why will mac os x server not install on DP450

Posted by: Anonymous

why will mac os x server not install on DP450 - 05/29/02 01:07 PM

...found a OS X Server CD on ebay and when attempting to install on DP450, the installer says "Mac OS X Server cannot be installed on this computer."<br><br>
Posted by: TimL

Re: why will mac os x server not install on DP450 - 05/29/02 01:54 PM

Is it HFS or HFS+? It needs to be HFS+, if it's not.<br><br>

Re: why will mac os x server not install on DP450 - 05/29/02 02:04 PM

the drive is HFS+ (MacOS Extended), oddly enough, the installer shoots me down before even allowing me to select one of the 5 disks i have on which to install....<br><br>
Posted by: TimL

Re: why will mac os x server not install on DP450 - 05/29/02 03:56 PM

I don't recall anything about a needed firmware update for that machine, but I could be wrong. That's about the only other thing I can think of. I was going to ask about available disk space, but you say it won't get that far, which makes me think of firmware. If I can think of anything else....<br><br>
Posted by: morserj

Re: why will mac os x server not install on DP450 - 06/02/02 08:19 PM

What version of OS X server is it? The old OS X 1.0 would only install on a UFS partition.<br><br>Ryan

Re: why will mac os x server not install on DP450 - 06/03/02 09:03 AM

wow. i was digging around the contents of the core system included with the OS X installer and the finder version is 8.5.1!!??!żż<br><br>i really went out on a limb and read the read me file (imagine that!), turns out the system requirements is a PowerMac Server G3...<br><br>i thought that all flavors of OS X were post-G3 era<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: why will mac os x server not install on DP450 - 06/03/02 01:53 PM

odd, sounds like a firmware patch might be able to trick the installer, but honestly, I'd have no idea where to begin on that front<br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein