ASUS routers, what beasts.

Posted by: Jim_

ASUS routers, what beasts. - 01/25/14 12:01 PM

I just installed an RT-N65U for a customer, it's melting the snow off of his roof. grin

They had a Cisco/Linksys E2500 that had trouble getting a signal to an upstairs back bedroom, one bar and a 1.5 download speed. With the ASUS they have full bars and full 15M speed using the 2.4Ghz radio, 2.4Ghz goes through walls better than 5Ghz. One only needs 5Ghz for optimum computer to computer file transfer anyway. They only had 3 bars using the ASUS 5Ghz and 7M download.

Last week I installed an RT-N66U Dark Knight in an old 3 story house that has brick walls. It's a bit stronger is why I went with it, but it does have external antennas. They had an Airport base station that couldn't reach the 3rd floor at the far end of the house, and it couldn't get through to a far room in the basement. The house has full coverage now. The basement and 3rd floor gets 2-3 bars and 5M download out of 20M possible, but it has coverage.

I guess you get what you pay for. cool
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 01/25/14 08:03 PM

No unusual setup or configuration issues? Are you going to make me Google for the prices?

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 01/25/14 08:30 PM

N65U $90 and N66U $130 at Amazon.

When you first connect it goes to a setup routine, but after that it's just another web based router interface but with many more options than the average bear. VPN server, AP or router, Traffic managing/shaping, Traffic monitor, USB ports for Network disk or Print Server, with attached USB disk it can be an FTP server, local Samba server, or Media Server.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N65U/E7376_RT-N65U_Manual.pdf

Plus it's a powerful mofo.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 01/27/14 07:04 AM

If/when my current dLink dies, I might have to look at the $90 one. Could always use a better signal around the house.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/06/14 07:17 AM

I may be getting that ASUS router sooner than later. My router completely "lost" its internet connection last evening. I couldn't even log into it from my computer (connected via ethernet). Had to hard reboot it by disconnecting and reconnecting the power.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/06/14 09:16 AM

You won't be disappointed in the performance. The two I put in recently where I thought we were going to need repeaters are working out great, no complaints.

Like I mentioned you may need to use the 2.4 Ghz connection if you need better wall penetration. The 5 Ghz is better for interference though. You just can't have it all. smirk

If I remember they actually have a 2 year warranty as opposed to 1 year like most.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/06/14 09:23 AM

We're still only capable of 802.11g around here with the Minis. My father-in-law's MacBook Pro is n capable, though.

Oh, I found the most stable 2.4 channels to use quite some time ago and locked those in.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/10/14 03:25 PM

Finger is on the trigger. My router lost its internet connection again today. Same method had to be employed to restore it. I've had this one for 4 or 5 years, so it is probably time to go.

Found a good price at NewEgg with free shipping.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/10/14 07:24 PM

The only thing I've found odd about the interface is that when reserving IPs it doesn't show the name of the machine after reserving, or even give a place to put a name.

Although if you click on the arrow it does give some names you can reference by MAC address.

Unlike many router manufacturers Asus is very open to third party firmware, like DD-WRT and Tomato. For home use it really doesn't matter, but I think I'm going to get one and flash it to see what it does.

Looks like the DD-WRT firmware gives the machine name and a way to name it. Here's a link to the emulator for DD-WRT. The options available with DD-WRT are comparable to commercial routers. From the wireless options alone you can see that DD-WRT gives many more options to tweak.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/demo/Services.asp

Here's the Asus emulator.

http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/11/14 06:18 AM

One of the first things I do is change the router's default IP address to something non-standard.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/11/14 08:29 AM

I don't normally reserve IPs, since there are several mobile devices that come and go around here. The two Minis and the Vonage modem are my only constants.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/11/14 09:05 AM

Even though most routers assign the same IP based on MAC addresses I like to assign them for file sharing, printers especially, and remote access pinholes in the router, etc. Just a habit since I service many businesses. Like I said, most of the different settings don't come in to play for home use, but for commercial use the Asus are great so one doesn't have to pay for a commercial router.

I don't worry about mobile IP assignment either. No need for it.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/11/14 02:23 PM

Trigger pulled! $68 shipped from NewEgg, open box.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/13/14 06:55 AM

Had to reorder. For some reason, there was a glitch with PayPal. After reading the disclaimers for the open box, I went with a brand new one. CC info entered directly with Newegg went right through. smirk

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/17/14 06:32 AM

UPS says "Out for delivery." I'll be at work today, so tomorrow is the earliest I can get it set up. The sooner the better, since I seem to be having some DNS issues this morning.
Posted by: Papa

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/18/14 01:32 PM

Saw this article about ASUS routers being hacked.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/...exploited-flaw/

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/18/14 02:59 PM

Interesting, luckily it only affects configurations that have a USB drive plugged into the router's USB ports.

The June 22 report found the "ability to traverse to any external storage plugged in through the USB ports on the back of the router,"

Readers are advised to lock down their routers by installing any available firmware updates, changing any default passwords, and ensuring that remote administration, Cloud, and FTP options are set to off if they're not needed.

Thx. Something to keep in mind if using the USB ports on the router for Media sharing or NAS or something.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 06:45 AM

Well, I wouldn't be connecting such externals anyway nor enabling the AiCloud service (don't need it). As I've stated before, my first order of business is to change the router's default IP address. Hopefully, I'll get it installed and set up today.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 12:12 PM

Holy crap! Strong signal throughout the house and well into the back yard (on the iPhone)!

Mikey likes it! grin

The wife's MacMini is getting a full signal at full speed for the first time and that machine is about 20 feet away from the router.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 12:49 PM

I suppose I should let you know that I got the N56U. wink

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 01:20 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim! grin

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 04:37 PM

OK, internet connection is good for all devices, but I cannot connect to another computer on the network. Is there a setting or configuration I'm missing? My computer can "see" my wife's computer, but it won't connect. My wife's computer doesn't even "see" my computer at all. This is not good, since my computer is the shared printer print server.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 04:44 PM

Finally got a connection to my wife's computer and printed the file she needed from my computer. The connection took about 10 minutes to succeed, though.

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 07:01 PM

To those on the edge of their seats reading this, we're working on a possible manual DNS conflict in the background.

Stay tuned. grin

Re: ASUS routers, what beasts. - 02/19/14 07:05 PM

Glad you like the range. This is a case of getting what you pay for. There is a big difference between a $25 router and a $150 (at one time) router.

Even the pretty and pretty expensive Airport Extreme is only slightly more than half the range of what the Asus are.

Update - 02/24/14 02:43 PM

After futzing with the settings on the router and the associated computers on the network, nothing worked to establish reliable file sharing and printer sharing on the LAN. I've re-installed my old router and everything is back to normal. Filed and received an RMA from the vendor for a replacement unit. I'm not sure how long that will take considering shipping times. Hopefully, the replacement router will be OK. It has been a real head scratcher, but I'm sure the fault is with the router, since everything is working again with the old router installed. However, the old router is showing signs of imminent failure (it's 5+ years old).

All said, the wi-fi signal on the ASUS was excellent and there were no problems connecting to the internet. It was just a very flakey LAN behavior.

Final update - 03/27/14 11:27 AM

Thanks to Jim, aka: Reboot, it got sussed out.

A reset to factory defaults and a firmware upgrade "fixed" the LAN issues. I am now running a very robust wi-fi network complete with file and printer sharing capabilities. I'm happy. The wife is happy.

Did I mention, the wife is happy? wink grin

Re: Final update - 03/27/14 01:08 PM

The wife is happy? The IMF does it again. grin