustrated last night that I had to walk away before I did more harm.<br><br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 05:58 AM

That's fine. Sounds like a good time to just noodle around on the bass! <br><br>Speaking of which...garageband sounds right up your alley! <br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 06:02 AM

Funny you should mention my bass. Yesterday, I jammed with a new group that I may be doing some appearances with.<br>Guitar player..................Incredible. He has been playing 30 years and plays it all.(Lots of original stuff)<br>Drums.............................This guy is pro quality and is a Priest! <br>Bass.................................Me. Well, we'll talk about my playing some other time.<br>EDIT: I am really looking forward to GarageBand. Lots of music spinning around in my head.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 06:06 AM

See! I bet that helps reduce the stress from the problems with the iMac <br><br>Now...record something and let us hear it! <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 07:31 AM

And what have we learned in all of this?<br><br>Hopefully patience. DON'T MANUALLY CANCEL AN INSTALLATION BY RESETTING THE COMPUTER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER...<br><br>Ok, back to your day.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 07:38 AM

I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait <br>I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait<br>I will be patient and wait<br>I WILL BE PATIENT AND WAIT!<br><br><br>
Posted by: lislaz

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 07:59 AM

Good dog. <br><br><br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 08:00 AM

But I sincerely hope everything works out for you Sherman.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 02:32 PM

Well I tried it (trying to start from external firewire drive with system, holding down option key) and it didn't work.<br>Now I have to decide whether to take it to the Apple store or another authorized dealer.(One that's not quite so busy)<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 02:42 PM

It is covered under warranty? Then the AppleStore probably.<br><br>Did you try Target disk mode?<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 02:52 PM

Not covered. I did just talk to the manager of the Apple Store (her buddy is a prosecutor who used to work in my court) and she said to bring it in and she would put the best tech on it.<br>I remember who she will assign it to. He is very good and calm (knows how to handle whiners like me )<br>Stay tuned.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/12/04 03:02 PM

well, good luck! Keep us posted.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 06:50 AM

Well, I took it to the Apple Store and turned it over to the top tech. He tried all the conventional methods, scratched his head and told me to leave it. Eeesh!<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 04:40 PM

I am at a loss for words sherman.<br>I thought that maybe after the canceling sending of an email thing that... well...oh, nevermind<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 05:04 PM

LOL. I just talked to my wife who is in Scotland visiting her mom and told her that it was still at the shop. She said that maybe it's toast and perhaps I should consider getting a 12"Powerbook (HEH) to take it's place.<br>I had to hide my glee by saying "oh, I guess I may have to do that." <br>EDIT: Then she jokingly said that I had done a cheap and shabby trick to get a new Mac. Who me?<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sross on 01/13/04 08:16 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 05:16 PM

You sly thing, so there are motives behind your actions...hahaha<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 06:16 PM

Motive and opportunity. Guilty guilty guilty <br><br> [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 06:27 PM

So what shall we sentence him to, Judge YoYo?? <br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 06:29 PM

I think we should fine him--one dualie G5 per Pooh Bah or above.<br><br>Seems fair, no? And what an incentive to post-pad! <br><br> [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/13/04 06:33 PM

Yeah, that's it.......a kitchen dualie!<br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 08:01 AM

Not fair, not fair. <br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 08:11 AM

Four words for you, my man: [color:red]click the Continue button</font color=red><br><br><br><br> [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 08:40 AM

I thought I did. <br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 11:10 AM

The trick is to do it over and over and over and over and over and over . . . . . . .<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 11:30 AM

Okay, now I understand.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 11:31 AM

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 11:51 AM

Now you're getting it.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 12:12 PM

<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/14/04 12:28 PM

Good man!<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/15/04 07:33 AM

Well, here it is thursday and I haven't heard from them. They said that they would call if there had to be a purchase or replacement part. Either they haven't started or they are still trying to do it without having to put parts that cost more than the worth of the computer.<br>I am very reluctant to call them.<br>]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sross on 01/15/04 10:34 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/15/04 08:00 AM

keep us posted sherm<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/17/04 07:30 AM

All is well.<br>They replaced the logicboard and installed Panther. It is in the kitchen and I have learned a very expensive lesson. <br>We are going to use it only for addresses and kitchen surfing so I feel just fine. <br>I really appreciate all the suggestions and encouragement.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/17/04 07:36 AM

good news sherm<br>happy kitchen surfing!<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/17/04 08:51 AM

Good to hear it's fixed! Was it the interrupted upgrade that led to the problem?<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/17/04 09:13 AM

They said that my attempts to eject the Panther disk and my repeated restarts (some by holding the button engaged) caused the already weakened logic board to turn to toast.<br>I will NEVER do that again! This wasn't a spinning beachball but one of those revolving spokes that I interrupted. I treated it like all needed was a force quit when it was in the process of doing a firmware upgrade.<br>Sometimes an education comes with a cost.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/17/04 09:23 AM

Hey, if it doesn't cost, it isn't an education--right? <br><br> [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/17/04 09:31 AM

Yep, there is usually some cost with all learning experiences.<br><br>

Re: OH MY! I really did it this time! - 01/17/04 07:36 PM

HA! HA! Ain't that the truth! <br><br>