Looking for a cheap/free version of REALBasic

Posted by: GrantKirk

Looking for a cheap/free version of REALBasic - 06/08/09 12:23 PM

I teach Computing in High School and until very recently have been using Pascal to teach the fundamentals of programming. Whilst that is OK for the basics when it comes to creating a GUI that looks professional we struggle. I was hoping to use something like REALBasic however the school can't afford the licences so does anyone know if there is an equivalent object oriented language which lets you create applications that look great whilst being cheap? Or is it possible to get REALBasic for less than the Personal edition - 55 per licence? We're running 10.11.4 on intel iMacs.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Looking for a cheap/free version of REALBasic - 06/09/09 10:25 AM

Xcode is free and supports a wide range of languages.

Re: Looking for a cheap/free version of REALBasic - 06/09/09 12:22 PM

Thanks for that - we do use Xcode at the moment. We run a version of Pascal within it. Is there a language I can use in a similar way which gives a better GUI?
Posted by: zwei

Re: Looking for a cheap/free version of REALBasic - 06/09/09 08:21 PM

If you create a new application project you can choose from several different types. I only mess with AppleScript at the moment, but Xcode lets you add a Cocoa GUI very easily. Interface BUilder is all you need.

You can also look into Standard Cocoa (obj-c), Cocoa Python, or Cocoa Ruby

Re: Looking for a cheap/free version of REALBasic - 06/10/09 02:08 AM

Thanks for the advice - I've had a quick look at some of the other options. There's more than I realised. Will have a look at Cocoa and see how I get on. Cheers.