PC network doesn't work for our macs

Posted by: iraszl

PC network doesn't work for our macs - 08/06/03 02:03 AM

We use Windows 2000 server with Service pack 3 & exchange Server 5.5 with Service Pack 3<br><br>On the PC's connected to the network everything works.<br><br>On the macs connected to the same network I can surf the net, but all the sites that use secure proxies give errors. I can't use iChat. I can't use ftp. I can use outlook for os9 to get exchange messages, but I can't use the new updated entourage (10.1.4) to do the same.<br><br>How do I start troubleshooting?<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 08/06/03 08:12 AM

You can start here---->click<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: rman

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 08/06/03 02:35 PM

Thanks. <br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 08/06/03 02:44 PM

macwindows.com was always a lifesaver for me when I worked in a PC environment.with one IT guy supporting it. He would always just tell me my problems "were just a Mac thing" and couldn't be helped. I would then look up the solution for him and tell him how to fix it. Lazy idiot he was. But mac windows spared his life and my sanity <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 08/06/03 11:48 PM

thanks. i hope i'll find the answer...<br><br>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 04:19 AM

We still got the problem. Nothing else works, but software update and browsing (regular, not secure only)! Even imagewell is not working!!!<br><br>Here is a screenshot of my settings. Maybe that leads to an obvious problem??? My IT guy has no clue. <br><br>Please help, give me any idea what to check?<br><br><br><br>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 07:29 AM

What seem strange to me, is that the router IP address and the DNS IP address are the same, including all of your proxy server IP address. In most environment I have worked in router and DNS IP address would be different. I don't know in your case, it just appears strange to me.<br><br>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 08:20 AM

that might be it, but our IT guy has no clue how to configure our network... i think most of the IP numbers are wrong. how can i find out the good settings?[shocking]<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 10:13 AM

You IT guy is a knucklehead.<br><br>100.x.x.x isn't even a private IP address and he's running a DHCP server on it?<br><br><br><br>[color:blue]My only goal in life is to live forever - so far so good!</font color=blue>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 10:14 AM

MACs suck.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 10:50 AM

I noticed that, but didn't think to say anything. Shouldn't it be a 192.xxxx number?<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 10:51 AM

Doesn't only Linksys use the 192.xxx.xxx.x format?<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 10:54 AM

No. 192.xxx.xxx.x is a universal "non-public" IP address.<br><br>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 10:57 AM

100.0.0.lx looks like a class a network, which I don't think he is running. It depends on how the network is set up. You may want to look at the PC configuration, in a dos window run ipconfig /all..<br><br>You should see the DHCP server, the DNS server, net mask, default gate way and the IP address. This information should be helpful in setting up your Mac.<br><br>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 11:03 AM

there are several private IP ranges assigned by IANA<br><br>10.x.x.x<br><br>172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x<br><br>and 192.168.x.x<br><br>these are used for local area networks and are not routable on the internet. If you have an IP address outside this range you are either connected right to the Internet with a static IP address assigned to you or (as in this case) you have completely misconfigured your local area network.<br><br>there is another range<br><br>169.254.x.x<br><br>which is auto configuring range. PCs without a DHCP server and set to dynamic IP will assign themselves a random IP address in this range. So if you ever see your computer assigned a number in this range, chances are you either have no ethernet connection or the DHCP server is not working.<br><br>[color:blue]My only goal in life is to live forever - so far so good!</font color=blue>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 11:17 AM

"We use Windows 2000 server with Service pack 3 & exchange Server 5.5 with Service Pack 3"<br><br>looking to get infected with the Blaster virus?<br><br>tell you IT guy to put the latest service pack and patches on.<br><br>[color:blue]My only goal in life is to live forever - so far so good!</font color=blue>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 11:24 AM

we already got infected. no joke. <br><br>

Re: PC network doesn't work for our macs - 10/01/03 11:24 AM

thanks i'll print this thread and try to investigate...<br><br>