Reroute internet connection?

Posted by: iraszl

Reroute internet connection? - 07/31/03 03:01 AM

If I have a mac with internet connection through Ethernet and I want to create a WiFi network, so that I can connect the laptop to the internet wirelessly, how do I do that? Do I have to buy a WiFi router?<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Reroute internet connection? - 07/31/03 03:44 AM

Most Wifi routers come with ethernet ports too, so if you buy one all you need to do is plug it in. I think it's the same for the AirPort Base station (not sure though). The basic setup would be to have the modem plugged into the router (wifi or not) and then connect over 802.11b, but you can just a easaly plug in your desktop without extra equpment. Hope that makes sense. <br><br><br>

Re: Reroute internet connection? - 07/31/03 03:51 AM

I meant to ask, is there a way to route with a software instead of buying a hardware router.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Reroute internet connection? - 07/31/03 04:18 AM

You might be able to buy an AirPort (802.11b/g) card for you desktop and then share your connection, is that what you wanted to do? If so i think your would just need you desktop connected to the net with a WiFi card and a laptop with a WiFi card. Although it's not a whole lot cheaper or easier then buying a router. <br><br>Unfortunately i forgot how to go about doing this, so maybe someone else can help. <br><br>

Re: Reroute internet connection? - 07/31/03 05:27 AM

Exactly, this is what I want to do. I already have the cards installed, but don't have a base station and I want to avoid buying one. Thanks!<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Reroute internet connection? - 07/31/03 05:48 AM

Yes, absolutely. I have done it before.<br><br>Go to Sharing in the Sys. Prefs, click on Internet sharing and click Share Internet Connection with Airport (or something like that).<br><br>If the option is disabled, go to Network Settings and make sure both your Ethernet and Airport cards are active - the Ethernet card should be listed first in the order.<br><br>I've also done the reverse. With Airport first in order in Network Settings, my iBook got an Internet connection via my Airport Base Station, and I ran an Ethernet cable to a friend's iBook to share an Internet connection with her.<br><br>

Re: Reroute internet connection? - 07/31/03 09:07 AM

LOVE YOU!<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Reroute internet connection? - 08/01/03 10:04 AM

Awww, shucks!<br><br>