XServe

Posted by: johnengler

XServe - 05/14/02 11:46 AM

cool see the MM front page... wow...<br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: XServe - 05/14/02 12:30 PM

Apple Xserve<br><br>--<br>I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: XServe - 05/14/02 02:52 PM

Nice looking... but I gotta wonder about an IDE bus for the Hard Drives, and the slow bus speeds... not really an optimal environment for servers.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: XServe - 05/14/02 06:05 PM

IDE gets a bad rap... you know with a FIBRE card in that thing, you can just hook it up to your co-lo's biggassSAN and have plenty of fast disk access... <br><br>This thing could kick ass... it's a great "enter the market, gain market share" type of appliance... almost a plug and play server (you provide the milk of course).<br><br>john<br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: XServe - 05/14/02 11:04 PM

There is not just one IDE controler there is one per hard drive I.E. 4 so with a software raid system you can get 400 MBps Transfer so it will be far from slow.<br><br><br><br>“Here can be found the last words of Joseph of Arimathea. He who is valorous and pure of heart may find the Holy Grail in the aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh…”<br><br>- Monty Python and The Holy grail<br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: XServe - 05/15/02 11:31 PM

IDE gets a bad rap, that's true, but surely not always for unfair things. IDE still performs less well under severe load in my experience, and I wouldn't go to war with it as a server hard drive unless I had to.<br><br>However, how goddamn much do I want one of these XServer RAID's sitting in my front-end services by the end of the year? smile Thing is pretty AND awesome. Still, though, it's IDE - I'm not sure I get why except that the I is supposed to stand for Inexpensive...hmm...<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: XServe - 05/24/02 01:28 PM

Good point... FibreOptic card would be a wise decision. We had one in an old G3 hooked up to a RIP at a service bureau and it was wicked fast!<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>