Wireless solution for me...?

Posted by: DaddyMac

Wireless solution for me...? - 06/08/03 06:22 AM

Question about wireless stuff- I might actually spring for a wireless router- not sure if I wanna go with Airport (price), so is there a way to make the G4 work with the Linksys wireless router?<br><br>Would an Airport card work with that device, or would I have to buy a Linksys wireless card to get it to work...?<br><br>I'll probably buy something this week, so if anyone's got any epxerience in this matter, don't hold back!<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Wireless solution for me...? - 06/08/03 06:26 AM

YES.<br><br>The linksys router is configured with your browser.<br><br>Get an aiport card for the Mac, and a Linksys card for the PC. The Mac will be easier to setup than PC.<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Wireless solution for me...? - 06/08/03 06:53 AM

I picked up a SpeedStream wireless router for $60 after rebates. It is also configured with your browser. <br><br>Mine works great with everything...Airport card, PC wireless card, and my PDA wireless card.<br><br>It also has 4 LAN ports and my desktop and webcam server is plugged in there.<br><br>Another neat thing is if needed, they have an extended range antenna for $30 that works with it.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Wireless solution for me...? - 06/08/03 07:28 AM

i use the linksys wireless 4 port router with 3 macs.<br><br>no problems<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Wireless solution for me...? - 06/08/03 07:49 AM

The only advantage for the Airport basestation is the USB print server. I bought the airport one for precisely this reason. The printer connects directly to the basestation and I can print from any Mac.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Wireless solution for me...? - 06/08/03 07:58 AM

The Airport base station also looks a lot cooler than any of the others. You can't beat it for the coolness factor, but yeah it is a bit pricey when you can get a Linksys for much less. <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Wireless solution for me...? - 06/08/03 10:48 AM

Not too interested in the print server aspect- I already share my printer between Mac and PC using CUPS...<br><br>Thanks for the advice all...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>