Is this "normal?"

Posted by: MacBozo

Is this "normal?" - 08/09/10 08:27 AM

My computer connected via ethernet to the internet (via router > modem) is getting a full speed connection. My wife's computer connected via Airport > router > modem is getting about a half speed connection. Is my router crapping out? A couple of weeks ago, both computers were getting about the same full speed connection. The AP wireless connection is 802.11g.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Is this "normal?" - 08/09/10 09:18 AM

How are you testing the speed, speedtest.net?

Set up internet sharing on your computer and connect her computer through your wireless. See what results you get then.

It could be the router, or her airport card.

If you connect your computer through wireless instead of ethernet what speed do you get?

Re: Is this "normal?" - 08/09/10 02:02 PM

It will be Thursday before I can get the time to do any troubleshooting. Have granddaughter today, the wife's agenda tomorrow, and granddaughter again on Wednesday.

Re: Is this "normal?" - 08/09/10 06:58 PM

Life comes at you fast, soak it up. cool

Folowing up - 08/12/10 05:49 AM

My Mini connected via AP to the router gets full connection speed. My wife's Mini connected to my Mini via AP and Internet Sharing gets full speed. Only when her Mini is connected via AP to the router is when her connection speed is half to 2/3 what it should be (dl speed is half to 2/3; ul speed is full).

LAN stats:

My wife's Mini connected via internet sharing:

My wife's Mini connected to the router:

My Mini connected to the router:

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 07:27 AM

Take the password off of Zarvox and try hers just for the heck of it.

Next you might try setting the channel to manual in the router.

Your results aren't what I had expected. I figured it would show her being slow connected to anything, meaning something with her AP card or system, or #2, maybe being full speed connected to you, but slow to the router meaning something with the router.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:05 AM

Hmmm. I wonder if setting her a fixed/assigned IP on the router would help.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:09 AM

Her Transmit rate is low both ways. Doubt the IP would make any difference.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:23 AM

I locked the router to Channel 11 and her dl speed went to 7+ Mbps on a 10 Mbps internet connection (my Mini gets 9.6 Mbps consistently). It seems that the router is the bottleneck to me.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:38 AM

Take off the password and see what happens. Security does slow things up, WPA more so than WPA2, but this problem has just come up so that's just a stab in the dark.

Your mini gives a stronger signal than the router, distance the same?

You have the Express right? Reconfigure it to temporarily be the router.

Our local MicroCenter has the D-Link 624 for $14.99, that would be a long drive for you though. grin I'm picking one up for a customer and one just to have around. I don't need n speed wireless, anything needing speed is wired, but the g is good for my laptop.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:44 AM

I'll try that in a little while. Gotta go rest a cranky back.

Her's is varying from 3 Mbps to 5.5 Mbps now. My Mini is right next to the router, hers is 25 - 30 ft away in another room.

The Express is not in a location that I can wire to the modem.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
The Express is not in a location that I can wire to the modem.
Move it? smile

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:48 AM

Later, maybe.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 08:50 AM

At your leisure of course.

Re: Folowing up - 08/12/10 11:20 AM

When the back says, "Rest, or I'm really going to hurt you!" I listen and obey.

wink

Update - 10/03/10 03:03 PM

I just had the time to troubleshoot the router settings. Essentially, I changed the channel on the router, rebooted the router, and now my wife's Mini's connection is back to full speed.