time capsule - help!

Posted by: lanovami

time capsule - help! - 10/05/12 06:52 PM

Yes, a Mac question - whoda thunk?

I bought a Time Capsule this Februaryish. A few days ago, it stopped giving wifi to my son's iPad and my iPod. It only give my iMac access. It is nothing to do with passwords or anything, the other devices just can't get in. I have tried resetting configurations on the Capsule to no avail. I have yet to try putting the Capsule back to factory settings but will consider it.

Any helpful advice? smile
Posted by: Jim_

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/05/12 07:46 PM

Resetting the Time Capsule to factory would be the first step.

If that doesn't work on the iDevices restart each one of course. If no luck go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings.

This will remove all saved connections though so if you use the devices in other places you'll have to re-establish the wi-fi settings for each place.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/05/12 08:53 PM

Thanks, probably no time to try these steps now, but will do so soon.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/05/12 08:58 PM

whoops, I assumed factory setting would lose my backed up files, this appears not to be the case. Am trying now.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/05/12 09:01 PM

hee! It worked, with one device so far at least, the iPod.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/05/12 09:15 PM

and the iPad is back on the net. Good deal, I can get by with just the computer, but the kid has gotten very attached to that iPad, and it isn't the same without the internet.

I thought factory settings always erased EVERYTHING, was pleasantly surprised to find out this was not the case with the capsule. Maybe it was a worthwhile purchase after all.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/05/12 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
whoops, I assumed factory setting would lose my backed up files, this appears not to be the case. Am trying now.
As you found out it just resets the base station, not the HD. Who knows what happened. Something got stupified in the base.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/28/12 03:19 AM

Do you own a Time Machine? How has it worked out for you? I have heard it doesn't have the best shelf life and am a little worried about overly relying on it.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/28/12 05:59 AM

If by shelf life you mean that sometimes TC corrupts, yes, that has happened to me twice...
No matter.. wipe the TC drive and let er rip.
I find this to be an invaluable tool.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/28/12 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Do you own a Time Machine? How has it worked out for you? I have heard it doesn't have the best shelf life and am a little worried about overly relying on it.
I guess that's a YMMV thing. The customer I was at yesterday has TC backups from over 3 years ago on their 5 or so machines, all backing up to the same TC. They also use it as their main router/wireless.

I have another that has TM backups on a local drive from 5 years ago. Yet I do have an occasional one that TM or TC gets stupid on and it has to be erased and start over, not often but it does happen. There are possible fixes for corruption from what I've read but it's easier and quicker to just to start over. I've never had anyone with a corrupt backup that has felt the need to keep the old backups, they just want a current backup.

Re: time capsule - help! - 10/29/12 05:45 AM

I feel better about my purchase hearing such feedback. Thanks guys.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: time capsule - help! - 11/03/12 08:36 AM

I must admit, I'm not impressed with Apple's Time Capsule. I've had mine for about two years and it loses the connection to the backup drive after a few hours - requiring a restart of the Time Capsule. The WiFi part works fine.

Re: time capsule - help! - 11/05/12 03:38 AM

So far it hasn't given me much trouble. I do need to reset it more often than I should have to though.