Question for Applescript master Nutty...

Posted by: DaddyMac

Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/04/03 01:54 PM

Any way to have Classic launch about 2-3 minutes after OSX boots up?<br><br>There's a Font Agent Pro extension that needs to load with Classic to be able to auto-activate fonts in Quark 4, but it gives me an error if it loads BEFORE the actual Font Agent app- which never seems to load before Classic does...<br><br>I just want to give FAP time to load up completely, THEN launch Classic automatically...<br><br>Thoughts?<br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/04/03 02:31 PM

I don't know about 2-3 minutes, but you can have classic run after OS X boots. Check the Classic panel, for auto start.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/04/03 02:56 PM

That's his problem. The auto boot of Classic starts before FAP is finished loading the db (which needs to happen before Classic).<br><br>DM, you have tried messing with the bootup order in the Login Items prefs pane? My guess is you tried—it looks to me that booting into classic is not part of the login items window even if it's automatic. But I think I've got you covered:<br><br>1. Go to:<br>/System/Library/CoreServices/Classic Startup<br><br>2. Open Login Items prefs pane<br>3. Drag Classic Startup into the Login Items pane at the bottom of the list<br>4. Reboot and cross you fingers to see if it works<br><br>I just tried adding it and it allowed me to do so. I just wasn't willing to reboot for ya. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/04/03 03:58 PM

I gotta ask ya... "what the heck are you shutting down/restarting your Mac for?" I haven't shut my machine off in months. <br><br><br>[color:green]Trying to straddle the fence leaves you with nothing but sore balls.</font color=green>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/04/03 04:10 PM

sure<br><br>--begin script<br>on run<br> delay 120 --(this is 2 minutes in seconds)<br> tell application "Classic Startup"<br> activate<br> end tell<br>end run<br><br>--end script<br><br>Make this an app and set it up in your login items<br>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/04/03 09:20 PM

It's at work..<br><br>Sometimes I just gots to restart...okay?!!<br><br>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 08:18 AM

Thanks again, nutty- that worked great- I pulled it down to about 12 seconds, which is actually all I needed...<br><br>What could I put in there to hide the Classic window while it's starting?<br><br>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 08:43 AM

try this<br><br>set the visible of process "Classic Startup" to false<br><br><br>that may do it. I never use classic so it may be the wrong syntax.<br><br>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 10:41 AM

hee hee, if you used my method I gave you earlier, you could just check the "hide" button in the Login Items panel. If 12 seconds is all you need, the method I gave should be enough time.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 11:03 AM

but then he and others wouldnt have leaned anything on how to activate apps on a timer. Also he asked for applescript.<br><br>:)<br><br>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 12:20 PM

No, that wouldn't work- all that would be hidden is the actual script, not the Classic window.<br><br>Believe me, I tried..<br><br>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 12:27 PM

No no. Read the post where I said to actually put Classic Starter in the prefs pane, not the script that calls Classic Starter. Then you could check "hide" and have it work.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 12:30 PM

Yes, but then like Nutty said it wouldn't have been on a delay. I've put it last in the order of startup items, and FAP still doesn't load up fast enough to beat that auto-activation extension in Classic...<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 12:39 PM

there used to be an option to hide the Classic window in one of the older versions of OS X. From what I read, it didn't work.<br>at least you can hide the Classic (desktop) part of the window, but you will still have the progress bar part visible.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: Question for Applescript master Nutty... - 09/05/03 02:01 PM

Ah. I guess you have fewer login items than I do. If I put it last, it would take a while before it got to it.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>