DreamWeaver MX Question

Posted by: greenme1

DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/16/03 03:06 AM

On my site there are 4 frames and when you resize the window (horizontally) the middle and top frames expand. Is there a way to have all of the frames static in size and have a background that would get bigger instead, and how would you do that? I would like an effect similar to the MM front page.<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/16/03 06:35 AM

to keep the frames the same size and have it centered you need 3 frames<br><br>left | center | right<br><br>set the center frame to 600 pixels in width, and set the left and right one to 50% <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/16/03 07:51 AM

I would go easy on the frames if I were you...any more than two and you're asking for problems..<br><br>Try a frameless solution to your problem if it's possible...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/16/03 11:29 AM

I would rather have a bloated, barley functioning, and slow loading website. That way i can keep the anticipation up while it's loading or when there trying to navigate my site but just can't get there because of the horrible layout. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/16/03 11:51 AM

So you have plans to work for Microsoft at some point, eh?<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/16/03 12:27 PM

When i grow up i wanna be a sales person for Microsoft! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: iraszl

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 12:46 AM

You should rather use tables rather than frames for several reasons:<br>1. Frames load slower<br>2. Frames need one separate html and a main html, so it's complex<br>3. Frames can't be read by search engines properly<br>4. Some browsers have problems displaying frames<br><br>I used to prefer frames, but since I started using tables, I'd never go back unless there is really no other way to solve a layout.<br><br>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 03:10 AM

Ok, I guess I'll take the Pro's advice (that includes you DM). <br><br>Here is the 4th version of my site, this time using tables instead of frames:<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/greenme1/Alex's Page v4/index.html<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 03:20 AM

So far the only major problems are the sporadic change in visited link colors, and an overall lack of content. But i plan to fix both of them in the near future. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 06:57 AM

Oh sure, you listen to Ivan when he tells you 'no frames', but me you choose to mock, huh?<br><br><br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 08:19 AM

While I agree with you about using tables instead of frames, the points you list are all invalid.<br><br>1. Frames load no slower than a single HTML document as long as you don't have giant graphics on them.<br><br>2. Having 2 HTML pages load into frames is hardly considered complex anymore.<br><br>3. Frames CAN be read by search engines - that problem went away years ago.<br><br>4. The only browsers that have problems with frames are version 4 browsers or lower which are so old that anyone using them isn't worth catering to anymore.<br><br>There are of course exceptions to every rule, but the points you've listed are quite outdated. Go ahead an use frames - they aren't the devils work anymore - they're just a sign to a pro that you took the easy way out! <br><br>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 08:25 AM

Why not make your email address clickable? The "About Me" at the bottom of the page isn't clickable. Copyright 2038--you know, RIAA is gonna get on your case for mocking copyright <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 08:33 AM

they're just a sign to a pro that you took the easy way out!<br><br>And to me, it's just that they never quite achieve the effect that you need. They always look different in every browser, and more often than not you get the ugly scroll bars that force you to not only go up and down in a frame, but side to side....that's just hideous.<br><br>Unless, of course, you intended for the user to scroll side to side.<br><br>Bottom line- I never liked em'- they just look tacky.<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 08:47 AM

I've used them (sparingly) in the past without problems, but the way I used them probably had a lot to do with the fact that they work. If you're trying to line things up and substitute for the fact that you don't know how to use tables, then yeah, they're gonna leave you in bad shape.<br><br>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 10:03 AM

I agree with MG, most of these points are becoming obsolete. These days there is only one thing that definitely stands for tables, and it's the programmability, but I didn't mention that since you're not using ASP or PHP. If you have dynamic content, you'd rather stay with tables, frames would be very inconvenient to program.<br><br>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 10:06 AM

Your site's cool. It has a certain rebelious feel to it.<br><br>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 10:11 AM

And with ImageReady making it so easy to produce exact table structures, why wouldn't you just learn that program & combine that with BBEdit or something else?<br><br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 01:06 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Why not make your email address clickable?<p><hr></blockquote><p>That would make it way to easy to email me, if they really want to email me they have to use the good old copy & paste method! <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The "About Me" at the bottom of the page isn't clickable.<p><hr></blockquote><p>When i was making the link i think i accidentally erased the URL and instead it became "#"... i just had copy and paste (my favorite technique) that link to all of the pages. I only fixed the ones on the top so far so i will have to go back for the bottom ones.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>copyright 2038--you know, RIAA is gonna get on your case for mocking copyright <p><hr></blockquote><p>, that's my defense. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 01:28 PM

By the way, to avoid getting spammed (or maybe you like it? ), I would display your email address in some other manner...<br><br>Maybe nameNOSPAM@mac.com..?<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 01:36 PM

Thanks for the tip. Does asammak -AT- macmail.com work? <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 01:54 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 02:08 PM

Well for all i know they might be able to read -at- and automatically make it @ so they can SPAM you. <br><br>....but then again that is "for all i know"..... <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/17/03 03:49 PM

Did a few updates, links should be the same color and my email is "asammak-AT-macmail.com".<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/18/03 12:05 AM

the best way to avoid spam is not to display the email address at all, but create an email form, so people can send you a message from the browser without opening their mail app. but than I'm not sure if php works on .mac.<br><br>

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/18/03 01:44 AM

I'm thinking simple for now, and a little spam won't hurt me. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/18/03 07:18 AM

A little spam can hurt you!<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/18/03 07:56 AM

Why would you want to block SPAM when they send you all of those nice Korean emails? <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/18/03 07:59 AM

I've been taking lessons in Korean. I read the articles. Just the articles. <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: DreamWeaver MX Question - 06/18/03 08:06 AM

Suuuree ya do! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "