NowX stopped working

Posted by: tomgb

NowX stopped working - 03/31/10 01:18 PM

Why has NowX stopped working on my computer? I am a licensed user and now when I start NowX my menus are grayed out and I can't do anything with the App. I have to force quit to get out of it!
Posted by: ptdoyle

Re: NowX stopped working - 03/31/10 04:43 PM

Give it 20 minutes in the startup phase and it will launch. Better find something else because one day it won't.
Posted by: davebarnes

Re: NowX stopped working - 03/31/10 08:11 PM

NowX was starting just fine for me UNTIL I upgraded to Mac OS 10.6.3 and then upgraded my iMac to a new machine.

Not starting up at this time.
Joy.
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/01/10 05:50 AM

As long as you are using Now X 10.0.4 there won't be any registration server issues. To download that version, go to www.nowsoftware.com. If you are using 10.0.4, the problem will likely be written out to the console. In that case, start Now X and if it fails to launch, go to /Applications/Utilities/Console.app, open it, and save a copy of the console log (File menu), then email that console log to john_support@nowsoftware.com along with a description of what is happening.

NOTE: Now X is launching fine for me on all of my test computers on a home network.
Posted by: rebdan

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/01/10 08:47 AM

I'm also having a slow launch for 10.0.4 on both my machines. My iMac is running the latest system upgrade, but my laptop is not and the same thing is happening. So I don't think it's the system upgrade.
What's happening as I write on my MacBook Pro is that the calendar launches quickly and the menus follow later, several minutes later. I can make changes to the calendar even as I wait for the menus to become active again and I can move between the calendar and the contact list.
So I think it's something in the version of Now X which creates a pressure to find an alternative. After reading all the posts on the subject so far, I think I'm going to try the Chronos product first. My needs are pretty simple and their description, plus the more reasonable cost, seem to fit my needs.
Daniel
Whoops! Now the whole thing is grayed out and I can't do anything! Can't even get the menus to show at all. So I took a break and when I returned about 10 minutes later, everything was fine.
Posted by: cvbcvb

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/01/10 09:41 AM

Now X “now” takes 10 minutes to launch for me - prior to that, all Menus are greyed out...

Once launched, it’s back to its “normal” self - 10 second spinning beach balls when opening any contact, event, etc...

CVB

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/01/10 09:42 AM

I am running NowX 10.0.4
This is in nowx.log file:
2010-04-01 10:19:35 INFO Product version: 10.0.4 (14731)
at nighthawk.agent.Agent.run(Agent.java:248)
2010-04-01 10:19:36 INFO opening /Users/davebarnes/Library/Application Support/Now X/Database.NowX/Data/Data
at nighthawk.util.MWorkspaceDocument.getDB(MWorkspaceDocument.java:185)
2010-04-01 10:19:40 INFO done opening nighthawk.db.DNightHawkDB@144b624=/Users/davebarnes/Library/Application Support/Now X/Database.NowX/Data took 4.8 seconds
at nighthawk.util.MWorkspaceDocument.getDB(MWorkspaceDocument.java:195)
2010-04-01 10:23:12 INFO Call made on non-existent (or private) method applescript.applicationDockMenu()
at now.rmi.plistrpc.Server.invoke(Server.java:214)
2010-04-01 10:24:50 WARN Unable to reach https://services.nowsoftware.com
at now.net.NURL.isReachableViaHttp(NURL.java:114)

It finally launched after I quit and relaunched. It took over 5 minutes. I did the about NowX and then it froze. Force quit was required.

I uninstalled NowX and went to the Now Software webaite and downloaded the latest and installed it. It still takes a few minutes to launch and then freezes after a single action.

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/01/10 10:10 AM

I asked weeks ago to John (who never responded) what happens with 10.0.4 and his contradictory statements - either it never checks the Now Servers or the program will just wait and check again LATER. We’ll (as I stated), what happens when “Later” there is still no Now Server then what?

This appears to be that scenario...

CVB

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/01/10 01:49 PM

As of Now X 10.0.4, if the registration server is unreachable (either that server is offline or you are offline) then it bypasses the check during startup and the software loads. It then periodically checks and if either you are online or the server is online it does the verification then. The upshot is that if the server is offline (as it is today as we reconfigure for a new service provider) the software will continue working.

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/01/10 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: John Wallace
The upshot is that if the server is offline (as it is today as we reconfigure for a new service provider) the software will continue working.

For how long do you plan on having a new server online?

Will this server also handle “Web Services” requests in NUDC such as “Get Street Map”?

CVB

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/02/10 12:03 AM

I'm in the process of rebuilding the server. The problem is that the network address changed and the programmer who did that code has a hard-coded value in there. Somewhere. After I find that I can get the server back up.

I'm also looking into why things are suddenly taking a lot longer to start. It is likely related to the changes in addresses causing a timeout.

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/04/10 07:12 PM

NowX is working, for me, the best/fastest it ever has.
Something changed in the last few days.
Posted by: tomgb

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/05/10 10:54 AM

It's now working for me as well on both 10.6.3 and 10.4.x. Sync's are pretty slow on 10.4
Posted by: H

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/14/10 08:22 AM

So what is the fix for Now locking up?
I am running Now X.0.4 and Mac OS 10.6.2.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/14/10 09:15 AM

Have you given it plenty of time to start up? According to the replies in this thread it seems people are waiting 10-20 minutes for it to finish launching.
Posted by: Izzicentro

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/23/10 02:02 PM

NowX is taking 10-15 minutes to start up. This just started happening this week. Can this be fixed?

Re: NowX stopped working - 04/23/10 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Izzicentro
Can this be fixed?

You should direct this question to John Wallace.

CVB