AP Express problem?

Posted by: MacBozo

AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 02:51 PM

Or is it a problem with iTunes 10.1? My Mini has no trouble connecting to it on wake (or any other time), but iTunes has trouble "finding" it. So does AP Utility. If I turn off AP on the Mini and then turn it back on, the Mini connects and the Express shows up in AP Utility, but it still takes several attempts at connecting from iTunes before I can stream music to the living room stereo system. Any ideas?
Posted by: scottyb

Re: AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 04:13 PM

So, you are using the Express both as your wireless router, and for Airtunes? I've never had much luck using it that way, seems that it only wants to work in one capacity, or the other. If you've had good luck in the past with this setup, than I've no idea why it would hiccup now. Try manually changing the channel of the Express, sometimes another wireless network nearby will be using the same channel, and cause some difficulty.

Re: AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 04:23 PM

It's only for iTunes streaming. Internet is via ethernet through another router > modem.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 04:28 PM

No ideas, but I am kind of stymied by all of the wireless problems you have had over the years. I have never seen anyone with so many wireless glitches covering so many different pieces of equipment. There has to be some kind of interference or you're just really unlucky with flaky devices. Can you go all 5Ghz? If I remember you are using an older D-Link though.

How many wireless networks do you see under the Airport icon?

Does your modem have built in wireless?

Re: AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 04:41 PM

I'm sure it's some kind of interference being in a highly developed suburban area. I'm only g capable with the Minis. There are currently 4 networks showing up - 2 are mine (AP Express and the D-link for my wife's wireless access), the other two are local, but very weak. I've seen as many as 6, though. Before the last couple of iTunes updates, there was never a problem. I wonder if iTunes has changed the way it negotiates the connection.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 04:46 PM

If you could get an Airport for the router and set it all to a 5Ghz network that would tell the story, but it's kind of an an expensive experiment unless you can use an AP Express for the router. You can get a 5Ghz non-Apple router of course, but still a bit of an expense for an experiment.

The minis will both do n probably?

Re: AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 04:49 PM

The Minis are 802.11g max - no n.

Edit: I'll just chalk it up to effin magic - black magic in this case. laugh

Re: AP Express problem? - 12/12/10 04:51 PM

It's just prior to iTunes 10, there was never a connection problem.