Wi-fi weirdness

Posted by: yoyo52

Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 06:50 PM

My MBP just had the strangest problem I've ever had on wi-fi. First of all, instead of connecting right away to the network as soon as I opened the computer, the wi-fi icon on the kept showing that it was trying to connect, and finally couldn't. I turned the wi-fi off then on again, and after some searching the icon showed it was connected--but in fact I wasn't connected, so no internet came through--although the AirPlay icon showed that it was connecting to the AppleTV. I restarted and still no joy. So I after repeating everything a couple of times, I went to the Network Pane, duplicated the Wi-fi connection, and then turned off Airport. The pane asked if I wanted to save the duplication, I said no--and then when I turned Airport back on, presto change-o, I was connected to the web. I haven't restarted, or put the laptop to sleep yet, so I don't know if this is going to repeat. I hope not, because I have no idea why what I did worked.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 07:17 PM

I have a lot of Airport WiFi problems at home. Always have.
The only way to correct it is unplugging modem & router.
Sometimes it lasts for months, sometimes I have to unplug several times a day.
I've changed every preference I can think of, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 07:56 PM

The thing, though, is that my wife's MBP and my desktop MP were both connecting without a hitch. Just my MBP had the problem.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 08:24 PM

FM

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 08:25 PM

FM.
Can I charge clients for that?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 08:29 PM

F'in Magic. Sometimes you just have to start pushin' buttons. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

I charge for it. If I fix it they pay. grin

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 08:33 PM

Button, button, who's got the button?

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 07/15/13 09:35 PM

Yeah--that's what I figured. I've since put the laptop to sleep, woken it up, and had no problem. FM it is.
Posted by: MacTechie

Re: Wi-fi weirdness - 08/10/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
The thing, though, is that my wife's MBP and my desktop MP were both connecting without a hitch. Just my MBP had the problem.

I've had similar WiFi problems with an old MBP that seem to correlate to heat. I think the built in WiFi card may be going bad and as it get's hotter, it goes on the blink.

Same kind of showing connected by not transferring data, at other times it report no WiFi card installed. I put a laptop fan under it and the problem went away.

I expect, if I keep the MBP, I'll eventually need to replace the WiFi card.