Application Switcher...

Posted by: Anonymous

Application Switcher... - 06/01/01 09:42 PM

The Mac OS' (classic) built-in keystroke application switcher is quite pathetic... I always "upgrade" to either GoMac/LiteSwitch or Program Switcher. But here's what I don't get... to my knowledge, the only way to turn *off* the built-in application switcher (which isn't always overridden by using a different one) is to go into the CD Extras folder of a Mac OS CD and run the HyperCard stack in the HyperCard Update folder.<br><br>Seems a little, er, inconvenient? Does anyone know a way to more easily disable the built-in switcher? There's gotta be some AppleScript somewhere...<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... - 06/01/01 11:54 PM

Yeah i would have to say that MacOS Application Switcher is usless....<br><br>I love GoMac's built-in application switcher, having the ability to quit multiple apps. at once is vary nice and i also notice at GoMac is much faster...<br><br><br>I have toyed around with some AppleScripts on this topic once, but have never had any kind of luck, i though i saw somthing along this line once at a apple script site once but i can't remember which one:-( i will keep i eyes open....<br><br>Oni<br><br>this is my signature do you like it?

Re: Application Switcher... - 06/02/01 02:53 AM

Remove the AppSwitcher extension... is that what you're talking about?<br><br>Personally, I love it...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... - 06/02/01 03:42 AM

Yep. Disable the Application Switcher Extension.<br><br>Vijay<br><br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: Application Switcher... - 06/02/01 07:53 AM

I thought the App Switcher extension only allows you to tear off the Application menu (the Extensions Manager description for this says the same), not control the keyboard-app-switcher. I think I've tried that before, but I'll give it another whirl.<br><br>I just find it really odd that Apple controls the keyboard switcher with a HyperCard stack, rather than just making it an option in the keyboard control panel or something.<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... - 06/02/01 09:00 AM

Yeah I have tried to remove the App Swithcer Extension before, it only controls the tear off part of the Application menu....<br><br>Oni<br><br><br><br>this is my signature do you like it?
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/02/01 10:10 AM

I may have missed it but I did not see all the great 3rd party ways of bypassing the App switcher mentioned above. I use and hack a great variety of applications for my own amusement just to see how big a smartass i am and to learn things from my mistakes so I use (trial a range of things).<br>Thus I have and use ActionGoMac, Extension Strip and DragThing as my main ways of switching apps I use X-Launch and have disabled Appple's Launcher.(note dragthing allows you to switch OS 8.5 command tabbing on and off). Lately I have also trialled TaskMenuBar I find the Extensions strip Process Manager csm much better to use than the Application Switcher. <br>As you may imagine... I NEVER use the application switcher..EXCEPT... and this is an IMPORTANT reason for NOT disabling it. That exception is in Extensions OFF mode.. where NONE of the other things work... only the Application Switcher does. This is a good reason I suppose for the hypercard questions posed here... but then I only suppose... I don't know. <br>The point is that everything has a distinct advantage and style which will appeal more to one use or other but when it boils down to nitty gritty... Apple has already allowed for that.<br><br>..

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/02/01 05:28 PM

Hm, ok, well, if its in a HC stack then its executable code. It'd be an XCMD or XFCN. I love messing with HyperCard, so I'll grab that stack, mess with it, and see if I can make it into a little app of its own (the thing that turns this off).<br><br>Why? Why not...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/02/01 08:06 PM

heh... why not? that's clever Cipher. (glad you're here now)<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: bdog

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/03/01 08:57 PM

If you turn off the "command-tab" feature via "a program that I can email you" it writes to the "System Preferences" file. Email me, and I will give you what you need!! If you trash your "System Preferences" and you HAD your command-tab off, then it will be back on (go ahead, try it!!)<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/04/01 01:41 AM

John - thanks, glad to be here :)<br><br>bdog - why not post it on iDisk? Or I could host it if you like.<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/04/01 04:57 AM

heh... the resourcefulnes of hackers... <br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/04/01 06:07 PM

Yea, with HS graduation right now, I am too busy to set up an iDisk. I will set one up here one of these days (weeks?)<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/04/01 07:58 PM

so Bdog, is it your graduation ceremony, or are you one of the teachers, parents, etc...?<br><br>john<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/04/01 08:08 PM

I'm a High School student graduating this Friday! Yea!!!! (13 years!!!!!!)<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/04/01 09:24 PM

Congratulations. Hope you have a great party <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/05/01 05:51 AM

ditto... congratulations Bdog, and best wishes... have a great week.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Application Switcher... - 06/17/01 08:07 PM

anyone know why "application switcher" would crash on my machine consitently with "Type 2" errors?<br><br>damn apple software....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Application Switcher... - 06/17/01 11:02 PM

Yep, trash your App Switcher prefs, and if that doesn't help, kill your Finder and System prefs, and if thats no help, zap the PRAM. That'll fix it :)<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>
Posted by: Alex

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 06/18/01 10:29 PM

Back to the topic at hand... just download Prestissimo and you will have full control over the Application Switcher. It's pretty sweeeeet!<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: my 2 cents on Application Switching... - 08/23/01 04:04 PM

Yup, I've used Prestissimo too. It also allows you to "hack" the scroll bars on you Mac pretty instantly too (I put double arrows at both ends of my scroll bars). <br><br>BTW, If I remember the readme correctly (been using it since 8.6 came out), it makes it's modifications through AppleScripting. So I'm not so sure the hacks require ResEdit, just a throrough knowledge of the AppleScript dicitonary terms.<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... - 08/25/01 07:10 AM

I'd have to say that I like/use the app switcher... it has lots of hidden features and those make it usable. <br><br>-- j o n k n e e --<br><br>

Re: Application Switcher... - 08/25/01 08:05 AM

none of those solutions worked... App switcher still manages to die/go away on it's own after about 15 minutes of use, and then after reactivating it a few times it'll crash... wonder if it's the App/extension itself...<br><br>oh well.. PowerSwitcher workd well too.<br><br>***<br>"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"<br> --Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>