Domain registration

Posted by: RubenC

Domain registration - 01/14/03 10:52 AM

My domain name registration is soon to expire unless I renew, and currently I'm with "Verisign and/or Network Solutions". They want to charge $25. per year for 3 years. Anybody know of a better deal out there?<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:11 AM

i'm using namezero.com<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:19 AM

I'm using godaddy.com. They have some good prices and a special on .us thru the end of this month.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:24 AM

Whatever you do, do it before it expires, cause once it does, it's a royal pain in the arse to get it back!<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:25 AM

Thanks iraszl, I checked with namezero, but they don't transfer existing domain names and referred me to "mydomain.com". I'm looking into it.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:26 AM

That's what I figured, I have until March, but I like to get a jump on things when I can.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:31 AM

Godaddy.com looks good too, at least I have some names to follow up on. Thanks guys for the help.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:31 AM

I just renewed through verisign (after it expired) and they were as helpful as they could be. I like the fact that with them, I have full control over my domain name. When I was with Valueweb as my web host, they registered my domain, and when I switched to another host, they never released my domain, so it was a real pain in the neck getting my domain name to point to the servers at my new web host.<br><br>Now, I can tell it to point to any web host I want, including my own computer's IP address (only for folks with a static IP address - which I don't have, but I tried it anyway).<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: steveg

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 11:44 AM

That's not a bad offer, but check out NameSecure just for jolies.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 12:03 PM

Thanks Steve will do.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 12:18 PM

http://verio.com/ here.. <br>Best of luck in your selection..<br><br><br>http://waleedsgallery.biz

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 12:29 PM

Thanks Waleed that site looks good too, I'll keep everyone posted.<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 12:43 PM

I use register.com - around the same prices, but you get DNS service included. I would check to make sure if the low priced registars have the same level of service as you current one.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/14/03 02:11 PM

Thanks JonnyCat, another top notch site, now I'm gonna have some homework for a while.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Domain registration - 01/15/03 06:59 AM

i use <a href="http://tigertech.net/">tigertech</a>. they do my webhosting and domain registration (in my name), but you can choose the domain registration only ($20 per year).<br><br>the nice thing about allowing them to host is that the 4.95 each month includes the domain registration fee each year. i am going well over the 20 MB limit and it is just costing me pennies more than the $4.95 (i think i paid $5.04 last month for 30 some MB, but don't quote me). i think i went over the 500 MB of data transfer one month and they didn't charge me anything extra, but just gave me a warning.<br><br>very responsive (i've had them for about 3 or 4 years now) and will do special things to accommodate me (e.g., i had some problems with a flash movie i made sending me the data via email and tigertech made a special mail server something or other for me to use (it's been a while, forgive me for forgetting -- it was only a problem when coming from a macintosh and tigertech was able to tell me what i needed to tell macromedia to help them improve their product, too).<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Domain registration - 01/15/03 10:58 AM

Thanks Sean, that is very helpful to know about your experiences with Tigertech's customer service. My plan is to get my site up and running in a couple of months or less and I will definitley be interacting alot with whom ever I end up with.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/16/03 05:08 AM

I'm using cheap domain for $8.75/year. And, it's a full service site.<br>http://www.cheap-domainregistration.com/<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/16/03 11:20 AM

Thanks Bambam, I was able to access a site through Cheap domain, and found 100 best web hosting which had links to the top ten web hosting sites. Now I can research some additional hosting sites and narrow down my choices.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Domain registration - 01/17/03 01:09 PM

How about sharing what that top 100 hosting sites URL? <br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/17/03 01:56 PM

Try this...<br><br><a href="http://100best-web-hosting.com/index.htm">100 Best</a><br><br><br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/17/03 01:59 PM

thanks<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/18/03 03:49 AM

Wow.. That's a great site, thanks Ruben..<br><br><br>http://waleedsgallery.biz

Re: Domain registration - 01/20/03 09:58 AM

Sure no problem, I think I will be going with iPowerWeb, they seem pretty reasonable and the key for me is that they are local in my area.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/20/03 11:48 AM

I use iPowerWeb and have been very happy with their price & service so far.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Domain registration - 01/20/03 11:56 AM

That sound great! Is your registrar still Verisign, or did you transfer your name as well?<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/20/03 04:19 PM

No, I kept my registrar with Verisign so that I have full control over it at all times. But, if you transfer the registrar to iPowerWeb, they will add a year of domain name registration to whatever is remaining already.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Domain registration - 01/21/03 09:36 AM

i've been using directnic.com for over 3 years without complaint. they charge only $15 per year registration and renewal, and only $50 for .tv domains. they have superb admin tools for the likes of domain parking, email forwarding, etc.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/21/03 09:59 AM

I couldn't get the the link you provided , but I managed to find them online. They look pretty good, I'm going to give iPowerWeb a try mainly due to the reviews they received and their locale being close to me.<br><br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/21/03 12:01 PM

I might do the switch to iPowerWeb too, they offer a much better package than the one I have now with my current host. I'm just going over the migration steps with them now..<br><br><br>http://waleedsgallery.biz

Re: Domain registration - 01/21/03 11:03 PM

people talking about iPowerWeb remind me of <a href="http://www.powweb.com">PowWeb.com</a>. Does anybody know anything about their reliability or customer service? They offer almost exactly what I get with Verio for 1/3 the cost. I've been eyeing them for a while but am always wary about the longevity of smaller, less-stable companies.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Domain registration - 01/22/03 02:06 PM

Wait, so iPowerWeb is your web host as well as the keeper of your domain name?<br><br>Ever have happen the nonsense that I'm going through with this DNS stuff the last few days?<br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/22/03 03:22 PM

Just registered with iPowerWeb.com for 2 years.. I was really stupid to signup with my current host.. The domain transfer should take a couple of days to finish.<br><br>Thank you all for saving me money <br><br><br>http://waleedsgallery.biz

Re: Domain registration - 01/22/03 05:35 PM

No. iPowerweb is my web host. My domain is registered through NetworkSolutions. Having my domain registered through NetworkSolutions, it allows me full control over the DNS setup. That way, if I switch web hosts, I can change the DNS numbers myself without all the trouble of trying to get a company I don't even have an account with anymore to transfer it for me.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Domain registration - 01/22/03 07:30 PM

I'm gonna look into this myself. I'm really cheesed off by what happened the last few days with my web site, and I think I'm getting ripped off as far as how much storage I'm getting for MORE than this iPowerweb costs...<br><br>My domain is with register.com, but I'm not sure I have control over the DNS setup...I'm going to look right now...<br><br>Hold on....<br><br>Yup, I do. I have the option of deleting the current DNS servers, and adding new ones...So I guess it would be pretty easy to make the switch. I just have to look into my current account with my web host NOW...<br><br>Hold on...<br><br>Hmmm...I'm only paying about $60 a month now, but only getting 40mb of space. Under iPowerweb, I'd be paying about $95 for the year for 400mb...<br><br>It's a good deal, but I was hoping maybe to get around 100-200mb for the price I'm paying now...<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: Domain registration - 01/23/03 05:55 AM

iPowerWeb ($6.95 per month for 2 year contract):<br>400MB Space<br>Up to 300 POP e-mail accounts<br>Web Mail Included<br>Shopping Cart Included<br>CGI-bin Included<br>My-SQL Included<br>Anonymous & Managed FTP Included<br><br><br>So far, they have been very helpful. Their tech-support has returned my calls and helped me with my DNS problems left over from Valueweb.net... iPowerWeb gets my vote.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Domain registration - 01/23/03 06:09 AM

Whoops, I meant $60 a YEAR.<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Domain registration - 01/11/10 05:38 AM

pulling up an old thread when there are more recent discussions about the topic just seems very spam-like from a poster with 1 post.

that being said, it's funny to see where we were back in 2003. i remember switching to iPowerweb based on Gizmo's recommendation. it was fine for a while, but it went downhill rather quickly. i now use bluehost for my domain registration and hosting needs. i keep a identical backup of all my class website stuff (e.g., Moodle, phpbb class discussions, Wordpress) on another backup domain using http://www.lunarpages.com/; however, i probably wouldn't go with lunarpages again if i was jumping in right now. bluehost has been just fine.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Domain registration - 01/11/10 05:47 AM

Yep, his registration info shows up at stopforumspam.com too, he's outta' here. Got it under control, keeping the forums safe from predators. grin
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Domain registration - 01/11/10 12:23 PM

UUUUUNNNNGGGG....
Topic... hungry... for bRAAIIINS!
Posted by: neil

Re: Domain registration - 03/06/10 10:38 AM

Good morning all,

Just thought you should know that MacTech has a deal with the parent company of GoDaddy to do http://mactechdomains.com . We've been doing this for many years now.

Lower prices than GoDaddy, but the same offerings. Their support is solid, and we have all of our domains registered there. Now, we believe that providing value is paramount with this, and obviously, at these prices we don't make money on domain registration. It's another service to our customers and readers.

There's bundle deals that put the domains at $1.99 each. Without the bundle they are $8.75. DNS, parking, and a slew of other services.

Having worked with other registrars to transfer domains to our account, I cannot imagine wanting to deal with any other domain that offers lesser service at a higher price, but I leave that to you.

http://www.mactechdomains.com/

Hope that helps.
Neil
Posted by: keymaker

Re: Domain registration - 03/06/10 11:05 AM

Hi Neil,

I have a particular domain name in mind for my upcoming Web site which I could be interested in registering with you guys... a search tells me that .com and .co.uk are taken and the nearest I can get to it is .org.uk. You say that 'org' is popular with charitable organisations... my question is can I use such a domain name with a commercial objective?

km
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Domain registration - 03/06/10 11:29 AM

There's no legal requirement attached to using .org or .org.uk domain names. They're 'intended' for non-profit-making organizations, but available for general use. I would say it just needs to be obvious on your website that you're a business. And obviously:

"If you are based in the UK and run a business web site to sell or promote your products or services then make sure that you are meeting your legal obligations.

Note that as long as your business is physically based in the UK then UK laws will usually apply - even if your web site is hosted in another country."
Posted by: keymaker

Re: Domain registration - 03/06/10 12:02 PM

Thanks, I gave up trying to register the domain because it didn't recognise my email address... what a joke, everyone else is using it. laugh

km