So much for wireless broadband!

Posted by: JohnR

So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 06:38 AM

I emailed them to see if it was mac-compatible..and here is the reply I got from their Customer Service:<br>No.<br><br>Hmmm...I wonder if it would be but they just don't know?<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 06:42 AM

I just emailed the guy back...<br>Why not? I was all set to get this....what prohibits it from working with macintosh's?<br>Right now I'm wireless with Insightbb using a Linksys router. If it's because you aren't sure, I would love to test it out for you all.<br><br><br><br>My stuff for sale.
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 06:42 AM

Ask them if it is Unix compatible and see what the response is!<br>Seems no is the first answer to anything that has Mac in the sentence when you talk to tech support. Our national communications carrier claimed for years not to support Mac but strangley in every TV commercial promoting their product was someone sitting in front of a PowerBook or iMac. The reason? They look better on TV.<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: iraszl

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 09:47 AM

I know how you feel.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 10:57 AM

Did they explain why not? When I first got DSL, thrree or more years ago, I was told that the service wasn't Mac compatible. When I asked why, they said they didn't know. I got it. It worked.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet
Posted by: steveg

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 10:59 AM

I had the same dance with Hell Atlantic's DSL about 4 years ago. The installer was clueless, but once he was out of the way, set up and connection worked even though the service itself soon became a nightmare.<br><br>

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 11:03 AM

Actually, some of these boneheads don't really differentiate "compatibility" with "support". For instance, RoadRunner doesn't officially "support" Mac, but it certainly is compatible. You should ask them to clarify that.<br><br>

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 11:03 AM

Nope..his reply was this:<br><br>From: "Brian R"<br>Date: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:33:22 AM US/Eastern<br>To: John R<br>Subject: Re: Wireless broadband<br><br>No<br>John R writes: <br>Hi,<br>I read an article in the Courier-Journal last week about how you all are coming out with wireless broadband for homeusers. My question is...will this be Mac-compatible? Thanks,<br>John <br><br>Don't you just love customer support??<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JohnR on 08/10/03 02:05 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 11:05 AM

Sounds like a company that doesn't want customers. I'd feel fortunate not to give them my business <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 11:06 AM

I did email them and ask about Unix...so we'll see what their response is.<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 11:09 AM

So, wait until they get their marketing engine revved up. More than likely, you'll get one of "those" calls during dinner offering you an introductory deal, and you can just say... <br><br>

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 11:11 AM

The whole thing sounds fishy to me, John. Wireless signals don't know a Mac from a PC, after all.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 11:43 AM

I got the same answer when I wanted to try DSL. So I asked another question "What kind of cable will you give me to connect to my computer?" and they answered "ethernet". When they came to install they were shocked to see the Mac and didn't know what to do. So I asked them "What do you do if you had a PC?" and they said "install and configure PPPoE". So, we opened PPPoE, did the configuration and we were up and running.<br><br>Most of the time, they don't know what a Mac is... <br><br><br>DigitalEye
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 04:13 PM

I had a similar experience installing DSL here. I must admit the installer I had was a little more adventurous then most, he admitted not installing a Mac before but was interested to see how it was done, so between us we spent about 15 minutes plugging it in and installing the right configuration. When it was working he was a little suprised as he said they always allow 90 minutes for a PC install and he wasnt sure what to do with the extra time he had available! So we had coffee and surfed the net awhile, then he invited a few other installers in the area to come have a look at how easy it was (what you didnt have to install an ethernet card????)<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: So much for wireless broadband! - 08/10/03 04:38 PM

In the early days of DSL, when I first got my service, I was told by sales people, tech support, and the installation crew that it was NOT Mac compatible. I bypassed the sales people by saying that I'd buy it anyway, because I knew how to make it work (I had no idea, but assumed it was just a matter of plugging in the DNS numbers and letting it rip--which was correct). The installation crew got here (their visit was required in the contract--no way of getting out of it) and the guy stared at my screen several minutes without moving. Finally, he said, very sheepishly, "where's the Start menu?" <br><br>The installation guy could not figure out how to make it work. He called tech support from my phone, and tech support told him that it wouldn't work on a Mac. I asked to speak to the tech support guy. I said, "Ok. Tell me the DNS numbers." He did. I asked, "is this a DHCP server?" He said "yes." "And I have to put my login in the PPPoE starter, right?" "Yes." I said thanks and goodbye. I had already downloaded a good PPPoE interface before they came out. I was ready for this. <br><br>Before we could hang up, I was surfing on Internet Explorer. <br><br>These guys and their Mac stupidity (yes, stupidity because it goes far beyond just mere ignorance) have been a thorn in my side for years. I've never understood how they make these assumptions. Back in the dialup days, I had LOTS of tech support guys tell me that basically the Mac is incompatible with the Internet. I always fired back at them, "how do you explain that most of the WWW sites (this was 1993-1996) are made on Macs?" Long pauses. Back then I had to deal with their servers releasing my account after I'd get cut off, and it would take fifteen minutes to convince them that they needed to go in there and do it manually, because the server was not going to disconnect, and it wouldn't let me back on until it did. Basically, they did not like it when someone called to ask them to do something. They prefered to tell YOU what to do, and you had to go through this dance of intimidation with them before you could finally get them to do it. <br><br>Bottom line, if there is software for it on the Mac, it's compatible. If it's not now, it will be.<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br>[color:green]Pictures and things</font color=green>