How to get movies on my site

Posted by: steveg

How to get movies on my site - 02/25/05 03:02 PM

Showing my web authoring deficiencies here...<br><br>Using Pagemill (yeah yeah, go ahead and snicker) for my site. I've had my reel on my iDisk, and have a link on my site (stored on Adelphia's server) to get there. But now I'm trying to embed the .mov files on certain pages and store everything on one server. The movies play in the Pagemill preview, and everything is stored on the same server. But when I launch those particular pages in a browser, all I get is a broken QT icon. <br><br>Any suggestions?<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/25/05 03:37 PM

Has to be a linkage problem. Can you look at the souce and tell where pagemill is getting the movies? It may be pulling them from /steve/idisk/etc., which won't show up online. You need it to be http://homepage.mac.com/steveg/.Movies/mystuff.mov.<br><br>

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/25/05 03:55 PM

Not using iDisk at all. The .mov's are stored in the same folder as all the pages and other images for the site on the Adelphia server. And the linkage is supposed to be created automatically when the file is placed on the page in Pagemill. If it plays in the preview, it should play on the web.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/25/05 06:34 PM

Are you "saving for web"? Movies saved with a resource fork (i.e. not for web) will not play over the Internet. It's also referred to as "flattening" the movie. If they are old movie files, that is likely.<br><br><br>

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/26/05 04:46 AM

These are older files. The bigger versions (from 6-12 MB) play ok as iDisk movies. It's when I save them down to smaller files (in QT Pro) to embed in a web page that I'm having the problem. Maybe I should just have the originals (on 3/4" tape) remade for web play.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/26/05 06:35 AM

Don't have them redone. Just use this:<br><br>http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24732<br><br>Note, it doesn't recompress so there's no quality loss. It just rearranges the data.<br><br><br>

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/26/05 09:41 AM

Thanks, but that doesn't work either. Same broken icon.<br><br>I have 3 TV spots: 2 @ 12MB and 1 @ 6MB. Too big for my Adelphia web server space, which is why they're stored on my iDisk. And they play as they should when linked to from my site. But that's an awkward solution. So I imported them into iMovie and then saved for web, which brought the 6MB file down to 376K, for example, and placed the clip on a page on my site. Still no luck, so I tried Lillipot on that same file, and remade the page. Still the broken icon. <br><br>I give up! <br><br>

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/26/05 10:14 AM

There has to be a reason....<br><br><br><br>

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/26/05 10:49 AM

I KNEW you'd have the answer! <br><br>

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/26/05 01:07 PM

See....THAT's your problem! <br><br>

Figured it out. - 02/27/05 10:16 AM

Had the QT clips in the wrong folder. After placing the clips on the pages, I moved them into a different folder for uploading. I should have moved the clips and then placed them on the pages. DOH! <br><br>

Re: Figured it out. - 02/27/05 12:10 PM

Operator error....just like we all thought! <br><br>

Re: Figured it out. - 02/27/05 12:17 PM

Bite me...<br><br>

Re: Figured it out. - 02/27/05 02:13 PM

Steve,<br><br>I really don't appreciate your Donec enim orci, ultricies in, malesuada quis, egestas quis, wisi. Donec ac sapien. Ut orci. Duis ultricies, metus a feugiat porttitor, dolor mauris convallis est, quis mattis lacus ligula eu augue. Sed facilisis. Morbi lorem mi, tristique vitae, sodales eget, hendrerit sed, erat. Vestibulum eget purus vitae eros ornare adipiscing. Vivamus nec quam. Integer vestibulum malesuada libero. Sed vehicula fermentum leo. In condimentum. Nullam wisi arcu, suscipit consectetuer, vehicula vel, pharetra sed, leo. <br>Vestibulum imperdiet nonummy sem. Vivamus sit amet erat nec turpis tempus consequat. Praesent malesuada. Donec vitae dolor. Donec at lacus ac mi vehicula bibendum. Donec feugiat tempor libero. Nam uut, massa. Maecenas vitae ante et lacus aliquam hendrerit. Curabitur nunc eros, euismod in, convallis at, vehicula sed consectetuer posuere, eros mauris dignissim diam, pretium sed pede suscipit:<br>Buis, aliquam id, nulla. Duis<br>Morbi luctus. Nunc euismod<br>Lectus felis, sagittis quis, tincidunt<br>Buis, aliquam id, nulla. Duis<br>Quis erat. Curabitur neque Aene<br>Adiam condimentum purus, in consectetuer Proin in sapien. Fusce urna magna,neque eget lacus. Maecenas felis nunc, aliquam ac, consequat vitae, feugiat at, blandit vitae, euismod vel, nunc. Aenean ut erat ut nibh commodo suscipit. Maecenas non quam. Cras erat. Aliquam pede. vulputate eu, estmorbi tristique senectus et netus et male. Aliquam pede. Proin neque est, sagittis at, semper vitae, tincidunt quis, enim. Cras adipiscing neque eget lacus. Maecenas felis nunc,pharetra ut, aliquet non, rutrum quis, urna. Nulla vitae sapien. Fusce eros lectus, at lacus ac mi vehicula bibendum.<br><br>

Re: Figured it out. - 02/27/05 03:02 PM

Oy... like putting a revolver in a baby's hands. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>AND YA HAD A COUPLA TYPOS IN THERE TOO, YA FARKIN' IDJUT! <br><br>

Re: Figured it out. - 02/27/05 03:08 PM

What?<br><br>"tincidunt"<br><br>That's not right? Sheesh! Damn New Yorkers.....<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/27/05 09:38 PM

And the linkage is supposed to be created automatically when the file is placed on the page in Pagemill. If it plays in the preview, it should play on the web.<br><br>You might be presuming too much here. I suspect it's the syntax or the physical location (directory hierarchy) being used by pagemill that is foiling your browser. Just because the movie works in the parent program doesn't mean it will work in a browser. Besides are you sure Adelphia will allow you serve up stuff?<br><br>Have you tried posting one of your videos here in macminute before? If you haven't it might be worth a try. If it works then the problem is probably a syntax error in your pagemill code, otherwise the problem is with adelphia.<br><br>

Re: How to get movies on my site - 02/28/05 03:50 AM

Ya should have read the rest of the thread first... <br><br>