Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway

Posted by: hayesk

Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/08/03 10:19 AM

http://www.softpress.com<br>Finally, a consumer level WYSIWYG HTML editor. $79! Sold!! The old Freeway, DreamWeaver, and GoLive were just too expensive, especially in Canadian dollars. (~1.5x US dollars)<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/08/03 10:54 AM

I've owned Freeway for a few months now and am really happy with the results. My web site was up and running in a couple of weeks after receiving Freeway in the mail. I also may be eligible for the free upgrade to Freeway Pro. <br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/20/03 01:30 PM

I love Freeway! I've used it since version 1.0. I can't say enough about what a great program it is. I've built dozens of sites with it from low-end to super high-end and it has always handled whatever I've thrown at it. Customer service is excellent too. Since I purchased version 1.0 back in '97 this current "pro" upgrade has been the only one I've had to pay for and they've had 3-4 major upgrades since v1. Softpress is how a software company should be run. <br><br>Now if Safari handled frames right I would be in hog-heaven. (Nothing to do with Freeway it just frustrates me that Safari doesn't handle frames correctly. I like doing things with frames.)<br><br>"Research is what i'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." <br>-- Wernher von Braun
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/20/03 06:20 PM

I haven't noticed any problems with frames using Safari. Can you point out a site that Safari messes up the frames (and tell me what's wrong if it's not obvious).<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: squareman

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 01:35 AM

Safari doesn't handle any frames correctly in that it can't print an entire frameset properly without cropping it as seen on screen (rather than printing out the entire contents of the frames). I.E. has it's own problems in that it can't print anything more than one frame at a time on the Mac (where it CAN print a frame set on the PC). Netscape has always been able to print individual frames or entire framesets.<br><br>Also, in Safari, it doesn't properly recognize command+back arrow or command+forward arrow when navigating through the history. I use a multi-button mouse and really notice when I'm in frames in Safari, because I have to manually hit the forward and back buttons in the interface to navigate forward and back insead of using the keyboard or the mouse buttons.<br><br>

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 06:07 AM

Now that you mention it, that printing bug is quite annoying. I've noticed it for quite a while. I think my workaround was to print the page to PDF first, then send it to the printer.<br><br>The Command "+" or Command "-" works with frames, but you have to click on the page in the frame you want to navigate from first. I think it's kind of silly, but that's how it works.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 09:22 AM

My website's frames are cut off...only in Safari.<br>http://homepage.mac.com/ezyrider/maonline/<br><br>This site too. Safari leaves a white space in between the frames. Although I built both sites in Freeway, I don't think Freeway is the culprit because I've seen Safari do this with several other framed sites. <br><br>http://www.hopeadoption.org/<br><br>I'm on my boss' PB in OS 9 w/IE right now because of a meeting in my office so I don't remember the other sites off the top of my head. But I see the white space in frames a lot only in Safari.<br><br><br>"Research is what i'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." <br>-- Wernher von Braun

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 09:56 AM

I'm not seeing any frames being cut off in Safari on your .mac page...<br><br><br><br>As far as the other page goes. First of all, there is a "hidden" frame in the top left corner (just below the top frame that goes all the way across) that contains a file named "FILLER/black.html". The frame size is set to zero, so it shouldn't even be there to begin with.<br><br>Then, if you look at the code, it's wrong. The syntax isn't correct with some of the tags, because I open it in GoLive and the frame borders are clearly set to a default number (6) and not hidden. When I adjusted them to not show and saved it, then viewed in Safari, they looked just fine.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: squareman

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 10:42 AM

It's not silly, it's a bug (or a shortcoming). It should nav forward or back without having to click in a particular frame. Otherwise, what's the point of keyboard shortcuts?<br><br>

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 11:55 AM

Wow! Thanks Giz! The frame-thing started with the last Safari update(previously I had no problem with this)...I blamed it on Safari...maybe it was user error on my part. I did rebuild the site recently and I was in a hurry...and I 've been too busy with real work to go back and tweak things. Thanks for pointing out the code problems. I'll tweak it this weekend.<br><br>"Research is what i'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." <br>-- Wernher von Braun

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 12:06 PM

OK...I'm officially the forum idiot...I had a certain style sheet selected in my Safari Advanced prefs instead of None...and that is why my frames looked funny (bangs head on desk). Now my site looks normal...however I'm very greatful you pointed out the coding problems I will fix that. <br><br>"Research is what i'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." <br>-- Wernher von Braun

Re: Woo hoo! New consumer Freeway - 05/21/03 02:36 PM

No problem. I wouldn't have really noticed that extra frame by viewing the code, but when I looked at it in GoLive it stood out like a sore thumb.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.