suggestions with domain registration...

Posted by: Trog

suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 02:40 PM

A year ago I registered a domain with Yahoo. For about $30 I get the domain, URL forwarding and a POP mail account. Until about 2 months ago I had been perfectly happy with it, but the email has been terrible recently. About every other time Mail.app goes to check for new mail it cannot connect to the server. I've contacted the service dept. and they keep saying that they've fixed it, but it never makes a difference.<br><br>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on who else to use and can I transfer the domain name I have now without too much trouble?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 05:42 PM

I use iPowerWeb for my domain hosting. I transferred my domain and it took about 3 days before it was completely transferred over - although some people started seeing it after just one day. So far, iPowerweb has been great, and at $7.95 per month, it's been a pleasure so far. You get lots of space, transfer and options with the account like MySQL, FTP, browser-based email, cgi, shopping cart, and more.<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 06:30 PM

Thanks. It looks really nice, you get A LOT more than what I've been getting. However, its also about 3 times more than what I've been paying, and I'm not sure I would use most of that other stuff. Hmmmm.. decisions. Well, thanks for the advice.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 06:35 PM

Well, you get what you pay for...yahoo being on the low-end of what I would consider good webhosting. <br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 06:59 PM

Well, John said it so I won't repeat it... oh heck, I'll repeat it... "you get what you pay for!"<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 08:35 PM

Oh yeah sure, I understand. I definitely didn't mean it wasn't worth what it cost. All I'm talking about is the difference between service vs. features. Simple Yahoo has all the features I need, but lately the service just plain sucks.<br><br>So, if I 'get what I pay for' with something like iPowerWeb you get 200MB hosting, 150 Emails, SSL, FTP CGI....etc. Very nice, but all I'll ever use is URL forwarding and ONE email. If all that other stuff combined is $85/year, it would just be nice to have some sort of LITE package for less money but still quality service.<br><br>I dunno, I'm so lazy I'll probably just keeping complaining to Yahoo until they fix the dang thing <br><br>

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 09:58 PM

Arent there other "free/cheap" domain hosts out there like GeoCities used to be? What's that other nasty one that's still around? I forgot the name.<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/09/02 10:40 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What's that other nasty one that's still around? I forgot the name.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yahoo? <br><br>

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/10/02 06:22 AM

hehehe... no, its something else. I know that you can't link images to them from here because it takes you to a generic page instead.<br><br>Oh, I thought of another one. CJB.net. Is that something like what you are looking for?<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/10/02 08:56 AM

Hey, thanks a lot for the help. I've actually decided to try the web hosting company right below that one on the same link called, Tera-byte. It looks like a good deal. <br><br>By the way, there is a graphics artist with some samples at SpyMac called MacGizmo. No relation is there?<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/10/02 09:28 AM

BTW. I've registered my domain for like 15USD/year, which is an OK price, but I've heard that some dudes register for like 7USD/year. Is that real and how come there are such different prices for the same service. Or is it the same?<br><br>

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/10/02 10:11 AM

Um... guilty as charged... hey, I had some time to kill!!! <br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/10/02 10:32 AM

Well, I don't know, you're obviously not asking the right person here (ha ha).<br><br>I know that when I first registered a domain with Yahoo it was $12/year for just the domain, but when I registered with this Tera-byte.com today it was $10/year. I have no idea why.<br><br>

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/10/02 10:33 AM

Nice work though, Gizmo! <br>I didn't think it looked like your stuff. At least, it didn't look to me like the kind of things you post around here.<br><br>

Re: suggestions with domain registration... - 12/10/02 05:39 PM

Yeah... I posted them here a few weeks ago.<br><br><br>Visit me here!