Wireless is funny

Posted by: Trog

Wireless is funny - 11/13/03 08:22 PM

So I tested the IP over firewire with my desktop and powerbook at home and it worked great but after unplugging the firewire cable from the powerbook I was about to shut the lid and I noticed iChat was still active. What the heck?<br><br>Apparently a neighbor has a base station running with an open network and my powerbook just locked into it automatically. I was looking into buying an Airport base station not long ago, maybe I don't even need one after all The signal was fairly weak but near one particular window it was strongest.<br><br>So, I walked outside and went all the way around the house carrying my powerbook. In no location outside the house could I get a stronger signal than INSIDE the house. Huh?<br><br>Now, I know we don't have a base station so how do I find out where this is coming from? If its a neighbor I know I might at least want to tell him/her about it.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/17/03 10:15 AM

If your neighbour's base station is on the second floor, and you tried it from the second floor, there will be less stuff (brick, concrete, metal, etc.) in the way of your signal.<br><br>It may be a neighbour a few houses over too - if you have less stuff in the way from your window, that would explain the stronger signal.<br><br>But yes, you should find this person and tell him. You haven't done anything wrong, but someone else might misuse his network and get him in trouble in the process.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/17/03 10:21 AM

what trouble can one cause?<br><br>[color:blue]Your unsolicited Apple authority</font color=blue>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/17/03 11:02 AM

Maybe this is stupid but, 802.11 signals DO reflect off things right? Even if it is coming from a few houses over I can't quite figure out how I can stand right outside the window with the strongest signal and get nothing?<br><br>Well, I'll have to really walk around and figure it out. Its a puzzle now.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/19/03 02:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>what trouble can one cause?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Someone could do some hacking, spamming or any number of illegal activities while "hijacking" someone's wireless network. When the feds come knocking at the newtwork-owner's home, he might still be held liable for opening up his network (especially in civil court in the case of hacking into a company).<br><br>

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/19/03 04:07 AM

i see, i thought it's only the guy who actually did the hacking is responsible.<br><br>if we follow the same principle, the ISP is also liable for allowing the hacker to hack in for providing internet connection. is there a flaw in my thinking?<br><br>[color:blue]Your unsolicited Apple authority</font color=blue>

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/19/03 12:04 PM

The feds would have a hard time throwing someone in jail over it—unless they could prove the network was left open on purpose for that exact scenario (pretty hard to prove). However, in the ever-litigious US, a company that got hacked would still sue (and probably win) against the guy that left his network open. They would say because of his "irresponsible" behavior, they were able to be hacked by someone that cannot be traced.<br><br>It's like the BS that happens here sometimes where someone trespassing on your property hurts themselves and then can get away with suing you the homeowner because they hurt themselves while on your property, despite the fact that they shouldn't have been there in the first place.<br><br>

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/19/03 12:07 PM

Actually, I take that all back. Maybe the feds would still throw the guy in jail. Because unless he could prove that it wasn't him using a laptop on his own network the courts would still consider him the perpetrator. I mean, what's to keep a guy with an open wireless network from using a POS laptop to do some hacking and then just throwing the laptop away when he's done the deed? (just a hypothetical scenario). All he has to say is someone "piggybacked" on his wireless network... I think the guy would have to hire a really good defense lawyer—I'll put it that way.<br><br>

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/19/03 12:17 PM

what if someone hacks into your wifi system and than uses it to hack someone? than surely the owner can't be responsible.<br><br>[color:blue]Your unsolicited Apple authority</font color=blue>

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/19/03 12:26 PM

If someone hacks into your WiFi, I'm sure that's different—but if you're going to leave it wide open for anyone to jump on without authentication? I don't know. I'm just guessing you'd want a lawyer in either case—but a really good one in the latter instance.<br><br>I guess there's a similar situation at my local library. The computers are free and open to the Internet.There is no registration to use the machines (though I'm sure they're devoid of any hacking programs for most hackers )... I don't know how the FBI would treat that if the library was used as the conduit for hacking.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Wireless is funny - 11/20/03 08:13 PM

True, but how do you prove it wasn't you? Even if you can, do you want to have to go through all of the hassle?<br><br>