IP over firewire

Posted by: Trog

IP over firewire - 08/26/03 06:34 PM

So, has anyone tried this and got it to work? I can't seem to get it to work at all with my PBG4 and a sawtooth G4 400.<br><br>The instructions are very simple (maybe too simple) but I get nada, zilch, nothing! And since it is beta software there isn't any support. Surprisingly there really aren't any threads in the Apple discussions either.<br><br>It would be a great way to interface my powerbook with my new G5, better than firewire target disk mode because I wouldn't have to reboot, and better than buying a router because its free!<br><br>If anyone tries it out and gets it to work, please let me know.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: IP over firewire - 08/27/03 12:05 AM

You can just buy an ethernet cross over cable and then won't need a hub or router if you just want to link two computers together. It maybe faster as well depending on the powerbook you have(I.e. if you have a gigabit ethernet powerbook). Crossover cables shouldn't cost more than about $10 and ethernet would be much more stable than the beta IP over Firewire. <br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Re: IP over firewire - 08/27/03 12:20 AM

Well, see I was just thinking lazy <br><br>My desktop G5 will be plugged into a cable modem. Yes, I could unplug the cable each time and stick it into my powerbook. Then when I'm done stick it back into the cable modem... but kind of a pain, plus I have no internet access during that whole process.<br><br>Yes, I could just buy a router, and eventually I probably will. But mostly I just want to transfer the stuff I did at work during the day to the G5 at night (a backup). This would be cheapest (free), most convenient (one cable attached to the firewire port in the front of the tower, plus no rebooting or loss of internet connection) and fast.<br><br>Now, if it just worked. <br><br>---<br><br>BTW, newer macs (after 2001?) don't even need crossover cables. They can figure things out and do the crossover bit themselves with a regular CAT-5 cable. Pretty nifty.<br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 08/27/03 03:22 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: IP over firewire - 08/27/03 12:36 AM

I know mine does the clever cross over bit, I just wasn't sure when they introduced it. It is pretty usefull I have a retractable MacAlley cat 5 cable which I keep in my laptop bag in case I need to transfer files faster than just airport. <br><br>The only thing I can think of is perhaps an IP conflict, do you have the IP set up the same on two different interfaces, this will confuse the computer as it won't know where to route its data.<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Re: IP over firewire - 08/27/03 12:39 AM

I'm really not sure, I just typed in exactly what the .pdf said. However, I read somewhere a guy said to make sure the DNS entries have to be identical. Neither computer I am using has anything in the DNS field, but if I type "nslookup" in the terminal it tells me what it is. I'll try putting that into the field of each computer tomorrow and see if anything changes...<br><br>I'm half asleep, so I didn't even register what you said. But, the mac that is connected to the ISP is given a local IP number for its firewire port and then you use THAT as the routing number for the leech machine. So, effectively the first machine IS the router from what I understand. Of course, you have to turn on internet sharing in the first one and have ethernet running as the top network configuration.<br><br>whatever... damn thing doesn't even work locally for me so something is really screwed up.<br><br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 08/27/03 03:44 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: IP over firewire - 08/27/03 12:47 AM

How have you got the IPs set up on the second machine?<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman