maintenance scripts

Posted by: lanovami

maintenance scripts - 12/25/06 03:34 PM

Merry Christmas one and all!<br><br>Hey, anyone use 3rd party software to run Apple's maintenance scripts? I used to use MacJanitor but it hasn't (yet?) been updated for Intel. It seems to work, but it is hard to tell if it's really doing it's job or not. What do you guys use? Cocktail? Simple is fine with me as long as it does the job consistently.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/25/06 03:37 PM

If you don't want to pay for Cocktail, you can use Onyx . . . still freeware.<br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!
Posted by: steveg

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/25/06 03:41 PM

Why not just leave the Mac on so the scripts will run automatically in the wee hours? Y'know... like when Chanuklause comes (speaking of Merry Xmas )<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/25/06 10:07 PM

If you run Tiger it will run the scripts automatically and if the machine is sleeping or off when they are supposed to run it runs them shortly after the machine wakes back up or starts back up.<br><br>

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 03:16 AM

Is that new in Tiger? I always thought that if you sleep or shut down the machine overnight, you lose the script window (still on 10.3.9 here), which is why you'd want a maintenance app.<br><br>

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 07:34 AM

Actually I lied. They started that in 10.4.2.<br><br>Get with the times dude. Who does manual maintenance scripts anymore, sheesh. <br><br>BTW, Happy New Year to ya' big guy. <br><br>

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 08:05 AM

Dat's why my ma-chine she rons 24/7, amigo. I don't need no steenkin' el-script-os. <br><br>And a Happy New Year on youse, too!<br><br>

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 03:56 PM

How can I tell if my machine is running my scripts without prompting from me? I like to see proof (maybe that comes from living just north of Missouri, the show me state, for too many years.)<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 04:07 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>How can I tell if my machine is running my scripts without prompting from me? I like to see proof<p><hr></blockquote><p>Cuz' I said it does. I never lie and I'm always right. <br><br>From the Go menu go to the folder /var/log/<br><br>Near the bottom of this link explains more. <br><br>

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 04:22 PM

The scripts run automatically btwn 3 and 5AM daily. It's an integral function of the OS. I suppose you could leave a plate of silicon cookies next to the Mac some night and see if they're there in the morning. <br><br>BTW, you can sleep the display. Just not the HD (unless you have El Tigre, I guess).<br><br>

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 06:17 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>BTW, you can sleep the display. Just not the HD (unless you have El Tigre<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ahhh, I've raised you well grasshopper.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/26/06 08:31 PM

I use Cocktail (It does a lot more than just run the cron scripts) but, here is one that was just updated today.<br><br>

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/27/06 02:11 AM

Thanks. I will probably look into Onyx. I guess I like to be in control of my Mac's maintenance. Like checking the gaps in the spark plugs for one's car I guess (I haven't owned a car in years come to think of it...)<br><br>I may try the cookie trick, Steve, just for the hades of it. <br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/27/06 06:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I guess I like to be in control of my Mac's maintenance.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You're putting way too much stock in the worth of log rotation, unless you have some serious problem causing the logs to balloon. In which case that needs to be addressed instead. I use Tiger Cache Cleaner once every few months to purge my caches, and just let the logs fall where they may. It's what I instruct all my customers to do also. Tiger's schedule is plenty. Boot into Safe Boot mode every once in a while to let Disk Utility run too if you wish.<br><br>my .02. Well I actually charge more than that to instruct my customers on proper Mac maintenance. <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/27/06 09:35 AM

"my .02."<br><br>I was gonna say; that was a bargain! <br><br>- alec -

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/27/06 10:51 AM

It's the Christmas season, I feel charitable. <br><br>Actually, trying to take the week off but I've had two service calls so far, legacy equipment, two quickies luckily. A blown motor control board on a film processor yesterday and a knife guide on an Itek Silver Master camera this AM. Maybe the rest of the week will be good to me.<br><br>Happy New Year to ya' big guy. <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/27/06 02:10 PM

I expected to have these few days off, but had a short service call today and another booked for Friday. Oh well; it's not like I can't use the money! <br><br>Itek camera, eh? I used quite a few of those during my 25 years in the print industry... when "they" built equipment to last.<br><br>And Happy New Year to you!!! <br><br>- alec -

Re: maintenance scripts - 12/27/06 10:41 PM

"You're putting way too much stock in the worth of log rotation,"<br><br>Yeah, well, that's cuz I don't have a car to check the spark plug gaps more than I need to.<br><br><br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle