Sharing DSL...

Posted by: greenme1

Sharing DSL... - 05/23/03 03:21 PM

I would like to connect two computers to the internet via a wireless router. The problem is i connect to the internet through PPPoE and connect to the router with DHCP. I can't find a way to have them both on at the same time either. The other thing that worries me is this from apple: <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Note that the PPPoE protocol itself is strictly link-level, which means that it will only run between a client and a server on the same ethernet segment (no IP routers; the protocol is not an IP protocol).<p><hr></blockquote><p> Is there any way to get around this? Or can you connect using something other than PPPoE? <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: squareman

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/23/03 04:31 PM

The only way would be to figure out if your router can implement the PPoE, in which case, you can run as many computers off of that router as you have ports (or in the case of wireless, for as much bandwidth as you've got). For example, I know on my Linksys router, I can set it up for PPoE in the browser-based control interface. <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/23/03 04:52 PM

If both computers are running OSX, you could drop an airport card in each one and set up the main computer (the one the DSL modem plugs in to) as a software base station with "internet sharing" turned on. The second computer should get connected just fine via wireless sharing from the first computer.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/23/03 05:01 PM

Unfortunately the second computer is an older G3 PowerBook without the airport slot (and i already have the router and wi-fi card). I think i found out how to do it by changing the router settings though so i'll tell you how that goes. Thanks for the help all! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/23/03 07:18 PM

Internet --->(with PPPoe) ---> Router ----> as many computers as you want<br><br>linksys will do PPPoe - in fact with our linksys router connected to the internet via PPPoe we have 4 macs connected to it - 1 wired and 3 wireless.<br><br>

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/23/03 10:12 PM

I just found out where/how to change the settings via the internet. Now i just need to find out what my password is for logging on to DSL.... And for that i have to call customer service. Man, i hate Verizon's customer service. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/23/03 10:15 PM

you might be surprised.<br><br>I have verizon. Never wrote down the password to our DSL and one day the router reset to the factory settings and I lost DSL. Called verizon DSL customer service and had a new password and up and running in about 15 minutes.<br><br>good luck!<br><br>

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/24/03 01:50 AM

Well, i hope it goes well... but I'm not holding my breath. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 03:33 PM

I'm late to this, but it's easy to set the router as the PPPoE negotiator--I've been doing it for a year and a half. Verizon's way of doing username and password is a pain in the keyster, but once you get the info, just type it into the router's PPPoE settings and you're all set.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 04:58 PM

Ok, now i just have to catch customer service between 9-5 on a non holiday weekday for my password.... <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 07:10 PM

When I signed up with Verizon, i had to use my iMac, running OS 9, to do the initial sign-in, when the idiotic software that Verizon sends you negotiates the username and the password. As I recall, those two things showed up in the TCP-IP Control Panel (I think that was it) that the Verizon software installed. I wonder if the same thing shows up somewhere on the machine you used to establish the account. Have you checked the Network Control Pane?<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 07:23 PM

You mean the password shows up in the Network control panel? I never checked there. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 08:00 PM

I'm not guaranteeing that, greenme--but in OS 9, it showed up in the "Verizon TCP-IP Control Panel"--or whatever it was that the Verizon software installed to do the PPPoE negotiating.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 10:25 PM

Ok, I'm in OS 9 right now (man is it ugly) and all i see is something called "Verizon Online DSL" that has my username and password. But the password is encrypted so i can't get it from there.... any other ideas?<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 10:38 PM

phone verizon.<br><br>In NH it's 24/7 tech support and you'll find out faster than you can post a response here.<br><br>

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 10:43 PM

Verizon support <br><br>enter your area code and first three digits of your phone number. Dial the convenient 1-800 they give you.<br><br>

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/26/03 11:03 PM

It's 24/7? Then i have been wasting all this time trying to find the password when i could have just called this weekend! Oh well... <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 06:38 AM

Ahhhh kids these days, they wanna do everything the easy way, eh?!!! <br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 06:54 AM

Wasn't encrypted when I first got it. Maybe they've "refined" their methods <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 07:07 AM

Take a look at the instructions for using the Linksys router here I purchased the router for $115.00 (Australian so you can almost halve it for US) and after following most of the instructions I was up and running with 3 machines (G4 450 PB 400 and a 7300) in less than 10 minutes. None of these machines are running OSX yet so I dont know if it will make a difference. It was too easy!<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 07:09 AM

I am also on a PPPoE server connection. There is a configuration panel accessed via web browser to the router to enter your username and password<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 04:10 PM

I believe that i have everything set up with the router, now it's just a matter of getting hold of my mom who now has (or should have...) the password. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 04:11 PM

I do believe they have "refined" their methods. Oh well...<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 06:57 PM

I did it! I am now set up using my router to connect to DSL! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 07:06 PM

So did you get the info from Verizon or from one of your comps?<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 07:09 PM

i got it from Verizon, and i could have guessed the password it was so easy. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 07:25 PM

Really? The password they gave me is pure nonsense--not easy at all. And the automatically generated usename is vze2qkxh. Imagine having to remember that for your email address!<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Sharing DSL... - 05/27/03 07:40 PM

My username is nonsense but the password would be easy to crack. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "