DNS issues?

Posted by: MacBozo

DNS issues? - 04/29/12 01:45 PM

Been having random "Server not found" errors all weekend. Anything on the www? No changes on my end of things/setup.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 04:32 PM

Just here or everywhere? I haven't seen that anywhere. Could be your DNS temporarily acting stupid.

I have one from the public DNS Level 3 (4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6) and one from Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) in my Network prefs, in case one of the services is down it will go to the next, and because they are better than my ISP. I get that stupid advertising crap sometimes with my ISP as primary and they are slower. I do let the router grab the ISP just in case the other two aren't working, Anal DNS'ing. grin

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Just here or everywhere? I haven't seen that anywhere. Could be your DNS temporarily acting stupid.

I have one from the public DNS Level 3 (4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6) and one from Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) in my Network prefs, in case one of the services is down it will go to the next, and because they are better than my ISP. I get that stupid advertising crap sometimes with my ISP as primary and they are slower. I do let the router grab the ISP just in case the other two aren't working, Anal DNS'ing. grin

It has been pretty much everywhere. Sometimes they load and sometimes they don't. I've even gotten partial loads with the 404 error imbedded on the page. Strange. Maybe it's local?

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 04:43 PM

What are you using for DNS, default ISP and Network settings?

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 04:45 PM

Might try flushing you DNS cache from terminal.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 05:00 PM

Currently using my router.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 05:13 PM

Plug some public DNS of some kind into your Network prefs. See if the problems resolve.

Or you can enter them into the router so everyone benefits.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 05:37 PM

I'm having this issue at work with the new FAST connection. I had a setting in my network prefs that enabled me to get around this problem ..( I had it before, months ago) and now I accidentally erased that setting while on location with my iMac, the dreaded "pages won't load" problem is back, uglier than ever. The IT guy came by and blames it on everything... bad Ethernet port (ruled out), Safari (ruled out with Firefox, hangs less, but still hangs), DNS ( I changed to Googles 4.4.4.4 and 4.4.8.8-ruled out), tried Wifi( ok) and so on. The pages will just hang. The other day I must have got 30+ Page won't load errors. F'n frustrating when you have a connection that's faster than snot.
Ebay is notorious for not loading.. even CNN.
I come home and it's all fine... with the same versions Safari 5.1.5 and OS X 10.6.8.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/29/12 05:50 PM

Flush your DNs cache first. Reboot too. A reboot is supposed to flush the DNs cache but not if something's fubar with the DNS cache.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 04:14 AM

Yeah, I have some free time this week, finally slowing down a bit...so I will install Cocktail.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 04:41 AM

Use Terminal for DNS cache.

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

It asks for admin user password, remember the password doesn't show when you type it in Terminal.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 05:06 AM

Hehe...I'll use Cocktail if it's all the same. Terminal scares wimps like me....
Besides, I already own CT and it does all the other house cleaning chores. This is on the refurb iMac that you convinced me to go with. It's coming up on a year this month and i just activated AppleCare too.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 05:29 AM

Wimp.

I don't see anything in Cocktail for DNS cache though.

Actually you can screw things up with Cocktail pretty easy since it gives a GUI to things one usually does manually or in Terminal. A case of digital TMI if you don't know you're doing, from changing permissions, removing internet log in stuff, to removing localizations.

Re: New iMac. It's been a year? It's outdated already.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 07:51 AM

Files/Caches/Internet

So the average Joe should mucking around in Terminal? What's wrong with a GUI.. that's why we have them, isnt it? To make it easier than CLI.

Anyways.. no go on my internet issues thus far. I am seeing this page tho...
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3408

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 09:58 AM

Power down your routers/Airport and modem too. The routers cache DNS I know for sure, not sure about all modems.

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Files/Caches/Internet
I'm pretty sure Cocktail doesn't clear the DNS cache. I don't know where the DNS cache file is, never have manually moved it. I think the DNS caching is deep in the system somewhere.

Quote:
So the average Joe should mucking around in Terminal? What's wrong with a GUI.. that's why we have them, isnt it? To make it easier than CLI.
I prefer a GUI also but what I mentioned is that Cocktail allows too easy click and go access to things that you shouldn't be doing if you don't know what they are for. I like it for certain specialized things that I need once in a blue moon, but in general the OS takes care of all of that prebinding, launch services etc crap automagically anymore. I can't remember the last time I needed more than font caches or system/user caches cleared. The one thing I do on a regular basis, especially with designers, is clearing font caches. I just use FontFinagler, it does Adobe MS and Quark caches like Cocktail does, but lets me pick and choose which ones I want to delete. It does one thing and does it well.

The other item I use is Lion Cache Cleaner.

Clearing localizations I've seen cause problems numerous times, and in these days of huge HDs the amount of room it saves in negligible. Messing with permissions and ACLs should not be done unless one really knows what they are doing.

Clearing cookies will cause you to have to log back in to some sites, an inconvenience.

Disabling sudden motion sensors and disabling journaling I see no reason for and are safeguards that shouldn't be disabled, and watch what you do in Network also. the only reason for disabling journaling might be to speed up HD access if one is doing massive video crunching or something, but in general is a good thing to have on to keep the HD healthy.

I gave you the terminal command so I'd hope you'd trust it. cry The main thing you have to worry about in Terminal is if one is using the rm command to delete files, that is something you can't undo.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 10:42 AM

I'm at their mercy.. I have an AP in my studio in Bridge mode for my 2 Macs. I took it out of the equation. I singly hooked each one to the internet straight outta the wall... each has a slowness/hanging issue. I think it's them... but the IT guy tells me all the other Macs in the building don't have issues.
He's no Reboot, that's fer sure, so I take it with a grain of salt when he tells me anything.
Is there anything I might have installed that creates this issue?
I'm gonna take the iMac home and see what happens on my lil network there...

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 10:59 AM

He's no Reboot, that's fer sure, so I take it with a grain of salt when he tells me anything.
Brown noser, but I like it. laugh
Quote:
Is there anything I might have installed that creates this issue?
Ad/Flash blockers, anti-virus, MacKeeper off the top of my pointed little head. I hope the h you didn't install MacCrapper.
Quote:
I'm gonna take the iMac home and see what happens on my lil network there...
Clear the DNS cache before lugging that home.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 11:03 AM

I'm at their mercy.. I have an AP in my studio in Bridge mode for my 2 Macs. I took it out of the equation. I singly hooked each one to the internet straight outta the wall... each has a slowness/hanging issue. I think it's them.
Okay, just re-read your reply, that's a good possibility but still try the DNS clear then plug directly in.

Edit - BTW, in your Network prefs, make sure you set the service order so the one you are using is at the top, use the little gear icon thingy to get to Set Service Order.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 11:17 AM

Quote:
Ad/Flash blockers, anti-virus, MacKeeper off the top of my pointed little head. I hope the h you didn't install MacCrapper.

Nope..don't do any of that crap.

Did the Terminal thing and restarted.. no go.
Thanks anyways.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 11:19 AM

Set the Services order also... Ethernet first.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 01:58 PM

Reading back through, it's happening to two of yours, I suspect something not in your machines.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 02:00 PM

We had this problem before and he made me a setting that worked... and he says the Art depts Macs don't have an issue. So I copied their settings which use a static IP and I plugged in numbers for my machines IP till I found a free one and it seems better... not great... but so far no page errors...

What does a static IP do that a dynamic one doesn't?

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 02:01 PM

It still takes Ebays homepage 35-40 seconds to load... but it loads.

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 02:04 PM

DP Review loads in 7 seconds... better...

Re: DNS issues? - 04/30/12 04:14 PM

Did you try entering 8.8.4.4 and 4.2.2.3 in your Network DNS? I'm too lazy to read back through the thread. smirk