g3 as a mac/win file server...

Posted by: Anonymous

g3 as a mac/win file server... - 05/30/02 12:26 PM

have a b/w g3 gathering dust in an empty office where i work, what could i do to make it a central email\file server for the 2 winblows systems and the G4 in the building....<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: g3 as a mac/win file server... - 05/30/02 05:51 PM

you could do that, and if in install OSX on it, then you can have a true intranet machine to put a local website on, with lots of great features... but then again... why would you want to do this? Is it neccessary? Sounds like a great way to add one more piece of hardware/configuration to the maintenance requirements of your system.<br><br>If it's not needed, then it's not needed. File server should be useful, but email server? Probably not needed...<br><br><br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein

Re: g3 as a mac/win file server... - 05/31/02 08:46 AM

would it be logistically feasible to load os x on a g3/400? the machine has 640mb ram but would not os x be extremelly laggy on such a minimum processor...maybe email server is stretching it, would appleshare ip allow me file server ability for win systems...?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: g3 as a mac/win file server... - 06/01/02 12:59 AM

OS X would run fine on it, I run OS X on my 466 iBook and it runs fine.<br><br><br><br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: g3 as a mac/win file server... - 06/02/02 08:04 AM

I ran OS X for months on my Beige G3/300 and while the GUI was kinda pokey, everything else seemed to run fine. I'd say you'll be able to run OS X acceptably on the machine, especially if it's only going to be a server (and with three machines connected, I don't think you're going to really challenge its processing power).<br><br>