New modem to get the high speed

Posted by: John Rougeux

New modem to get the high speed - 03/21/14 02:43 PM

Called Time Warner since I was paying more than what their plans were. They had taken over Insight last year and always said that I couldn't change plans..yet.

Time Warner says that my old modem can't handle the upgrade in speed. So I had to order a new modem in order to save a monthly fee and get higher speeds. crazy

I ordered the Motorola SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Jim, have any experience with this model? Got good reviews at Newegg
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/21/14 04:38 PM

We did this the old fashioned way, I called John, saves a lot of typing. grin He's changing to 20M download speed. He owns a Motorola Surfboard SB5120. TW said it was DOCSIS 1.0 and wouldn't give him his 20M. DOCSIS 1.0 goes 38M down and 9 up.

Actually an SB5120 is DOCSIS 2.0, but the only thing that changed from 1 to 2 is upload speed. 2.0 does 27M up I think.

You can get a used SB5120 on ebay for $10, new $25.

His modem is one that TW recommends.

Freakin' idiots and liars. I deal with a lot of Telco/Cable/ISP sales/tech support with what I do. I usually hate it and only call if I really have to.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/21/14 07:33 PM

I recognize some of those words.
English, right?

Let me get this straight, I have a mental block with this stuff… confused
No matter how good my router is (Airport Extreme 2012?), to get the best speed and reliability, I need a top of the line modem?

So why doesn't Apple make a modem?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/21/14 07:38 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but shouldn't high speed internet rates have gone down by now? My 10 Mbps down/1 Mbps up service should be the equivalent of last century's dialup, right?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/21/14 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Let me get this straight, I have a mental block with this stuff… confused
No matter how good my router is (Airport Extreme 2012?), to get the best speed and reliability, I need a top of the line modem?
Very good. You have a career waiting in tech-support. Sell it even if they don't need it. Faster is better, newer is the way to go. smirk
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/21/14 09:13 PM

But it was new.
It was better.
smirk wink
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/21/14 09:25 PM

But it was new.
It was better.
smirk wink

Oh those past tenses!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/22/14 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
But it was new.
It was better.
smirk wink

Oh those past tenses!

LOL.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: New modem to get the high speed - 03/22/14 05:44 AM

Holy crap... I forget the provider.. but was at my Moms house last week and her iMac seemed a bit slow internet-wise... so I checked speedtest.net 3 times. A steady 56 Mb down and 10-ish up. WTF?
I figured out her whole iMac is slow... but that's another story.