Java nightmare

Posted by: padmavyuha

Java nightmare - 10/15/08 09:56 AM

I think this is happening since the last java update, and others seem to be having similar tsuris - suddenly, certain java-based apps (or firefox plugins) put the OS into infinite loop. If I hit cmd-opt-Esc the Force Quit panel eventually comes up, but there's some process repeating itself that takes 10 seconds to come round, so every mouse click has a 10 second (or multiple thereof) delay before I can get the next one.<br><br>Bloody frustrating, and none of the workarounds posted make any difference so far. I hope Apple sort this out soon - I'm tired of thinking 'well there's nothing running now that's going to set it off' and then clicking on a link to a page that happens to have something on it that sets this off.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Java nightmare - 10/15/08 11:58 AM

I have been having that problem with Firefox for a few months, Safari doesn't do it. Is it java or Firefox is the question.<br><br>Don't know what the answer is other than don't use Firefox.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Java nightmare - 10/15/08 12:20 PM

Having no problems with either the JAVA update or FF.<br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Java nightmare - 10/15/08 01:00 PM

Well, I am spitting mad!<br><br>I'm so mad I don't want to take it anymore!<br><br>My favorite site JigZone was wrecked by something. None of my browsers will let me choose a large number of puzzle pieces and work on a puzzle. It will crash eventually before the puzzle is finished. A real bummer for me. I've been doing puzzles there for more years than I have fingers on my hands <br><br>I can choose 40 or 60 pieces, but that is no challenge. I hope they fix it soon. All browsers crash eventually using that site.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Java nightmare - 10/15/08 01:33 PM

I'm assuming java rather than firefox because it's happening with another java app I'm using - it crashes while loading in the GUI modules. Same error messages in console as I got with certain videos in firefox.<br><br>I haven't tried Safari, but I will - just for laffs.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Java nightmare - 10/15/08 03:08 PM

Along with Security updates, NEVER, EVER, EVER install Java updates. They all suck, and cause more issues than they fix.<br><br>

Re: Java nightmare - 10/15/08 11:31 PM

I just switched back to using Safari (well, Webkit actually) to see if that works better - and I'd forgotten how much sharper text is in Safari compared to Firefox. Strange. Meanwhile, I've just installed the FF 3.1 beta.Let's see what happens...<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: Java nightmare - 10/16/08 12:16 AM

Fool that I am, I didn't correleate this problem with installing an update to Office 2008 - and of course, it's ATSServer fatal errors that are hanging up the machine. My first course of action was to zip and remove the /Library/Fonts/Microsoft folder, clear caches and restart, but still not fixed. There are no font duplicates, but I'm still stuck. Any suggestions? Does MS Office install fonts anywhere else?<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: SacredBovine

Re: Java nightmare - 10/16/08 01:23 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'd forgotten how much sharper text is in Safari compared to Firefox<p><hr></blockquote><p>Not seeing that here (10.5.5). Can't see any difference in sharpness but the color renders differently.<br><br>

Re: Java nightmare - 10/16/08 01:27 AM

I don't know why Webkit appears sharper - may be something to do with how I have antialiasing set up.<br><br>Meanwhile, the only way I can access my online banking is to use firefox, because I need the FlashBlock extension istalled just to get past the home page :(<br><br>I think it's time for a complete reinstall, especially given that I'm going to install a new HDD in my MBP in the next week (wish me luck with all them tiny screws).<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: SacredBovine

Re: Java nightmare - 10/16/08 01:32 AM

<br><br>

Re: Java nightmare - 10/19/08 12:16 AM

...and with a little more thought, I'd have realised sooner that the java nightmare is in fact a flash nightmare. The java apps I was failing to get launched have flash content on their front page, and the other apps and browser content all have flash in common. I uninstalled flash 10 and the dictionary is now working again. I installed flash 9 and things are now a bit flaky again. Bit of a mystery. I'm getting a new line in the console every second while the dictionary is running now, which wasn't happening before, and if I allow flash content to play in the browser, it crashes again. And if I try to open the dictionary's Help PDF, it crashes again (this may be the recognised 'problem with fonts in PDFs' issue).<br><br>I'm still going for a full reinstall when my new HDD arrives. And I'm about to enter the universe of eSata - my external HDD is too small for my new drive (gone up to 320Gb because I'm starting to write more music and do stop-frame animation work on the mac), so I've bought a 4-way big drive to replace it - now I can do my backups over eSata, but I can still boot from that drive using FW800.<br><br>This is kind of all meant for distraction/comfort too - my girlfriend just broke up with me a month before we were due to move to the Scottish highlands to live together. At least I'm not buying any sports cars or motorbikes. Though if a new iMac comes out with them fancy new screens...<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Java nightmare - 10/19/08 03:57 AM

It's the same realization I came to yesterday. I was playing with browser preferences because some sites seemed 'way better than others, and finally figured out flash animations were causing the problem. I'm not sure yet how that ties into my iMac's three minute plus boot-up time, but it's sure helped while browsing.<br><br>Good luck figuring out the rest. I'm still hoping for an update of some sort to fix it.<br><br>Good luck with your love life, too. I'm a lucky man, married to a great woman for 30 years.<br><br>[b][color:green]Stumpy</font color=green>[b]
Posted by: SteveS

Re: Java nightmare - 10/27/08 06:27 AM

"Along with Security updates, NEVER, EVER, EVER install Java updates. They all suck, and cause more issues than they fix."<br><br>Hopefully, few here would actually take you serious enough to heed your advice. Your advice was not only ignorant but equally irresponsible, particularly with regard to security updates.<br><br>Updating and/or installing anything on a stable machine has the potential to make it unstable in some regard. That doesn't mean you should never install new software or install updates. It means you should do so with caution. Most people have access to more than one machine. Install the updates on a less critical machine first and observe the operation of that machine for a while. If you don't have access to a test machine, then at least wait a while for reports to come out with issues associated with the update. However, once you've taken the basic precautions, you should go ahead with the updates. Once vulnerabilities are published, unpatched systems are all potential targets for malware.<br><br><br>