Channel surfing

Posted by: MacBozo

Channel surfing - 12/13/10 03:01 PM

So, my wife's wireless internet was pathetically slow the last few days. I had set the router to automatic channel selection which seemed to work for several weeks (she, at least, had reasonable speed). The last few days, she has complained that things seemed really slow. I had the chance to check today and it was dismal. The router had chosen channel 4. I began locking it to specific channels starting at 1. Channel 1 got her about 2/3 optimal speed (channel 2 got about the same). Channels 3, 4, 5, & 6 were pretty dismal. My AP Express is currently on channel 7, so I skipped that. Channel 8 is the current sweet spot yielding a full speed connection for her. That could change tomorrow, though, but for now, channel 8 it is. This is all at 2.4 GHz 802.11g which is all I'm capable of with the Mini she has.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Channel surfing - 12/13/10 09:14 PM

Good troubleshooting. It's definitely interference. Without being able to switch over to "5Ghz only" your best solution is to monitor your connection like you have been. For so few networks it is a a bit different. I see this more often with high saturation of wifi networks. I wonder of there is more going on like wireless alarms or something close by polluting the 2.4 Ghz frequency.