Okay, Dreamweaver experts...

Posted by: squareman

Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/07/03 09:01 PM

Need your Dreamweaver expertise. I use DW to manage my site assets. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the synchronizing to work right because DW doesn't recognize the right time on my Web server. My server is somewhere back East so it has a different time zone than my Western Mac. I haven't been able to figure out how to compensate/correct for the time difference. Is there a way to do this?<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 04:49 PM

Damn, man. What is it? Do I offend, or do I just ask the tough questions? <br><br>Between this and the MPEG Muxing question (and a while back the "format for" printing question), I've gone with a .000 batting average.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 04:52 PM

Let me check my Dreamweaver book. I'm still trying to learn it myself.<br><br><br>My stuff for sale

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 04:53 PM

Thanks. The Help Viewer files were of no use. And in the Remote Server setup, there's nowhere I see to set the time difference (either in relation to my computer or to GMT).<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 05:31 PM

I just set my server to EST, which is the time zone I'm in.<br><br>I hated trying to do the mental conversion of Central time to EST.<br><br>[color:blue]Quitters never win, winners<br> never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.</font color=blue>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 05:34 PM

Alright, best I can tell, it is actually working. It's just its behavior as an interface is crap. When I upload a file to my server through Check In using Dreamweaver (even if I had just created it), it updates the modification date of the local file to that of the server (which means, I now have local files created tomorrow). WHAT?! That's screwy. I wish it would do it the other way around at least (modify the date on the server to reflect my local time). It's far more likely that I'm going to also synchronize files between two local directories as well. If DW is changing the local date, then my local synchs and backups go to hell. Not good, not good at all. <br><br>Also means that if I create a GIF (for example) and I upload via "put" or "check in" it will get a new mod date on my local machine. Then if I happen to resave the GIF in the next several hours with a quick update locally, DW is still going to see that one on the server as being newer because my new local file will have an "older" relative modification date. Grrr. Sucks.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 05:35 PM

So even though my server at Verio is back east somewhere (though it seems to be set to GMT +0), I can change it? Any clue how I'd do that?<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 05:49 PM

assuming you can SSH into your server, RedHat 7.3 linux the command is<br><br>/usr/sbin/timeconfig<br><br>brings up an easy to use tool to change the time zone on a server<br><br><br><br>[color:blue]Quitters never win, winners<br> never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.</font color=blue>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 07:45 PM

Are you the only one working on the files?<br><br>If so, I don't see the point of using the 'check in' feature...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 09:06 PM

The problem isn't with check-in or even put per se; it's the synchronization feature--if the time code isn't right, it does weird things as described.<br><br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 09:30 PM

sure 'nough indeedie, they have my server's time zone set to GMT. See for yourself: http://www.squarepair.com/test.shtml. <br><br>The server It's running on is Unix and BSD so I'll have to figure out where I can change it if at all. As usual, Verio's support pages are of little use. I checked for your timeconfig command and didn't see it.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 09:42 PM

Couldn't find timeconfig, but I did see something called timed and timedc on the server. Read the manuals for those and those led to gettimeofday and settimeofday commands. I've got those printing right now and will read them tonight.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/08/03 09:45 PM

found this on the web, maybe it will help<br><br>http://www.digitaldaze.com/servers/support/help/timezone.html<br><br>[color:blue]Quitters never win, winners<br> never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.</font color=blue>

Re: Okay, Dreamweaver experts... - 07/09/03 01:22 AM

Yeah, can't do that. I found the same set of instructions on Verio. But those are for VPS and MPS hosting. I have something called signature hosting for which there are no support pages (legacy of being a best.com customer who go bought by hiway who got bought by Verio who got bought by NTT). So I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Problem is that I have neither a ~/usr/ nor a ~/.cshrc as referenced in those instructions (SSH tells me so). I"m still looking.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>