Webhosting?

Posted by: Trog

Webhosting? - 08/17/05 12:35 PM

I know, I could probably search for a dozen threads on this topic, but its also one that changes a lot.<br><br>So, recommendations on webhosts? Which ones are good and which ones are NOT, would all be helpful.<br><br>I know some of you have gone with iPowerweb in the past. Still good? <br><br>Thanks<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Webhosting? - 08/17/05 12:50 PM

iPowerweb has been berry berry good to me- no complaints apart from a few weeks when I was having random down times...apparently it was because they were switching my account from one server to another. <br><br>That was a few years back, no troubles since. $7.95 a month ($95.40 for the year)- great web tools included (photo gallery, wordpress blogging app, php forums, etc, etc...), free registration of domain names.<br><br>I also think they're up to 3gb of web space last I checked...at least according to the front page.<br><br>Well worth the money if you're like me - I happen to make use of a lot of the features- however if you're just looking to throw up some photo galleries, I'm sure Waleed or John could help you out with that...<br><br>

Re: Webhosting? - 08/17/05 03:48 PM

That's good to hear, thanks for the reply.<br><br>I'm not sure I like how things are set up at the college here in Las Vegas. Apparently they have had some pretty serious security problems (imagine that in Vegas) and there is no way to access my Mac(s) on campus from home, and I can't even set up websharing. In essence, ALL outgoing connections are blocked. It sucks.<br><br>I'm sure they have webspace I can use for my teaching, but not for personal reasons too. I've always just used an old powermac at the school as a webserver. It was awesome, free space, free super-fast bandwidth. Plus, there is nothing like having physical access to the machine holding your files. I miss it already, *sniff, sniff*<br><br>Maybe I'll try out iPowerweb. Thanks<br><br>

Re: Webhosting? - 08/17/05 09:22 PM

Can you use webdav instead of FTP for uploading? Can't see that anywhere on their site.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Webhosting? - 08/18/05 07:16 AM

I guess you can't- what's wrong with FTP?<br><br>

Re: Webhosting? - 08/18/05 08:30 AM

Nothing wrong with it, just prefer webdav.<br><br>
Posted by: adzoox

Re: Webhosting? - 08/19/05 06:30 PM

I like Yahoo - web access and FTP access - cheap reliable - easy to use<br><br>It also gets in to Yahoo searches easier - something that's a little harder to do nowadays.<br><br>I don't know what your planning for the site, but I would do what I do, Yahoo hosting of tghe main site and a blog to answer questions, allow comments, etc etc on Blogger - that way - you get instantly into google searches too.<br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Webhosting? - 08/19/05 11:36 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Nothing wrong with it, just prefer webdav.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You're wrong. Freak!<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Webhosting? - 08/22/05 02:18 AM

Save some money. Choose Dreamhost.com. I'll give you a special promo code.<br><br>Select 12 months hosting then entering the promo code "777". You'll only pay $0.77USD a month vs $9.95USD for 12 months. Still no setup fee. Several creativebits members tested it and it works.<br><br>They do offer webdav and it's a click of a button setup. They have everything that iPowerWeb and more.<br><br>You may want to mention creativebits.org as referrer, not that I get any money since you're taking the referral fees away with the promo code, but it's nice to see you as a referred account in my control panel. :)<br><br>Whatever you choose, good luck!<br><br>don't click! it's spam smile
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Webhosting? - 08/22/05 03:37 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You'll only pay $0.77USD a month vs $9.95USD for 12 months.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I could only find $7.95 a month hosting.<br><br>

Re: Webhosting? - 08/22/05 05:59 PM

Thanks iraszl, but the promotion has been closed.<br><br>For now I'm going with ix webhosting, its seems to have a lot of bang for the buck, and they offer an anytime moneyback guarantee if I don't like it.<br><br>I had first thought of iPowerweb, but since they haven't replied to either of the emails I've sent them I wasn't too excited about it.<br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Webhosting? - 08/22/05 06:03 PM

Have you checked out http://www.godaddy.com ? Not only can you register your domain with them pretty dang cheap, but also webhosting.<br><br>

Re: Webhosting? - 08/23/05 08:10 PM

Yeah, I saw that one, thanks. But, I actually get a lot more for the money with the plan I chose at ix.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Webhosting? - 08/24/05 06:56 AM

bluehost rocks!<br><br><br><br>--<br>nobody has been held accountable for the poor (mis)intelligence on iraq or how it was used to justify a war in which people have died. nobody!