program memory allocation.

Posted by: scaught

program memory allocation. - 06/15/01 04:12 PM

ok. ctrl click, info, memory. thats the "control panel" that allocates how much memory any given program will use, right? theres 2 you can adjust, minimum and preferred size. i have a crapload of ram, will turning those numbers up make the programs run faster/better? whats your general consensus?<br><br>
Posted by: bdog

Re: program memory allocation. - 06/15/01 07:18 PM

First of all, it's not a "control panel" it's just a window that let's you edit the memory allocation.<br><br>Now, here is what I do. For example, let's say an app's suggested size is 5320, then I will give it either 5500 or 6000 for the minimum size, and about 10000 or 15000 for the suggested (just to be "safe"). I also have alot of RAM (384MB) and I don't have to worry about filling it up! Also, I think ahead to what the program will be doing. For example, I will give photoshop way more RAM than it needs. And if I know a program is buggy, I will also give it alot. Hope this helps.<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: program memory allocation. - 06/15/01 10:10 PM

I would not change the minimum allocation at all. If you do, it means that the app will always take that much RAM, even if it's not using it. So if you have a tiny little app, like SimpleText, which has a minimum allocation of 190 or so K, and you up that to 100 MB, then it will always use 100 MB, and none of that will be available for other apps. On the other hand, if you raise the preferred memory, the app will be allocated up to the amount you designate. So if you raise the preferred memory of SimpleText to 100 MB, it will still use only the couple of hundred K that it regularly uses. The rest will still be available for other apps.<br><br>Raising memory allocation will almost always make your app more stable. You'll never get an "out of memory" message. And so on. With X, of course, all of that allocating is done by the OS itself.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: bdog

Re: program memory allocation. - 06/16/01 11:39 AM

Very true Yoyo, but sometimes apps are buggy becuase thier minimum allocation is too low (the programers don't give it enough) and then they can crash. This is why I always give these apps 50 or 100k more memory for the minimum. But I do also have plenty of RAM to spend.<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: program memory allocation. - 06/16/01 07:06 PM

Didn't know that would be a problem, bdog. Live and learn <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: program memory allocation. - 06/17/01 11:06 PM

The min doesn't matter a whole lot - the preferred is the one that matters. I normally double the preffered, depending on the app, and never change the minimum.<br><br>Some apps like PictureViewer, its perferred is 7 or 8 times normal, so I can copy large images, and so forth.<br><br>When a problem arises, THEN change it accordingly.<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>