Automounting shares on client machines

Posted by: trey

Automounting shares on client machines - 06/24/10 12:04 PM

Ok, I realize this should be really easy, but does anyone know how I can have share points auto-mount on the desktop (or whatever) of client machines? In setting up my new server, I'vew got the groups and users pretty well sussed out, and even have the machines logging in via the server, but I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

I set the sharepoints to be seen by the appropriate users and groups, and I can connect to them on the network from various machines. But selecting "Enable Automount" for the volumes in Server Admin doesn't seem to work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

For the protocol, I'm choosing AFP (not sure what this'll mean for the Win boxes), and a custom mount path of /Volumes/share name. I'm guessing this is wrong? None of the other options seems correct.

Re: Automounting shares on client machines - 06/24/10 12:08 PM

Oh HECK!!!! now I've been goofing around, and the machines that are logging in through the server are unable to find /Volumes!!!

What did I do!?! How do I fix this?!?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Automounting shares on client machines - 06/24/10 06:48 PM

Mount the share on the client machines. Drag the share to Log in Items in Accounts prefs on the client machines.

You'll need to use SMB sharing for the Win boxes, they won't do AFP, they can't understand the HFS file system.

Here's some other stuff on sharing with OS X and Windows that may save a few hairs.

http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/windows-7-and-mac-os-x-sharing-t104898.html

Snow Leopard Server and Win sharing leaves a lot to be desired, I think I warned you already. Tiger worked so much better.

Re: Automounting shares on client machines - 06/24/10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: trey
Oh HECK!!!! now I've been goofing around, and the machines that are logging in through the server are unable to find /Volumes!!!

What did I do!?! How do I fix this?!?

You may want to just start over, seriously.

Here is a good source for setting it up. You may know all this already but there it is.

Here's the main seminars page.

Like I mentioned before, if you get the initial setup exact, it makes things easier all down the line. Fubar'd Windows sharing is a symptom of not setting things up right. Although some of it could also just be Snow Leopard Server. Sometimes there is no backing out of it, you have to fully wipe and reboot.

I'll never get tired of using that. grin

Re: Automounting shares on client machines - 06/25/10 06:48 AM

Well, I got it solved by changing the type of automount I was using. I know it's possible to do it the way you're saying, but that's how I've got it set up on all the machines now, and it seems really flaky. Do you think it would work better since this is actual OS X Server as opposed to the old G$ with 10.4 I've been using?

Re: Automounting shares on client machines - 06/25/10 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: trey
Well, I got it solved by changing the type of automount I was using. I know it's possible to do it the way you're saying, but that's how I've got it set up on all the machines now, and it seems really flaky. Do you think it would work better since this is actual OS X Server as opposed to the old G$ with 10.4 I've been using?
Can't say. What kind of flakes do you encounter?

Lynda.com has an excellent video on Snow Server setup. You'd have to get the $25 monthly membership to get to it.

The DVD is $150. shocked

My guess from looking around is that it can be had for less.

Re: Automounting shares on client machines - 06/25/10 08:51 AM

Quote:
What kind of flakes do you encounter?

Well, some of the Macs (the Windows machines just connect) need to have the password put in, one throws up errors at login, and none of them actually connect 'till you open up one of the folders on the shares. I've even tried making the shares the default location for Finder windows, but without the user opening the location, it won't log in, even on the ones that seem to retain the password.

I do remember that when I was working at the school newspaper and stuff, the guy had all these different shares that would just be there when you logged into the system. But his was set up so that no matter which machine you logged into, you had the same home folder and stuff, which was really nice, but I don't really need it here.

I did watch the video, and it confirmed that I'd set up everything correctly. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can just delete or archive the server and start that part over again without actually reinstalling OS X Server.

IN an interesting turn of events, I'm still logging into the server, but for some reason can't get file sharing to authenticate. :-p